Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Myles Murphy is a Bum
(11-28-2023, 03:46 PM)Joelist Wrote: Letting Friermuth have a career game was silliness. And it was our usual coverage issue where TEs and Receivers gravitate to the "borders" between our zones probably in part because they know that all season our DBs have failed to read the developing play and flow to the receivers - they sit in their zones way too long. Goodberry showed this as it happened versus the Texans and it has been a problem all season:

https://youtu.be/PvlI6gj7u7U?si=YsejPvDd5UwCYU18

You can bet Lou doesnt want the young guys leaving their areas too quickly.  Cam was late on one play and it probably happens often.  The Texans big passes were usually on extended plays, too much time is deadly on CBs.  Goodberry was totally off on the Cam slander on the one where the WR stopped. 

That video exposed some individual mistakes as to not facing the QB and the ball being thrown behind them, especially Wilson.

Also, he highlighted us playing Hilton at deep middle so often, this is because Mike is a liability in man-to-man.

The one major theme though is that Nick Scott is simply not very good, vs pass or rush.

Reply/Quote
the steelers scored 16 points. defense wasnt the issue

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 05:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the steelers scored 16 points. defense wasnt the issue

We as a board need to agree on a number of points in which if the D holds a team under that amount we all agree not to blame the defense

Imo 17 points is a good number.

I think the league average is around 17-24 so if you hold a team under 17 you’ve held them under league average and imo that’s all you can possibly ask for.

I agree with you here. You can’t ask your D to hold every team under 14 be your offense sucks, then turn around and blame the D for shit.

I’ll accept criticisms of the D only in games where we scored over league average
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've chose to keep Hendrickson over Hubbard. Which is who Murphy is now set to replace given Hendrickson's extension. 

Hubbard and Hendrickson are both signed through 2025.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 02:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've chose to keep Hendrickson over Hubbard. Which is who Murphy is now set to replace given Hendrickson's extension. 

What?   LOL

[Image: facepalm.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 03:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would be highly shocked if Hubbard goes anywhere.

You think they going to pay both. Seems like Murphy was one of those picks to replace someone. I thought it’d be Hendrickson too before the extension. Thought for sure they’d keep the Home grown and fan favorite talent.

I’m not really sure now. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 07:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hubbard and Hendrickson are both signed through 2025.

I thought we had Hendricks for 3 more years and Hubbard 2. I thought they were signed the same length of time before the extension. I may be wrong. 

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 08:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What?   LOL

[Image: facepalm.gif]

Let’s not act like we haven’t read this script before. JJ v Hall. Johnson v Dunlap. Chase v Tee, Bell v Bates (even though they ended up losing both, they wanted to keep Bell). Anytime we have some sort of dynamic duo of sorts, they choose one to plan to replace. Extending Hendrickson with 2 years left on his deal said a ton. I wouldn’t disregard the significance of that move as you clearly have. 

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 11:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: You think they going to pay both. Seems like Murphy was one of those picks to replace someone. I thought it’d be Hendrickson too before the extension. Thought for sure they’d keep the Home grown and fan favorite talent.

I’m not really sure now. 

They are both signed for 2 more seasons after this one.  Murphy will be on a rookie contract for 4 seasons after this one. 

Reply/Quote
Ok. I thought Hendrickson was initially a 4 year contract. And he was 2 years in at the time of the extension this offseason. I didn’t realize he was going in a contract year this season…

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 11:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok. I thought Hendrickson was initially a 4 year contract. And he was 2 years in at the time of the extension this offseason. I didn’t realize he was going in a contract year this season…

You not realizing things is perfectly normal here.  And you are still wrong.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 05:43 PM)Housh Wrote: We as a board need to agree on a number of points in which if the D holds a team under that amount we all agree not to blame the defense

Imo 17 points is a good number.

I think the league average is around 17-24 so if you hold a team under 17 you’ve held them under league average and imo that’s all you can possibly ask for.

I agree with you here. You can’t ask your D to hold every team under 14 be your offense sucks, then turn around and blame the D for shit.

I’ll accept criticisms of the D only in games where we scored over league average

I agree that I don't think the defense was the issue. Although allowing the Steelers 400yds for the 1st time in 59 games is not what you want. I also think when your offense struggles as ours is most likely to do the rest of the way it can make your defense appear better as teams can be more conservative. At this point it's how the young guys play which I thought they played well in this game.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 11:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You not realizing things is perfectly normal here.  And you are still wrong.

I’ve never had a problem admitting if I’m wrong as seen above. That doesn’t mean anything to me.. but you sound excited for the rarity. Treating the moment like the solar eclipse, 30 year comet, earth blocking the moon or some other once a lifetime phenomenon. I’m flattered by your excitement to try to rub it in.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2023, 11:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I’ve never had a problem admitting if I’m wrong as seen above. That doesn’t mean anything to me.. but you sound excited for the rarity. Treating the moment like the solar eclipse, 30 year comet, earth blocking the moon or some other once a lifetime phenomenon. I’m flattered by your excitement to try to rub it in.

Lol, you are wrong every 3 comments.  Trey was extended one season which makes him a free agent in 2026 along with Sam.

Murphy will be on a rookie contract thru 2027 if his 5th year is exercised..

Cutting Sam or Trey in the last year of their contract would be 2-3M in dead money for either.  

We likely have all 3 through 2026 assuming no injuries or major drop off in performance.

Reply/Quote
I would not expect either Trey or Sam to be let go. This defense already lacks sufficient pass rush so if Murphy is improving in that it helps the shortcoming. I do expect to see some looks where Murphy is inside among other things.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 12:21 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, you are wrong every 3 comments.  Trey was extended one season which makes him a free agent in 2026 along with Sam.

Murphy will be on a rookie contract thru 2027 if his 5th year is exercised..

Cutting Sam or Trey in the last year of their contract would be 2-3M in dead money for either.  

We likely have all 3 through 2026 assuming no injuries or major drop off in performance.

Oh I stand by Murphy being a replacement pick…..  I believed that when he was drafted and I believe it still. I also think he’s more Hubbard like than Hendrickson. Even in college he seemed more like a strong run defender not necessarily a 10+ sack guy like Hendrickson. I also think the Hendrickson extension was telling. Specifically given they just drafted a first round end and if anyone should be extended and cheaper to keep it was Hubbard.

As always with my posts my point remains…

Reply/Quote
I think they are fattening Murphy up to play more DT than DE.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2023, 03:35 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I think they are fattening Murphy up to play more DT than DE.

Please no. We already have one “tweener” in Zach Carter.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals play in the AFCN. No way they are going to let the best run stopping DE in the league go to another team. Especially someone like Hubbard, who they love.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised how many think they are planning to keep both Hendrickson and Hubbard long term...

Reply/Quote