Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Myles Murphy is a Bum
(11-13-2023, 06:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You can't just call Burrow and Chase "slam dunk, can't miss guys" when other teams have drafted "slam dunk can't miss guys" and they have missed.

The Bengals are probably well above average when it comes to hit rate.

Dax, Chase, Burrow. Jonah, WJ3, Dennard, Eifert, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick, AJ and Gresham were hits

Price, Ross and Ogbeuhi were complete misses.  That's a pretty good hit rate.

Yes you absolutely can call Burrow and Chase (who were 2/3 of the greatest college offense of all time) slam dunks. What are we even doing here? LOL

And several of the guys you mentioned were fairly mediocre. WJ3? Dennard? We must have very different definitions of nailing a 1st round pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes you absolutely can call Burrow and Chase (who were 2/3 of the greatest college offense of all time) slam dunks. What are we even doing here? LOL

And several of the guys you mentioned were fairly mediocre. WJ3? Dennard? We must have very different definitions of nailing a 1st round pick.

How did Charles Rogers and RG3 pan out?  Those were "can't miss" guys.  

I didn't say we nailed those picks, but we got hits on them.  Most teams average about 50% in the first round.

Hell, the Chiefs have had:

McDuffie, Karlaftis, and Mahomes and Marcus Peters

CEH, Dee Ford, Dontari Poe and Jonathan Baldwin.  Plus they drafted Eric Fisher #1 overall.  They aren't lighting up the first round.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How did Charles Rogers and RG3 pan out?  Those were "can't miss" guys.  

I didn't say we nailed those picks, but we got hits on them.  Most teams average about 50% in the first round.

Hell, the Chiefs have had:

McDuffie, Karlaftis, and Mahomes and Marcus Peters

CEH, Dee Ford, Dontari Poe and Jonathan Baldwin.  Plus they drafted Eric Fisher #1 overall.  They aren't lighting up the first round.

I don’t even know who Charles Rogers is, but google tells me you’re going back a full 20 years to 2003, which is a hell of a long time ago to use as one of your examples.

RG3 was good, he just had his career derailed by injuries. Same as Eifert. And funny you mention Karlaftis in this thread (both DE’s taken at the end of the round) cause most Bengals fans would probably kill for that level of impact out of Murphy.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:05 PM)Housh Wrote: Wait huh?

Able to find a link on YouTube?

That’d be a bad play but anything can happen. He could’ve planted wrong and threw off his balance

A link?  Did you not watch the Texans the game?  The run scoring TD right at Murphy?  A WR took him out of the play, easy TD.  

No idea why the video player isnt working but here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/elAyt6UwK2w

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Totally different position, with totally different roles and stats.  Surely you can find a DE comparison?

Doesn't really matter.  If we had used a first round pick on a DT and he only had 5 tackles so far you would be calling him a bust.

But Jason-Pierre-Paul was taken in the first round and he had zero sacks and 9 tackles through his first four games.  The next year he was 4th in Defensive Player of the Year voting.  And Cam Jordan was a first round pick who also had zero sacks through his first 9 games but was selected to 8 Pro Bowl teams and One All Pro.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A link?  Did you not watch the Texans the game?  The run scoring TD right at Murphy?  A WR took him out of the play, easy TD.  

No idea why the video player isnt working but here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/elAyt6UwK2w

Holy shit that was bad

A damn WR stoned his shit the whole run

Wow

That’s a problem
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 12:08 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: The Cheifs have been right there with us and have drafted later but they still managed to land Mcduffie. 

The notion that a contedner has to take a project that can't immediately contribute is  bullocks.

Chiefs also grabbed DE Karlaftis around the same low rd 1 draft spot as we took Murphy and hes been a  solid performer for them....and dont get me started on Pacheco in 7th round! 
Bengals have serious issues evaluating and developing talent in the trenches on both sides of ball. I hope they poach a scout off the Browns or Eagles in offseason. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 10:34 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: Doesn't really matter.  If we had used a first round pick on a DT and he only had 5 tackles so far you would be calling him a bust.

But Jason-Pierre-Paul was taken in the first round and he had zero sacks and 9 tackles through his first four games.  The next year he was 4th in Defensive Player of the Year voting.  And Cam Jordan was a first round pick who also had zero sacks through his first 9 games but was selected to 8 Pro Bowl teams and One All Pro.

Those are much better comparisons than a DT, it is not intelligent to use a different position, and I never called anyone a bust - do not project with me. 
But you still had to go back 13 years?  That isnt very encouraging.

