Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Momentum builds for cancellation of Bills-Bengals game
(01-05-2023, 05:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A forfeit would allow things to go along as it was before the injury and still leaves them with a shot at the #1 seed but i don't see them even considering volunteering one. 

Therefore...they're no longer my friend. 

I don't see them playing backups from the strart though, since a Bills loss this weekend and a Bengals win would give Cincy the #2 seed.

What level of tiebreaker is it to get that result?

Both would be 12-4, no h2h game because it would be no-contested, both would be 8-3 in the AFC. 

I don't know the tiebreakers after that. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:43 PM)Roland Wrote: Play the AFC Championship game in Indy if it involves the Chiefs, Bengals, or Bills. Split the tickets between teams. If they announce it before Sunday the Bengals can sit starters and it's almost as good as getting the #1 seed.

The ignore feature is useful for people who can't stop posting politics.

2 seed is still at play.

If they announce neutral divisional and championship, then sit them.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:36 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: 1 seed if KC loses & we win out. 

1 seed is not possible if the Bills/Bengals game is a NC. KC already has 13 wins. Most the Bengals can get is 12. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What level of tiebreaker is it to get that result?

Both would be 12-4, no h2h game because it would be no-contested, both would be 8-3 in the AFC. 

Someone else broke it down. It goes all the way to SOV between these two teams .
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:36 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Oh yeah, we have to play starters for some of the time even if this game is irrelevant. I just wonder how useful a 2-3 quarters of meaningless football will be for playoff prep. Guess we;ll just have to try and get the guys to treat it like a proper game as much as possible, but that's tough to replicate.

Yes, the Bengals and Bills will have essentially played 16 games and the rest of the league 17. The Bengals only had 7 offensive snaps on Monday; 12 defensive snaps.  Starters needs to play at least half a game to stay sharp, but then should be pulled. The Ravens no doubt will rest their starters. They have no motivation to do anything other than rest their starters. So, even if the Bengals starters play only 1/2 the game, they should be able to get a victory.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:38 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Yup, Bills forfeit is what should happen.  I will keep repeating it.................fixes everything immediately with the least overall impact of any other option.

They won't do it because the optics would be that they're punishing a team for having compassion for their teammate.  If they were going to do that they would have just rescheduled the game for Wednesday and made the Bills forfeit themselves if they weren't ready to play.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If the Bengals have indeed now clinched the division because of a no contest, it completely invalidates the Ravens game as the Bengals can't get the #1 seed even with a W and a KC loss as 13-4 beats 12-4, and they can't un-clinch the division with a L. So are we going to be looking at a backup game this weekend? I keep going back to the fact that a Bills forfeit makes everything less janky.

The league was never going to force a forfeit on the Bill lest they become social media bad guys and force Roger into an office corner crying his eyes out over all  the hate.  But, as a concession to us, since now the 'no contest' resolution means the only way to get the #2 seed is to hit the Pats win/Bengals win parlay, the league should have schedule us for 4:25.  At least that way we would have known coming into game time if the Pats were victorious and we had a chance at the #2 seed.  Now, unless we decide to completely give up on the #2 seed and rest everyone, we're forced to trot everyone out there and risk injury for a game a Buffalo victory would make moot anyway.  Maybe they give us a concession on a neutral site?  Please?

It's just a shame because what would have been a division title earned by beating Buffalo and/or Baltimore now feels like it's been awarded by some league CPA somewhere.  What a totally ****** up situation.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 04:10 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Does it make the road more difficult? Yes, but can this team beat the top seeds away? They beat the chiefs and haven’t played the bills, but it looked like they were on the way to beating them Monday night.

This team can beat every team in the conference home or away. Won’t bother the players, won’t bother me one bit if they sit starters because of Monday then go on the road. They gotta play us and beat us. Not going to be easy when Burrow is your QB.

