Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NFL Fixed???
(02-07-2017, 05:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not really... It's not like New England has any problem winning their Division, so they are almost always in the playoffs. Starting Brady off with a 4 game suspension, then calling the rest of the season the "Revenge Tour" sets up the final battle between Terrific Tom and the evil Roger Goodell. Whether you love him or hate him, how many people tuned in to see it happen? It was the perfect WWE storyline..... complete with the Superstar getting smacked all around the ring to the point he almost cannot stand, only to be brought back by the roar of the crowd to come off the top rope in the final minutes of the 4th quarter to achieve victory and win back the belt...... it's all about ratings...

This lol
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Not consistently good, but the Jets went to the AFC Championship game twice.  Look at the Patriots record versus any division in football, and they would dominate no matter where they were.

That may be true, but it does not negate the fact they are basically in a weak division...(most of the time)
Reply/Quote
Another thought..suppose the league is feeling heat from people who want it investigated for fixing games..Let's just go with that assumption. 
In such a scenario you have to have at least one patsy to make it plausible that it's not fixed and the patsy has to be in on the fix. I can certainly see a scenario where someone like Brady would just walk away from the game, but he didn't. That argument could go either way. 
There's also the 'theory' that says players are paid too much to be corruptable. Well that doesn't hold water either. Since when have people with a butload of money not wanted more money?  For plenty of the super rich there is no such thing as enough money. 
These games are just too easy to fix and nobody has to sneak into the locker room with big bags of dirty cash. Billions of dollars can go around the globe in the blink of an eye so it becomes untracable. That kind of stuff goes on every day and if you're on the receiving end of one of these transactions you certainty wouldn't want the rest of the world to know about it . Big organizations have all kinds of ways to move money around so the bean counters have no way to keep track. The bottom line is that if you are going to cover up kind of things like game fixing you absolutely have to have a way to sew doubt that it's happening in the first place. And on top of it all there are no laws that prohibit the leagues from predetermining the outcomes. Even if the league is caught red handed they can always say that it's a scripted bit of the entertainment industry which in fact it is and that is completely legal. If you don't think football is entertainment then please explain exactly why you bother to watch in the first place. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 05:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not really... It's not like New England has any problem winning their Division, so they are almost always in the playoffs. Starting Brady off with a 4 game suspension, then calling the rest of the season the "Revenge Tour" sets up the final battle between Terrific Tom and the evil Roger Goodell. Whether you love him or hate him, how many people tuned in to see it happen? It was the perfect WWE storyline..... complete with the Superstar getting smacked all around the ring to the point he almost cannot stand, only to be brought back by the roar of the crowd to come off the top rope in the final minutes of the 4th quarter to achieve victory and win back the belt...... it's all about ratings...

Lol. I made the WWE and McMahon comparison on PFT today. I'm not saying it's fully rigged, but what a storyline. Complete with epic comeback. Those "Roger That" shirts will sell like hot cakes.

(02-07-2017, 06:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think they cared who represented the NFC....

The Falcons were struggling to sell new PSL's. Now they're not. Just saying.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For those of you who believe it's fixed, why be a fan? You already know the outcome.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 03:22 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: For those of you who believe it's fixed, why be a fan? You already know the outcome.

Same reason people watch movies when they already know that the hero gets the girl and bad guy bullets always miss and people can run at a full sprint all the way across town and back wearing dress shoes and never run out of breath.. 
That's my theory anyway.. I could be wrong. 
That bullet to the brain? Just a flesh wound. Dab a little stuff in a bottle on it and he'll be ok.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:28 PM)McC Wrote: I'm sure it's not flat out fixed.  But maybe you do smaller things that could impact games--allowing officials to work games for teams for which they might have a rooting interest, slanting judgement calls, things like that, allowing certain teams to get away with things other teams can't.

