Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
Aspiring rapper and father of 9...........
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Aspiring rapper and father of 9...........

The guy in Philly?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
One Presidential candidate has spoke clearly and consistently against the violence from all sides.

It's not the liar that currently holds the office.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: One Presidential candidate has spoke clearly and consistently against the violence from all sides.

It's not the liar that currently holds the office.

So, you're not going to apologize to Micky for baselessly calling him a racist?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 07:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The guy in Philly?

Yes. Well I've seen two different numbers actually. 7 and 9. Not sure what it is tbh. Aspiring rapper is a fancy term for unemployed. Apparently had a criminal record. Punched his mom in the face threatened to shoot up his baby mamas house over the years. Sounds like a real stand up guy. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yes. Well I've seen two different numbers actually. 7 and 9. Not sure what it is tbh. Aspiring rapper is a fancy term for unemployed. Apparently had a criminal record. Punched his mom in the face threatened to shoot up his baby mamas house over the years. Sounds like a real stand up guy. 

Honestly, none of that matters too much to me. He charged officers with a knife in hand. That's a surefire way to not have a good time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yes. Well I've seen two different numbers actually. 7 and 9. Not sure what it is tbh. Aspiring rapper is a fancy term for unemployed. Apparently had a criminal record. Punched his mom in the face threatened to shoot up his baby mamas house over the years. Sounds like a real stand up guy. 

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong.  It's law enforcement that is evil.  Please don't disrupt the narrative.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yes. Well I've seen two different numbers actually. 7 and 9. Not sure what it is tbh. Aspiring rapper is a fancy term for unemployed. Apparently had a criminal record. Punched his mom in the face threatened to shoot up his baby mamas house over the years. Sounds like a real stand up guy. 

Eh, I'm not a fan.  Too often past charges/accusations come out for the victim so they can be shown in a bad light to justify what was done to them whether they deserved the treatment or not.  In this case it seems the shooting was justified based on his actions with the police.  (There is an entire other discussion that can be had about mental health and how it is handled in the US that doesn't change this incident.)  We rarely see the charges/accusations against the officer(s) doing the shooting whether it was justified or not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:22 AM)GMDino Wrote: Eh, I'm not a fan.  Too often past charges/accusations come out for the victim so they can be shown in a bad light to justify what was done to them whether they deserved the treatment or not.  In this case it seems the shooting was justified based on his actions with the police.  (There is an entire other discussion that can be had about mental health and how it is handled in the US that doesn't change this incident.)  We rarely see the charges/accusations against the officer(s) doing the shooting whether it was justified or not.

I must disagree with this statement. Seems every time a LEO is made public due to a high profile case his/her past is gone over with a fine toothed comb.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 06:19 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I also think in order to have serious conversation about race and crime, we must not end the conversation at "black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime (violent or otherwise, but especially violent)." I don't think this board broaches topics of even if black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime, what percentage of black people actually commit the crimes, and is it fair to take a small percentage of population committing crimes to then apply profiling (conscious/subconscious) to the larger population of that type EDIT: I meant I don't think this board broaches enough into the weeds of this, as IMO, is necessary.

As far as I can tell, no one has argued to apply any kind of racial profiling.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I must disagree with this statement. Seems every time a LEO is made public due to a high profile case his/her past is gone over with a fine toothed comb.

Is it?  I'd say it's the little red car effect.  Those who don't want to see the police charged 99% of the time will notice when it happens but it doesn't happen as often as they think.  Many times we don't even know the officer's name for an extended period of time, for their own safety, while the victim's arrest history is already in the news.

But either way I'm not a fan of it.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 09:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So, you're not going to apologize to Micky for baselessly calling him a racist?

Dino made a comment about how we have a problem in this country with the way police treat minorities.

Mickey responded with this

(10-29-2020, 10:06 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: We do have a problem.  Immense inner city crime and violence and one race that wants to kill each other on a daily basis. 