That's all nice and everything, but championship windows don't stay open forever, and you don't want to give up a competitive advantage no matter how confident you are.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:42 PM)Synric Wrote:

If the Bengals and Bills play as the 2nd and 3rd seed, that also should be at a neutral site. To gift Buffalo as the site for that matchup, when the game at Paycor was never resumed, would not go over well with fans most anywhere. It's all the TV announcers would talk about during the game, and if the Bengals lost, after the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:50 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The league was never going to force a forfeit on the Bill lest they become social media bad guys and force Roger into an office corner crying his eyes out over all  the hate.  But, as a concession to us, since now the 'no contest' resolution means the only way to get the #2 seed is to hit the Pats win/Bengals win parlay, the league should have schedule us for 4:25.  At least that way we would have known coming into game time if the Pats were victorious and we had a chance at the #2 seed.  Now, unless we decide to completely give up on the #2 seed and rest everyone, we're forced to trot everyone out there and risk injury for a game a Buffalo victory would make moot anyway.  Maybe they give us a concession on a neutral site?  Please?

It's just a shame because what would have been a division title earned by beating Buffalo and/or Baltimore now feels like it's been awarded by some league CPA somewhere.  What a totally ****** up situation.  

And you just know Baltimore is going to be coming after Burrow with everything they have to knock us out of the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:36 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Oh yeah, we have to play starters for some of the time even if this game is irrelevant. I just wonder how useful a 2-3 quarters of meaningless football will be for playoff prep. Guess we;ll just have to try and get the guys to treat it like a proper game as much as possible, but that's tough to replicate.

2 seed is still in play if Buffalo loses. Fortunately for the Bengals, the Pats want in too. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:52 PM)Nepa Wrote: If the Bengals and Bills play as the 2nd and 3rd seed, that also should be at a neutral site. To gift Buffalo as the site for that matchup, when the game at Paycor was never resumed, would not go over well with fans most anywhere. It's all the TV announcers would talk about during the game, and if the Bengals lost, after the game.

Yes I do hope the response to this will address a potential rematch, and where that would occur. The AFC Championship shouldn't be the main consideration here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 2 seed is still in play if Buffalo loses. Fortunately for the Bengals, the Pats want in too. 

Yes apologies you're right. Had virtually forgotten about the #2.
Reply/Quote

Still sucks.  Bengals were winning Monday and that would have put them in the two spot. As a season ticket holder, we are now getting screwed out of 

1. The Buffalo game
2. The Ravens game having #1 seed implications
3. The #2 seed and likely at least one extra home playoff game.  

It's totally not surprising that the team that gets screwed the most here is Cincinnati.  
Reply/Quote

Indy and Detroit are the obvious locations but they should also consider neutral site for the division round if it's between the Bengals and the Bills. 

Just ignoring that and focusing only on the #1 seed and AFCCG would be negligent and short-sighted. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:43 PM)Roland Wrote: Play the AFC Championship game in Indy if it involves the Chiefs, Bengals, or Bills.  Split the tickets between teams.   If they announce it before Sunday the Bengals can sit starters and it's almost as good as getting the #1 seed.

The ignore feature is useful for people who can't stop posting politics.

Okay then, let's not hear Bengal fans who are proponents of this bullshit complaining when the team is struggling in the snow in Buffalo in three weeks.

**************F O R F E I T  !!!   ***************
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What level of tiebreaker is it to get that result?

It goes H2H, like you said...didn't happen. Then it goes to conference record. Tied. Then it goes to common opponents (minimum of 4) which is also tied. Then it goes to SoV, which the Bengals have an advantage that the Bills cant make up. 

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And you just know Baltimore is going to be coming after Burrow with everything they have to knock us out of the playoffs.

There were some on here who were advocating even before Monday's incident (I'm not sure who and it's immaterial at this point anyway) that we rest our starters against Baltimore even if we had a shot at the #2 seed.  I'm starting to lean in that direction.  Keep our powder dry for Wildcard Weekend, and maybe the league will see fit to throw us a bone with some neutral site in the Division round or AFCCG.  My only concern with that approach would be that the team is still recovering mentally from Monday night and they'll have had no live game action, and only half a quarter at that, since two weeks before the playoff game.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:52 PM)Nepa Wrote: If the Bengals and Bills play as the 2nd and 3rd seed, that also should be at a neutral site. To gift Buffalo as the site for that matchup, when the game at Paycor was never resumed, would not go over well with fans most anywhere. It's all the TV announcers would talk about during the game, and if the Bengals lost, after the game.

If this doesnt happen its absolute bullshit. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ... not impossible for them to subconsciously give the better teams the benefit of the doubt on close calls.

Where do you think the whole notion of "better teams" (aka favorites) comes from?
Reply/Quote