Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
(02-05-2016, 06:03 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Definitely underrated, as was Ozark Mountain Daredevils......my picks were based on the perception of those acts being considered "novelties", when they are indeed very good artists.  Just look at that lineup in The Blues Brothers, hell, the backbone of Stax/Vox Records is in it with Colonel Cropper and Duck Dunn.

Props to you! One of the greatest studio trumpet players ever played with the Blues Brothers Band: The late great Alan Rubin aka "Mr. Fabulous." Alan had the best tone I ever heard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For rap, Spose, Token, and Lil Dicky are incredible on the mic. They get love, but they are all very underrated.

I think Dave Grohl is seriously underrated. He's been in 2 amazing bands with Nirvana and Foo Fighters. He's an incredible musician in his own right though. He can play multiple instruments well. The first Foo Fighters album was completely him. He wrote the songs, sang the songs, played all of the instruments, and then put it all together.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:34 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: For rap, Spose, Token, and Lil Dicky are incredible on the mic. They get love, but they are all very underrated.

I think Dave Grohl is seriously underrated. He's been in 2 amazing bands with Nirvana and Foo Fighters. He's an incredible musician in his own right though. He can play multiple instruments well. The first Foo Fighters album was completely him. He wrote the songs, sang the songs, played all of the instruments, and then put it all together.

I wish Dave would just stick to drumming.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I discovered Supertramp a few years ago and they really grew on me, so I'll toss them out there.

I'll also throw Rancid out there. They're one of the few punk bands from my youth that I still like to listen to. Their newer material has become watered down, but IMO their first five albums were all really good, a couple great. I can't say that for a lot of band I like. Tim Armstrong is a massively underrated songwriter, especially for the genre, and Matt Freeman is one of the best bassists alive.
Reply/Quote
Just did a quick skim of the thread. Did we do this on the old board? I seem to remember it but I didn't see any posts from myself in here so either they were deleted as offensive or we had this thread on the MS. LMAO

I didn't see Jeff Beck or Mark Knopfler named.

I did see Bela Fleck, who I thought of, but wouldn't have listed since the OP said try to keep it to people most folks have heard of. (For those who don't know, one of the characters in Spinal Tap was modeled on Beck, and Knopfler was a member of Dire Straits - so you have heard of them even if you didn't know you had, lol. I am sure most of the people posting in the thread knew those things, just throwing it out there for the lurkers.)

I would argue almost everyone in the E-Street Band from Bruce to Steven to Nils and on down the line is under rated individually and collectively (OK, not Patti). A stunning number of people don't know any of that band's catalogue and/or don't realize how good all three of the guitarists I mentioned are...

Everyone knows who Eric Clapton is. Clapton and many other great guitarists mention Lonnie Mack as a big influence. So, if you don't know who he is, find out and you will agree under rated since Clapton and others call him an icon but the average person has never heard of him.

Everyone knows CSNY. But, S and Y had a short lived project, "The Stills Young Band." Underappreciated they are. And for that matter, Young is probably underrated as a musician, as are the Crazy Horse lads.

Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, and Buck Owens are three more that musicians hold in high regard but many people never really understood just how damn good they were. Glen did a ton of studio work and I think Roy did too. Seriously, if you have never listened to those three I dare you to listen and deny the talent level.

The Mavericks are a great band, ditto Steve Earle and the Dukes and both are under rated.

I will think of some more offensive names and post them later, Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Well, here's some irony.

A Joe Bonamassa ad popped up at the bottom of the page as I scrolled back through.

Clearly this was a sign from the music gods to include his name in the thread.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 07:28 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, here's some irony.

A Joe Bonamassa ad popped up at the bottom of the page as I scrolled back through.

Clearly this was a sign from the music gods to include his name in the thread.
I don't think he's underrated.

That's why you see ads of his.

He's frickin' everywhere NOW !!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 07:25 PM)xxlt Wrote: Just did a quick skim of the thread. Did we do this on the old board? I seem to remember it but I didn't see any posts from myself in here so either they were deleted as offensive or we had this thread on the MS.  LMAO

I did see Bela Fleck, who I thought of, but wouldn't have listed since the OP said try to keep it to people most folks have heard of. (For those who don't know, one of the characters in Spinal Tap was modeled on Beck, and Knopfler was a member of Dire Straits - so you have heard of them even if you didn't know you had, lol. I am sure most of the people posting in the thread knew those things, just throwing it out there for the lurkers.)