If Myles can turn it on like JPP and Jordan that would be fantastic.  JPP ended up with 20 sacks his first 2 seasons.  Cam had 8 his 2nd year.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 11:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Chiefs also grabbed DE Karlaftis around the same low rd 1 draft spot as we took Murphy and hes been a  solid performer for them.

Murphy has more sacks than Karlaftis had after his first 9 games.
Reply/Quote
Murphy recorded his first sack yesterday. Maybe we're seeing some slow growth. Let's hope his pass rushing game develops and becomes strong.
Reply/Quote
2nd! But there is still questions. Hopefully they get him more playing time and experience.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Starting is one thing, but a Super Bowl contending team has to get something out of a 1st round pick. Both him and Ossai have been beyond disappointing.

Ossai has been a MAJOR disappointment this year?  Does he have PTSD this year because of that personal foul last year in the Playoffs?  Good god.  I've never seen a player with so much potential one year, go invisible the next year so quickly as Ossai.  
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:36 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Ossai has been a MAJOR disappointment this year?  Does he have PTSD this year because of that personal foul last year in the Playoffs?  Good god.  I've never seen a player with so much potential one year, go invisible the next year so quickly as Ossai.  

I’m also of the belief that his mental is still messed up from the afc title game, and it’s hurting his growth

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: 2nd! But there is still questions. Hopefully they get him more playing time and experience.

Oops! My bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:36 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Ossai has been a MAJOR disappointment this year?  Does he have PTSD this year because of that personal foul last year in the Playoffs?  Good god.  I've never seen a player with so much potential one year, go invisible the next year so quickly as Ossai.  

The AFC title ruined him

Honestly wouldn’t be counting on him at all next season

Dude hasn’t done shit all year when he should’ve been a 5 sack guy easy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:25 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Murphy recorded his first sack yesterday. Maybe we're seeing some slow growth. Let's hope his pass rushing game develops and becomes strong.

(11-27-2023, 10:27 AM)jj22 Wrote: 2nd! But there is still questions. Hopefully they get him more playing time and experience.

Yes and a couple nice pressures, one where he hit Pickett's arm and created an incompletion and one where he was right in his 
face that created another one. Murphy looked good at times yesterday, great to see.

(11-27-2023, 10:54 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m also of the belief that his mental is still messed up from the afc title game, and it’s hurting his growth

(11-27-2023, 11:47 AM)Housh Wrote: The AFC title ruined him

Honestly wouldn’t be counting on him at all next season

Dude hasn’t done shit all year when he should’ve been a 5 sack guy easy

Either Ossai is still injured or what you say is true and he is mentally messed up after that or both.

Thought we would of seen him get at least a couple Sacks by now.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes and a couple nice pressures, one where he hit Pickett's arm and created an incompletion and one where he was right in his 
face that created another one. Murphy looked good at times yesterday, great to see.

Either Ossai is still injured or what you say is true and he is mentally messed up after that or both.

Thought we would of seen him get at least a couple Sacks by now.

Murphy was the third highest graded defender yesterday if I remember correctly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Murphy was the third highest graded defender yesterday if I remember correctly.

Makes sense from what I saw, made a nice run stop too. In a losing effort this is what you want to see along with DJ Turner, 
Jordan Battle and Iosivas making nice plays. I bet we see Charlie Jones break a big return again this season as well. Ivey made 
a nice ST's play etc.

The youth playing well is what you want to see in a lost season. Hope we lose out, but our youth looks great in doing so so we 
can add some great youth early in the Draft. Sure are some great talents to be had in this one.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense from what I saw, made a nice run stop too. In a losing effort this is what you want to see along with DJ Turner, 
Jordan Battle and Iosivas making nice plays. I bet we see Charlie Jones break a big return again this season as well. Ivey made 
a nice ST's play etc.

The youth playing well is what you want to see in a lost season. Hope we lose out, but our youth looks great in doing so so we 
can add some great youth early in the Draft. Sure are some great talents to be had in this one.

Ivey has potential. Was a good CB in college, but made weird mistakes at times that led to big plays.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 03:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ivey has potential. Was a good CB in college, but made weird mistakes at times that led to big plays.

Yeah, I didn't like the pick initially and thought we should of taken a TE there, but I like Ivey now a lot honestly.

With Murphy finally showing up as a rookie, we had a good Draft last year. Murphy could grow into a great Edge rusher/
Run Defender with his athleticism and strength. We saw his potential for the first time really yesterday. I always knew it 
was going to take time with him.
Reply/Quote