Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(05-02-2024, 06:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure hope you are right about the Karras and Cappa extensions and also hope Volson can take the next step.

Thought last season he would do this, but then he started out poorly once again at the start of the season.

Always being in Shotgun did nobody any favors though.

The whole line started out poorly between the radical run/pass imbalance, the radical shotgun/under center imbalance and Burrow being an immobile statue. Once Burrow had more mobility and we went under center more Volson got into a good groove. He also blocked well for Browning (excepting like everyone else the multiple instances where Browning held the ball way too long). 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Olineman can play into their 30’s granted…. But Bengals extending them on their 3rd contract seems like a complete failure to take advantage of having these smart vets and preparing to have their replacements ready.

While Karras is a good character guy, he’s overrated and I think struggled more than people like to remember.

I doubt both get extended. I wouldn’t be surprised if neither did. If I had my choice it would be Cappa. After 3 years and their original signing seemingly being veteran bridges, and the line being still a “work in progress”, an extension to either of them would signal as bad as it’s been at tackle, it’s been equally bad on the interior when it comes to development.

We can’t keep buying a line.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Karras was excellent down the stretch last season.

I could definitely see the Bengals making an exception and extending him another year or two despite him being on the wrong side of 30. It would give Matt Lee plenty of time to develop behind a solid vet.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 09:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Karras was excellent down the stretch last season.

I could definitely see the Bengals making an exception and extending him another year or two despite him being on the wrong side of 30. It would give Matt Lee plenty of time to develop behind a solid vet.

When I was watching some Joe Mixon highlights from 2023 it seemed like Karras was moving bodies better than anyone else on the line.

If Matt Lee comes out playing and looking like a 7th rounder. Might be time to start extension talks with Karras.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 09:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Karras was excellent down the stretch last season.

Yes, I think Karras gets an extension. Moving people and blocking people is only part of a Center's job. He has to make the calls at the line. Karras is extremely good at that. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

thats a downgrade for them
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, I think Karras gets an extension. Moving people and blocking people is only part of a Center's job. He has to make the calls at the line. Karras is extremely good at that. 

is he the one calling out protections? cause those could be much better
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thats a downgrade for them

They need all the help they can get in that WR room. Claypool isn’t particularly good, but they just need bodies at this point.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 08:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: The whole line started out poorly between the radical run/pass imbalance, the radical shotgun/under center imbalance and Burrow being an immobile statue. Once Burrow had more mobility and we went under center more Volson got into a good groove. He also blocked well for Browning (excepting like everyone else the multiple instances where Browning held the ball way too long). 

True, the OL as a whole was bad because of all these things early. It should be a different story if Burrow is healthy for once to 
begin the season and he can play under Center and we can be unpredictable with a running game. OL like to play aggressive and
run block, at least that is usually the case. What is nice is the addition of Zack Moss should really help as he was the best RB last
year running out of the Shotgun while Mixon was one of the worst at this.

Granted, the Colts OL is much better of an OL, but even they would struggle more than normal if they had to be in the Shotgun
all the time and having to play on their heels.

(05-02-2024, 08:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Olineman can play into their 30’s granted…. But Bengals extending them on their 3rd contract seems like a complete failure to take advantage of having these smart vets and preparing to have their replacements ready.

While Karras is a good character guy, he’s overrated and I think struggled more than people like to remember.

I doubt both get extended. I wouldn’t be surprised if neither did. If I had my choice it would be Cappa. After 3 years and their original signing seemingly being veteran bridges, and the  line being still a “work in progress”, an extension to either of them would signal as bad as it’s been at tackle, it’s been equally bad on the interior when it comes to development.

We can’t keep buying a line.

Why not? We got the dough, when you have good players, reward them. Both Cappa and Karras have played well even if you think
Ted is overrated, he is the best Center we have had since a healthy Kyle Cook. Good Centers don't grow on trees and it will take some
time for Matt Lee to bulk up and get strong in the run game. Excellent pass protector though, which is why he could be a major steal
down the road.

(05-02-2024, 09:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Karras was excellent down the stretch last season.

Yes sir Nicomo. Spot on, Matt Lee will need some time and Ted is still playing well. Extend both Karras and Cappa and upgrade LG whether 
that is with Volson or somebody else. But Volson very well could be the answer if he starts out this season like he left off late last season.

We will see, I would still bring in another Guard/Center in Connor Williams, Dalton Risner or Andrus Peat to compete.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They need all the help they can get in that WR room. Claypool isn’t particularly good, but they just need bodies at this point.

This was the guy that gives up on plays and doesnt Block for run downs if i remember correctly which wont help Josh allen much
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: This was the guy that gives up on plays and doesnt Block for run downs if i remember correctly which wont help Josh allen much

That’s Pickens.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, thought they were trying to get rid of the diva stuff. Claypool is just another one without the great play that Diggs brings...

They don’t have a choice. It’s rookie Keon Coleman, Curtis Samuel, and a bunch of nothing after that at WR.

I’m surprised they aren’t in on Boyd tbh.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s Pickens.

I stand corrected hard to keep track of all these guys when they dont play for us lol
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They don’t have a choice. It’s rookie Keon Coleman, Curtis Samuel, and a bunch of nothing after that at WR.

Didn't they just have to let a bunch of quality starters walk in free agency, due to being up against the cap? Not sure what they signed Claypool for, but I'm guessing that it was less than what Boyd is seeking.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Anyone else hearing about Boyd possibly going to the Chiefs.
That one might make me feel some kinda way
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 03:50 PM)Whacked Wrote: Anyone else hearing about Boyd possibly going to the Chiefs.
That one might make me feel some kinda way

I still think he ends up in DET or TEN.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They don’t have a choice. It’s rookie Keon Coleman, Curtis Samuel, and a bunch of nothing after that at WR.

Yeah, the Bills are hurting at WR now alright. Curtis Samuel is a good one, but Keon has high bust potential with his poor route running.

All talent is what Keon relied on for the most part. He will have to refine his game at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 08:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: While Karras is a good character guy, he’s overrated and I think struggled more than people like to remember.

Do you never tire of being wrong?

Reply/Quote