Basically he was deflecting any blame from the police to "one race" that wants to kill each other on a daily basis.  However the facts show that almost the same number of white people kill each other on a daily basis is black people.

This got everyone backpeddling as hard as they could explaining the reasons they DID NOT brought up the high crime rate for blacks, but so far no one has explained exactly why he did bring it up in the first place.

So why was the high crime rate among blacks brought up to address the problem of police treating minorities differently from white people?  Does the high crime rate mean that minorities deserve to be treated differently by police?

And don't start telling me why it was NOT brought up.  Tell me why it was.

And I am guessing that Mickey is the only one who can really answer this.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Basically he was deflecting any blame from the police to "one race" that wants to kill each other on a daily basis.  However the facts show that almost the same number of white people kill each other on a daily basis is black people.

He wasn't deflecting anything and only GM and yourself seem to think he was.  Also, your last sentence states there is a problem as there are four to five times more white people than there are black (but you know this and for some reason are now feigning ignorance).  Again, you've cited this problem yourself in the past, it's odd to me that you are now mock offended by a point you've made yourself.

Quote:This got everyone backpeddling as hard as they could explaining the reasons they DID NOT brought up the high crime rate for blacks, but so far no one has explained exactly why he did bring it up in the first place.

Everyone?  The only person who could have even been perceived as "backpeddling" was Mickey, who sought to explain his position against GM's now utterly predictable allegations of racism.  I suppose now Hollodero and Bel are racists too? (You called that one btw, Hollo)

This isn't the first time your boy has been called out by multiple posters for this type of baseless allegation.  You want to defend him, that's fine.  Just know that your integrity takes a hit when you do so in this instance, especially as you've stated the exact same thing about the crime rate in the black community.  Even GM knew he blew it because he disappeared for the rest of the day like a fart in the wind.

Here's the real question you need to ask yourself, do you want a forum where people treat each other civilly or not?  If you do then you need to be able to call out your friends when they step over the line just as you would someone you dislike.  If you don't then just be honest about it so we know what we're dealing with.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dino made a comment about how we have a problem in this country with the way police treat minorities.

Mickey responded with this

Basically he was deflecting any blame from the police to "one race" that wants to kill each other on a daily basis.  However the facts show that almost the same number of white people kill each other on a daily basis is black people.

This got everyone backpeddling as hard as they could explaining the reasons they DID NOT brought up the high crime rate for blacks, but so far no one has explained exactly why he did bring it up in the first place.

So why was the high crime rate among blacks brought up to address the problem of police treating minorities differently from white people?  Does the high crime rate mean that minorities deserve to be treated differently by police?

And don't start telling me why it was NOT brought up.  Tell me why it was.

And I am guessing that Mickey is the only one who can really answer this.
I wasn't deflecting anything.  Think what you want.

Listen everyone, I will admit, without all the sarcastic humor this time, i'm not some super smart, highly educated guy.  I'm just some regular dude, who grew up in Fairfield and participating in the Bengals message board.

I don't have the ability to write as nicely or think as in depth as some on here.  I'm a big 46 year old kid who loves life, loves to have fun, have always had a steady job and I have a wonderful family.  I'm just an IT dude at a local, very rural Hospital.

If I have said anything to make someone think I am racist I apologize.  If I said anything about genetics that offended anyone I apologize for that also.  It was unintended and not made in any kind of demeaning way.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 10:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: As far as I can tell, no one has argued to apply any kind of racial profiling.

I think so too. My statement was directed at the idea that disproportionate commission of violent acts causes a natural (read fair) application of scrutiny against blacks. I think some of this scrutiny is in the form of profiling. While I don't believe anyone has argued for profiling in this thread, I'm sure I've heard justifications for extra scrutiny or at least to the idea that blacks shouldn't feel prejudicially discriminated against, because of the statistical justification. I'm simply pointing out that this usage of statistics is potentially an unfair justification unless it uses certain context. And I will repeat, I'm not sure myself what a deeper more nuanced usage of statistics will show.

