Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated Band/Musician
(03-22-2017, 02:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I enjoy Harry Chaplin music as well..  has a few well known songs  especially cats in the cradle

There is an old folk song called Lena's Cafe... can't remember who did it...

There is a line that goes, "Stan Rogers, Harry Chapin, and Steve Goodman too! They've all been right here on this stage..."

Those are three talented dudes right there!

Here is the clip I was talking about with all those musicians... if anyone finds a link to the whole program I would love to watch it

JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
http://www.caffelena.org/

I can't find the song, but here is a link to Caffe Lena's website. That's a bucket list thing for me - to see a show there. Any body ever been? Over 35,000 artists have performed there since 1960 - wow!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

You can jump to nine minutes to hear Wichita Lineman played exquisitely but the whole interview is pretty cool too. Guitar geeks will like it.
Reply/Quote
They've had commercial success, but I've always thought the Killers were underrated. I've had skeptics come with me to shows and go "oh, man, they're incredible live". They're one of those bands that are even better live than in the studio.

Another one like that is The Lumineers.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2017, 07:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They've had commercial success, but I've always thought the Killers were underrated. I've had skeptics come with me to shows and go "oh, man, they're incredible live". They're one of those bands that are even better live than in the studio.

Another one like that is The Lumineers
The Lumineers were in DSM this past weekend.  Missed the show but have heard nothing but really great reviews from folks that did go to it. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Kool & the Gang 1976 and before, not the "Celebrate" Kool & the Gang but the "Who's Gonna Take the Weight" Kool & the Gang. 

Chase - Bill Chase was a MASTER Trumpet Player. Listen to the note Chase hits at the end of "Hades(Pluto)" and know that there is no one out there that can do that. 

Parliament - Those who know won't think of them as underrated but they truly are. Any Hip Hop out there owes their success to these guys.

The Time - just listen to "777-9311" written by Prince by the way, and "Gigolos Get Lonely Too" and you'll understand.

Harry Nilsson - "Without You", "Lime in the Coconut" and the theme song from "Midnight Cowboy" I can't remember the name. 
Reply/Quote
johnny winter if not mentioned above...RIP
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I forgot one, 

This guy is way underrated and never got the recognition he deserved mostly because his second album really stunk. 

I'm talking about none other than...

Terrence Trent D'arby.

His first album is fantastic called "Introducing the Hardline" I believe but his second and last album, I think it was his last called "Neither Fish Nor Flesh" just wasn't any good.

I highly recommend the first one though.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 11:11 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I forgot one, 

This guy is way underrated and never got the recognition he deserved mostly because his second album really stunk. 

I'm talking about none other than...

Terrence Trent D'arby.

His first album is fantastic called "Introducing the Hardline" I believe but his second and last album, I think it was his last called "Neither Fish Nor Flesh" just wasn't any good.

I highly recommend the first one though.

Even though they're in the Hall of Fame...  The Animals are often forgotten as a classic band.

I never knew that Andy Summers of was in it for the second incarnation.  He then went on to being in The Police.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 06:10 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Even though they're in the Hall of Fame...  The Animals are often forgotten as a classic band.

I never knew that Andy Summers of was in it for the second incarnation.  He then went on to being in The Police.

Very true about The Animals, great classic rock band IMHO.

Saw that the lead singer sang that one song i hear on the radio all the time, forget the name but goes...

"Jeremiah was a bullfrog, he was a good friend of mine"...

The Animals are always known for House of the Rising Sun but they have lots of great songs.

Also, always liked The Kinks.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 02:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I enjoy Harry Chaplin music as well..  has a few well known songs  especially cats in the cradle

I can play and sing that song. Great song by Chapin.

(03-22-2017, 02:41 PM)xxlt Wrote: Ha! I almost posted this the other day. There is another good one with him and Roy Clark and Willie and Waylon and a ton of other musicians in like a group interview... I will see if I can find it again...

Did he ever play with Chet Atkins? Glen reminds me a lot of Chet.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 07:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I can play and sing that song. Great song by Chapin.

Did he ever play with Chet Atkins? Glen reminds me a lot of Chet.

Well, not sure about that, but here he is covering Chet with a song familiar to all...

Reply/Quote
I may have posted this before, but whatever, I have no shame in sharing this again. I have seen him do this song live and it is incredible. Short history of the guitar with one man playing the part(s) of numerous guitarists. Really amazing:

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 08:40 AM)xxlt Wrote: I may have posted this before, but whatever, I have no shame in sharing this again. I have seen him do this song live and it is incredible. Short history of the guitar with one man playing the part(s) of numerous guitarists. Really amazing:

Couple other recordings of this on You Tube... slightly different schtick and perhaps better audio on some...The DC show with the red guitar for example:

Reply/Quote
And if anyone ever asks you who the greatest living American songwriter is, Mary Chapin Carpenter is never a bad guess. Cheese and crackers that woman can write songs!
Reply/Quote
Prince was obviously a huge pop star; however, I think he is often overlooked as a musician:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 05:25 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Kool & the Gang 1976 and before, not the "Celebrate" Kool & the Gang but the "Who's Gonna Take the Weight" Kool & the Gang. 

Chase - Bill Chase was a MASTER Trumpet Player. Listen to the note Chase hits at the end of "Hades(Pluto)" and know that there is no one out there that can do that. 

Parliament - Those who know won't think of them as underrated but they truly are. Any Hip Hop out there owes their success to these guys.

The Time - just listen to "777-9311" written by Prince by the way, and "Gigolos Get Lonely Too" and you'll understand.

Harry Nilsson - "Without You", "Lime in the Coconut" and the theme song from "Midnight Cowboy" I can't remember the name. 

There was a movie on Netflix called something like "Who the hell was Harry Nilsson." It may still be there... good film.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 08:35 AM)xxlt Wrote: Well, not sure about that, but here he is covering Chet with a song familiar to all...

Cool stuff XXLT. Just saying both Glen and Chet are great pickers.

Glen is definately more country...
Reply/Quote
I didn't go back thru this whole thread, but has anyone ever mentioned Junior Brown?  Shut the front door, if no one has yet.  This guy can play a mean guitar.  In fact, he's so good, he has a double necked guitar built just for himself.  If you ever get a chance to watch him live, do yourself a favor and grab a seat. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm going way outside of the box here....

The Blues Brothers Band and Junior Brown.

(05-17-2017, 12:58 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I didn't go back thru this whole thread, but has anyone ever mentioned Junior Brown?  Shut the front door, if no one has yet.  This guy can play a mean guitar.  In fact, he's so good, he has a double necked guitar built just for himself.  If you ever get a chance to watch him live, do yourself a favor and grab a seat. 

*Ahem*......1st page bro.... Smirk Good Post

Matter of fact, I wheeled my bar out of the garage Saturday night into the driveway, built a fire in the pit, and we jammed out "Guit With It" 1st album up....good start to the evening. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote