Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Myles Murphy is a Bum
If they drafted for need which they should have done, they would have taken the tight end that Detroit took a few picks later.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:11 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Nicomo Cosca
The only “embarrassing” losses came while Burrow was not healthy yet (Browns & Titans). I do not consider losing by a FG to one of the hottest QB’s in the league an embarrassing loss. Frustrating sure, but it was a hard fought game, and they were a Boyd catch away from probably winning it.

Oh, ok so I didn't specify which part of the team or game was embarrassing. Yesterday, the D giving up over 500 yds and their one receiver with 150 himself? What was that caption someone posted that stated Hou had 17 explosive gain plays? the most by an NFL team since 2000? That to me is embarrassing.

And if it was Mike White or somebody I’d agree with you, but Stroud has looked pretty damn special so far this season. Kid had one pick coming into yesterday’s game despite basically living off of pushing the ball down the field. That’s insane.

Reply/Quote
Not saying Murphy won't be a bust. Just saying it is too early to tell. Cam Hayward was drafted at just about the same spot as Murphy (31st) and he only had one sack an 11 tackles his rookie season.

I ca post dozens of other examples of very good NFL players who did nothing their rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:41 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Only one of those pass rushers actually makes plays (Hendrickson). 

The fact that he's behind a bunch of no-names is bad.  He's Jackson Carman all over again.

Hubbard is not a bum.. not many teams have two elite ends like Hendrickson.. he is a rookie but would like to see a bit more impact.
Reply/Quote
Why single out Myles Murphy? Other than Cam Taylor-Britt and Germaine Pratt the entire Cincinnati defense looked like they were playing in slow motion yesterday.
Reply/Quote
Once again….

I think ppl thought it was a joke when the coaches said he was a project and wouldn’t help much this year

This has not changed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If they drafted for need which they should have done, they would have taken the tight end that Detroit took a few picks later.

In hindsight yes but La Porta went higher than projected regardless
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:54 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Not saying Murphy won't be a bust. Just saying it is too early to tell. Cam Hayward was drafted at just about the same spot as Murphy (31st) and he only had one sack an 11 tackles his rookie season.

I ca post dozens of other examples of very good NFL players who did nothing their rookie season.

Hayward is a defensive tackle.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 02:47 PM)Housh Wrote: Once again….

I think ppl thought it was a joke when the coaches said he was a project and wouldn’t help much this year

This has not changed

280 pound defensive ends should NOT be overpowered by a WR at the goal line, project or not.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He simply was not a good a 1st Round selection.  He dropped several spots according to the draft "experts", teams didnt take him for a reason...

He dropped several spots because he was never a good pass rusher in college.  Why would a team spend a 1st round draft pick on a DE who wasnt that great getting pressure at the collegiate level?  That's why no team picked him.  Murphy was not going to suddenly be this great pass rushing DE in the NFL going up against NFL linemen when he wasnt great playing against college talent.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:08 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: The Cheifs have been right there with us and have drafted later but they still managed to land Mcduffie. 

The notion that a contedner has to take a project that can't immediately contribute is  bullocks.

McDuffie was drafted before our pick.  He was taken 21st with the pick they got from the Dolphins
'
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 02:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hayward is a defensive tackle.

So what. One sack and 11 total tackles are not good numbers for a DT
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:14 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: So what. One sack and 11 total tackles are not good numbers for a DT

Totally different position, with totally different roles and stats. Surely you can find a DE comparison?

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 03:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He dropped several spots because he was never a good pass rusher in college.  Why would a team spend a 1st round draft pick on a DE who wasnt that great getting pressure at the collegiate level?  That's why no team picked him.  Murphy was not going to suddenly be this great pass rushing DE in the NFL going up against NFL linemen when he wasnt great playing against college talent.

I said this on draft night. He is a more athletic Hubbard, if we are lucky.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: McDuffie was drafted before our pick.  He was taken 21st with the pick they got from the Dolphins
'

You're  nitpicking the example and not looking at the greater point. I don't think the difference between the 21st and 29th picks go from starters to project players.
Reply/Quote
People at like being a late first rookie means we can’t expect much. His stats are meh for a third rounder.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 02:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: 280 pound defensive ends should NOT be overpowered by a WR at the goal line, project or not.

Wait huh?

Able to find a link on YouTube?

That’d be a bad play but anything can happen. He could’ve planted wrong and threw off his balance
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 05:34 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: You're  nitpicking the example and not looking at the greater point. I don't think the difference between the 21st and 29th picks go from starters to project players.

Pretty big difference actually
Reply/Quote
People wondered why Murphy fell in the 1st round.
It's (likely) because he wasn't ready to be an immediate contributor.
Bengals felt they had a good enough roster that they could afford taking a guy with great potential but needed some time to refine.

Was it a decision I would have made? No
Does that mean Murphy is a bust because he hasn't already played great in just 9 games of his career? Also no
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They have a real problem with their 1st round picks outside of slam dunk can’t miss guys like Burrow and Chase.

It’s bad when you usually have higher expectations for our 2nd round picks.

You can't just call Burrow and Chase "slam dunk, can't miss guys" when other teams have drafted "slam dunk can't miss guys" and they have missed.

The Bengals are probably well above average when it comes to hit rate.

Dax, Chase, Burrow. Jonah, WJ3, Dennard, Eifert, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, AJ and Gresham were hits

Price, Ross and Ogbeuhi were complete misses.  That's a pretty good hit rate.
Reply/Quote