I wasn't arguing against any specific idea advanced in this thread, but adding a general argument against certain ideas I'm sure exist in this board based on other threads I've read before. More of a food for thought statement, especially when a more specific thread is created in the future.

EDIT: 
I'm also making an argument against justification for extra scrutiny based on crime in the neighborhood or environment. Not saying high crime areas don't deserve scrutiny, but say in this hypothetical scenario where a tremendously high amount of crimes are committed in a specific neighborhood ( let's assume this neighborhood is 90% black), but is only committed by less than one percent of the neighborhood's population. Would it be fair for the other 99% to be frisked etc. every time a crime occurs? Would they be justified in feeling profiled? Especially because of economics, if they're not able to leave the neighborhood. I'm again not saying that this is what happens, but to know if this is broadly true or not we must look at statistics in a way that answers these questions. Stopping at "well blacks commit a disproportionate percentage of crimes" is simply not enough. What if ninety or higher percentage of black people are law abiding decent folks, but only 10 or less percent have committed the disproportionate amount of crimes? Should the ninety percent be policed differently as a whole when compared to safe neighborhoods? And when I say differently it includes being given less benefit of doubt as a whole. If innocent people perceive an unfair perception of discrimination by police ( unfair from civilian view point), should they be accepting of it simply based on an improper examination of statistics? 

I'm just saying that we as a board have not really examined the landscape at this depth. Where that examination leads, I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 01:01 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I wasn't deflecting anything.  Think what you want.

Listen everyone, I will admit, without all the sarcastic humor this time, i'm not some super smart, highly educated guy.  I'm just some regular dude, who grew up in Fairfield and participating in the Bengals message board.

I don't have the ability to write as nicely or think as in depth as some on here.  I'm a big 46 year old kid who loves life, loves to have fun, have always had a steady job and I have a wonderful family.  I'm just an IT dude at a local, very rural Hospital.

If I have said anything to make someone think I am racist I apologize.  If I said anything about genetics that offended anyone I apologize for that also.  It was unintended and not made in any kind of demeaning way.

People say things poorly around here a lot.  Blaming "one race" and the inner city citizens "sounded" (to me) like something invoking racism whether you are a racist or not.  We all try to be careful that we are not taken out of context and I took those two posts and made my response.  I won't apologize for doing it because we have to stand by what we say but I will apologize to you for the assumption that others made that because I called the statements dog whistles that meant YOU had to be a racist.  It doesn't mean that, it means the statements themselves invoked race as a reason solely.  I will be do better in the future.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 12:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He wasn't deflecting anything and only GM and yourself seem to think he was. 

Again, I understand the reason people have said he did NOT bring it up.

That is why I was asking why he DID bring it up.

BTW the fact that I have mentioned these stats before has nothing to do with the reason they were brought up in this thread.  I don't know why you are so obsessed with that point.  I don't dispute the stats.  I just want to know what they have to do with this discussion regarding the protests aginst police actions.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, I understand the reason people have said he did NOT bring it up.

BTW the fact that I have mentioned these stats before has nothing to do with the reason they were brought up in this thread.  I don't know why you are so obsessed with that point.  I don't dispute the stats.  I just want to know what they have to do with this discussion regarding the protests aginst police actions.

My $0.02...

Dino had just posted stating "We have a problem in this country and nobody wants to fix it"

Mickey replied with 'We do have a problem with black on black crime in inner cities"

Dino calls him racist in his typical meme fashion

Now I get your desire to fight for folks right to baselessly insult others in the forum, but calling Mickey racist for bringing it up was uncalled for IMO.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again, I understand the reason people have said he did NOT bring it up.

That would be a question he'd have to answer, and I believe he's essentially done that.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not commenting any more on this.
Reply/Quote