The weird part is how ol' Roger went all vendetta against the Patriots, their marquee franchise and Tom Brady, their marquee player, in particular.
It was all for show. Ol' "Rog" had to protect the league's "integrity"  Yawn  by appearing to publically smash the golden boy. Actually we all know the 4g suspension would have/had NO affect on the outcome. All is well in NFLand, again. Nothing to see here, move along.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 03:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: Same reason people watch movies when they already know that the hero gets the girl and bad guy bullets always miss and people can run at a full sprint all the way across town and back wearing dress shoes and never run out of breath.. 
That's my theory anyway.. I could be wrong. 
That bullet to the brain? Just a flesh wound. Dab a little stuff in a bottle on it and he'll be ok.. 

Could be feasible. I think in this scenario it wouldn't be like rooting for the hero, though. It would be like rooting for the best friend in a romantic comedy. He's there for comic relief, but he'll never get the girl. 
Reply/Quote
I keep an open mind about it. Do I believe it's possible that a multi-billion dollar industry that involves lots of gambling might be fixed in some ways? Yes, it's very possible and I think it'd be naive to believe otherwise. There's evidence of some form of corruption in pretty much every major sport.

That said, I could make lots of arguments against the NFL being completely rigged. For instance, I'm sure it didn't help the NFL that the Rams were terrible in their first season back in LA. Why have the Bears been terrible for most of the last 25 years? Chicago is a HUGE market. The Cowboys had a long stretch of mediocrity. The Pats had a pretty long dry spell in the playoffs between 2004 and 2014.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I really don't think the players or even the coaches are in on it. I think it is all handled by the front office and the pool of "part-time" referees, who are paid to throw flags. We all know just a couple of flags at certain moments can easily change the outcome of a game. Who knows how much the league is really paying these guys, and if they are on the gravy train they certainly aren't going to talk. It doesn't even have to be all the refs. After all, the league assigns certain refs to certain games, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 03:22 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: For those of you who believe it's fixed, why be a fan? You already know the outcome.

That's the point!  We already know who's favored by the league. 

Why am I still a Bengals fan?  Because of those effing helmets!  Those are still the best helmet design in the league. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 10:41 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: That's the point!  We already know who's favored by the league. 

Why am I still a Bengals fan?  Because of those effing helmets!  Those are still the best helmet design in the league. 

Old school Rams and the Raiders helmets are pretty badass. 

To OP, often times I certainly question the integrity of the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 06:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I keep an open mind about it. Do I believe it's possible that a multi-billion dollar industry that involves lots of gambling might be fixed in some ways? Yes, it's very possible and I think it'd be naive to believe otherwise. There's evidence of some form of corruption in pretty much every major sport.

That said, I could make lots of arguments against the NFL being completely rigged. For instance, I'm sure it didn't help the NFL that the Rams were terrible in their first season back in LA. Why have the Bears been terrible for most of the last 25 years? Chicago is a HUGE market. The Cowboys had a long stretch of mediocrity. The Pats had a pretty long dry spell in the playoffs between 2004 and 2014.

Because it's got to do wth the stars of the league (buisness)

Why has Chicago bulls been bad?  Why have the Yankees fell off? Why has new york Knicks never won a title? Why has Cleveland cavs all the sudden a contender every year. 

Yes you can make a argument they are stars with talent. But come on lebron gets a foul call for everything. You can't hardly touch Brady most the time. Just look at our playoff game with the Steelers, it's been talked about forever how the calls were one sided,but since Jeremy fumbled people focus on that more.  That game alone was comical. Big Ben coming in for the last drive like superman. How come we have never seen anything like that here. Why couldn't andy come in like Superman ever.  It's just too fishy for me over all the years and what I witnessed. 

Hres another one, how someone's star player all the sudden goes to a rival . Like deion Sanders did when he jumped from San Fran to Dallas. Winning two rings. Too fishy. Same with gruden switching teams. Everything is always so convenient . Rey Lewis ,Bettis and cower, manning going out on top.  Peyton Manning's ******** brother beating the pats when peyton couldn't do it. Seattle's ******** throw and int at the goaline.  New Orleans wins one after their economy took a huge loss. Green bay moving on from legend farve . I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Hres one, not being able to use no huddle in our superbowl, but the next year it was allowed and 49ers win with it.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't think the players or even the coaches are in on it. I think it is all handled by the front office and the pool of "part-time" referees, who are paid to throw flags. We all know just a couple of flags at certain moments can easily change the outcome of a game. Who knows how much the league is really paying these guys, and if they are on the gravy train they certainly aren't going to talk. It doesn't even have to be all the refs. After all, the league assigns certain refs to certain games, right?

