Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Overrated Bengals
Seeing as we have a thread for underrated players I figured we ought to have one for overrated players. Pretty simple, same idea and rules as the other.

I'll start. Chris Collinsworth. (Hold on....)

This doesn't mean he wasn't good. It just means that he's overrated. IMHO this has as much to do with his personality (then and now) and the fact that he's achieved so much post NFL career.

-Did you know he only played 8 seasons, and that in the final 2 he produced little to nothing. (To be fair, strike in 87, but still...the man only had 6 years of decent production)

-In 1988, the year of the Superbowl, he started zero games and only had 227 yards receiving.

-He only hit double digit touchdowns once.

-6 of his 8 season he had 6 touchdowns or less.

-Never even caught 70 season.

-3 of his 8 years resulted in 1 TD or less.

-Never hit 1,200 yards. 4 of 8 season under 1,000.

-Names around him in all time receiving yards: Wayne Crebet, Dwayne Bowe, Jerricho Cotchery, Deion Branch....

Now I know it was a different time, but there's plenty of guys from that era that well outperformed him. Heck, he wasn't even the best WR on his own team in many years. But I think his fame and older fan's nostalgia has given him more recongization than he deserves. Guys like Isaac Curtis and Carl Pickens and TJ should be immediately thought as better all time Bengals greats, but many times they're not.

Chris Collinsworth - Decent receiver, who played on some pretty good teams. But all in all, not that great. Nervous
Reply/Quote
This question always causes a lot of misunderstandings.

I think Collinsworth was a very good WR for the Bengals.

I also think he is a little overrated. A big part of that has to do with the fact that he blew up as a rookie in a Super Bowl Season. There was a big connection in the minds of Bengal fans (and national media) between Collinsworth's big Rookie of the Year season and the Bengals becoming a Super Bowl team. Also we don't think much of a rookie having 1000 receiving yards, but when Collinsworth did it in 1981 he was the first NFL player to do that since 1954.

Plus it did not hurt that he was a white WR.
Reply/Quote
Odell Thurman is pretty overrated. He had some turnovers, but he was out of position a lot, and opposing teams ran all over that defense with him at MLB.
Reply/Quote
Andrew Hawkins was a good WR but not worth the money Cleveland shelled out. Good for him.

At best he was a #3 WR.
Reply/Quote
Robert Geathers played ten seasons and had 1 season over 5 Sacks in his career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Madieu Williams.
Jermaine Gresham.
Reply/Quote
Akili Smith Ninja

Rudi Johnson.

I loved Rudi, but he ran behind some good FBs and a bruising o line.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Collinsworth is really that overrated. When the list of best Bengal receivers is brought up, his name, if on the list at all, is very far down it. I never really see or hear anyone calling him great. I'd consider him fairly rated. He wasn't a bum, he wasn't a star and everyone seems pretty much in agreement on that, in my experience.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 05:42 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think Collinsworth is really that overrated.  When the list of best Bengal receivers is brought up, his name, if on the list at all, is very far down it.  I never really see or hear anyone calling him great.  I'd consider him fairly rated.  He wasn't a bum, he wasn't a star and everyone seems pretty much in agreement on that, in my experience.

It's a lot of the national media types that overrate him. I was listening to a football podcast where he was going to be the guest. He was introduced as one of the great WRs in the history of the NFL.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 05:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's a lot of the national media types that overrate him. I was listening to a football podcast where he was going to be the guest. He was introduced as one of the great WRs in the history of the NFL.

Okay.  That's pretty far over the top.  I guess I was just thinking more in terms of Bengal fans.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 05:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's a lot of the national media types that overrate him. I was listening to a football podcast where he was going to be the guest. He was introduced as one of the great WRs in the history of the NFL.

That just means they want him back on again
Reply/Quote
Ced Benson was overrated by a number of fans. He offered in zilch in tbe receiving game, below average big play ability, and posted ridiculously low yards per carry averages. His best attribute was not getting hurt.

Cedric Benson may be one of the worst backs we've had in the last 30 years. Him Chris Perry, BGE, Harold Green....? Anybody else?
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 06:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ced Benson was overrated by a number of fans.  He offered in zilch in tbe receiving game, below average big play ability, and posted ridiculously low yards per carry averages.  His best attribute was not getting hurt.

Cedric Benson may be one of the worst backs we've had in the last 30 years.  Him Chris Perry, BGE, Harold Green....? Anybody else?

I will agree with this one. So many people thought he was going to be a 10+ TD RB. He got 7 in 2010 and that was a career best. People were slobbing all over that guy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 06:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I will agree with this one. So many people thought he was going to be a 10+ TD RB. He got 7 in 2010 and that was a career best. People were slobbing all over that guy.

He got credit for coming off the couch and being better than the mess that came before him. 

He did have one unforgettable night in a playoff game, though.  Wasn't his fault the QB couldn't complete a pass and the kicker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron

[Image: Michael-Jackson-Popcorn.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 06:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ced Benson was overrated by a number of fans.  He offered in zilch in tbe receiving game, below average big play ability, and posted ridiculously low yards per carry averages.  His best attribute was not getting hurt.

Cedric Benson may be one of the worst backs we've had in the last 30 years.  Him Chris Perry, BGE, Harold Green....? Anybody else?

Remember Kenny Irons? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 06:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Remember Kenny Irons? 

It's kinda hard to even rate a guy on one carry, isn't it?

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 06:14 PM)McC Wrote: He got credit for coming off the couch and being better than the mess that came before him. 

He did have one unforgettable night in a playoff game, though.  Wasn't his fault the QB couldn't complete a pass and the kicker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

He definitely improved the running game after we chose to roll with Chris Perry. Jesus, that's sad to type.

However, after that 08 season, you'd think the guy was Jerome Bettis (in his prime) the way people were hyping him. Imagine how much more the hype would've been had we not employed Gary Russell for one week during the offseason.

I'll also go ahead and beat bfine to the punch, since we're trashing his boy, and throw out Dezmon Briscoe.
Reply/Quote
Jerome Simpson.
Reply/Quote
Marvin "Whiff" White
Reply/Quote