I would argue almost everyone in the E-Street Band from Bruce to Steven to Nils and on down the line is under rated individually and collectively (OK, not Patti). A stunning number of people don't know any of that band's catalogue and/or don't realize how good all three of the guitarists I mentioned are...

Everyone knows who Eric Clapton is. Clapton and many other great guitarists mention Lonnie Mack as a big influence. So, if you don't know who he is, find out and you will agree under rated since Clapton and others call him an icon but the average person has never heard of him.

Everyone knows CSNY. But, S and Y had a short lived project, "The Stills Young Band." Underappreciated they are. And for that matter, Young is probably underrated as a musician, as are the Crazy Horse lads.

Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, and Buck Owens are three more that musicians hold in high regard but many people never really understood just how damn good they were. Glen did a ton of studio work and I think Roy did too. Seriously, if you have never listened to those three I dare you to listen and deny the talent level.

The Mavericks are a great band, ditto Steve Earle and the Dukes and both are under rated.

I will think of some more offensive names and post them later,  Ninja
Mark Knopfler was mentioned on the 1st page. 

You're damn straight about everything else you mentioned.

Glen Campbell was a monster on guitar.  Most people only know his popular radio songs.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mark Knopfler was mentioned on the 1st page. 

Glen Campbell was a monster on guitar.  Most people only know his popular radio songs.

Thanks.

And thanks.

There is a film (probably can find it on Netflix) about Glen touring in spite of his Alzheimer's a few years ago...    
It is called, "I'll Be Me." I heartily recommend it.
Reply/Quote
the whole canned heat band was underrated back in the day
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 07:25 PM)xxlt Wrote: Just did a quick skim of the thread. Did we do this on the old board? I seem to remember it but I didn't see any posts from myself in here so either they were deleted as offensive or we had this thread on the MS. LMAO

I will think of some more offensive names and post them later, Ninja
Nils Lofgren doesn't even look like he knows what he's doing on a guitar... Then you hear him play.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 01:56 PM)jason Wrote: Nils Lofgren doesn't even look like he knows what he's doing on a guitar... Then you hear him play.

In other news, Happy Birthday Marcia Ball. She is an under rated piano player. Here you go amigo:

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 09:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Mark Knopfler was mentioned on the 1st page. 

I just recently found out just how bad Campbell was on guitar.....wow.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 04:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: I just recently found out just how bad Campbell was on guitar.....wow.

Reply/Quote
Nels Cline-  guitarist for the band Wilco.  Please go check him out if you haven't ever heard of or seen before.

Otherwise, I'm throwing the whole Wilco band into the most underrated thread. 

Band members[edit]

[Image: 220px-Wilco_Second_Night_of_Winterlude%2...C_2014.jpg]
[/url]
Wilco Second Night of Winterlude, December 6, 2014
Current members
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 03:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Nels Cline-  guitarist for the band Wilco.  Please go check him out if you haven't ever heard of or seen before.

Otherwise, I'm throwing the whole Wilco band into the most underrated thread. 

Band members[edit]

[Image: 220px-Wilco_Second_Night_of_Winterlude%2...C_2014.jpg]
[/url]
Wilco Second Night of Winterlude, December 6, 2014
Current members

only song i know by wilco is the wilco song but its kickass
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 06:36 PM)magikod Wrote: only song i know by wilco is the wilco song but its kickass

You need to go back to the beginning. Start with the first record... Being There, and work your way up to now. You won't be disappointed.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 06:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote:

Yep, I saw that one....far cry from Wichita Lineman!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I enjoy Harry Chaplin music as well.. has a few well known songs especially cats in the cradle
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 06:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote:

Ha! I almost posted this the other day. There is another good one with him and Roy Clark and Willie and Waylon and a ton of other musicians in like a group interview... I will see if I can find it again...
Reply/Quote