I'm not really convinced that the league is fixed, but if it is I think this is the extent to which it is fixed. 

I don't think it's something that the coaches or players know about. Think about the amount of people trying to keep that secret safe? Think about the wives and girlfriends of coaches and players that would inevitably know about it too. There are way too many people that would know about this for it to actually be taking place in that way. 

I do agree that some teams get preferential treatment, but I have seen flags go our way and flags go against us. We will never know. And I think that the reason why the NFL isn't rigged is because of plays like Julian Edelman's catch in the SB. There are way too many variables to rig the games. People say all the time not to let the game be left in the hands of the referees. Think about the crappy job the replacement refs did. That wasn't a good look for the league. I can see arguments for why people think the league is rigged but I just don't think it's possible. Skill can surely overcome the refs flags at times. 

All we can do is speculate. 
Reply/Quote
In a short and simple yes or no, I would say yes it is fixed.

But here is a major conspiracy that will happen soon:

The NFL will be a shadow of a game in 20 years to the current product thats on the field.

Lets be honest 6'6" guys running a 4.0 straight at each other isn't going to continue in a lawsuit happy society.

Enjoy the WWE/NFL as we know it, the game will be almost non existent in 20 years.
-No Kickoffs
-No tackling below the knees
-No tackling the QB
-Field Goals will be 5 points
-It will be 7 on 7 Flag Football

chew on that...........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 06:13 PM)corpjet Wrote: In a short and simple yes or no, I would say yes it is fixed.

But here is a major conspiracy that will happen soon:

The NFL will be a shadow of a game in 20 years to the current product thats on the field.

Lets be honest 6'6" guys running a 4.0 straight at each other isn't going to continue in a lawsuit happy society.

Enjoy the WWE/NFL as we know it, the game will be almost non existent in 20 years.
-No Kickoffs
-No tackling below the knees
-No tackling the QB
-Field Goals will be 5 points
-It will be 7 on 7 Flag Football

chew on that...........

Yep. When this game was invented, I don't think it was ever intended for the engineered freak athletes that we see today. It's like a bunch of Ivan Drago's with helmets. No safety measures are going to keep guys from getting hurt when they're smacking helmets at 20 mph.
Reply/Quote
I find it weird that Tom Brady filmed a commercial back in September with his fifth ring
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 11:12 AM)Trademark Wrote: I find it weird that Tom Brady filmed a commercial back in September with his fifth ring

Yeah me too. You'd think he'd be afraid of jinxing himself...or at the very least coming off as cocky.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 11:12 AM)Trademark Wrote: I find it weird that Tom Brady filmed a commercial back in September with his fifth ring

Really??  That just adds to my list.  Last year Manning had a commercial, epic comeback starts right now.  He got replaced and everyone thought he was done. They made jokes when I said he's going to come back and win it.  Then they showed him training on some channel like he was getting ready for something big. Tey replaced osweiler at halftime quietly nobody made a fuss about it. Then he proceeds with his epic comeback. So now they are just putting it in commercials. 
Reply/Quote
The beauty of the NFL being branded as "Sports Entertainment" the only other place you find that label, the WWE. Not baseball, not basketball, not hockey. It makes business sense to fix games, for the purpose of gambling, and keeping the money flowing in as wanted.

I don't believe it is a top to bottom thing, but as others have said, all it takes is the refs being told who needs to have the edge and flags being thrown to help that.

Think back to the start of this season. The Jaguars almost knocked off the Packers.....that would be terrible for business, so the league swallows the pill and has to apologize after the fact for 17 missed calls. Look at the rematch between Cincy and steelers. The holding that was ignored to make sure the "good clean hard nosed team" beat up the leagues' "bad guys".

Just need to get Jerry Lawler and Jim Ross to call a game, good old "slobber-knocker"

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote