Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(05-03-2024, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They don’t have a choice. It’s rookie Keon Coleman, Curtis Samuel, and a bunch of nothing after that at WR.

I’m surprised they aren’t in on Boyd tbh.

Bills still have cap issues.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 05:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: Do you never tire of being wrong?

So he sucked most of the year..... I stand corrected.

or do I? What is it I said about him again. Oh, he's overrated and struggled more than people remembered.... As in 10 games worth of struggle.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 06:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: So he sucked most of the year..... I stand corrected.

or do I? What is it I said about him again. Oh, he's overrated and struggled more than people remembered.... As in 10 games worth of struggle.

The entire OL struggled when we were in Shotgun all the time and I think even the best OL's in the NFL would struggle in this circumstance.

Orlando Brown, Alex Cappa and Jonah all struggled most of the year as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 06:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The entire OL struggled when we were in Shotgun all the time and I think even the best OL's in the NFL would struggle in this circumstance.

Orlando Brown, Alex Cappa and Jonah all struggled most of the year as well.

Yep. Karras was actually the highest graded OL on the team.

And like you said, our offense, and a gimpy Burrow did these guys no favors early on.

Reply/Quote
Either way I would have liked to see a higher sense of urgency to draft a guard to at least have an option next offseason so you don’t have to re-sign Karras and Cappa.

Even if they planned to re-sign both or either, we’ve seen how that can turn out in an offseason.

And then what? Sounds like another offseason wit questions at Oline coming up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 10:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Either way I would have liked to see a higher sense of urgency to draft a guard to at least have an option next offseason so you don’t have to re-sign Karras and Cappa.

Even if they planned to re-sign both or either, we’ve seen how that can turn out in an offseason.

Cappa signed a four year contract in 2022 according to spotrac and won’t be a free agent until 2026
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 10:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Either way I would have liked to see a higher sense of urgency to draft a guard to at least have an option next offseason so you don’t have to re-sign Karras and Cappa.

I was disappointed with no G in the draft as well. Still hoping for a FA. 

But you should prepare yourself....I think it is likely Karras is re-signed. They love him.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Karras was actually the highest graded OL on the team.

And like you said, our offense, and a gimpy Burrow did these guys no favors early on.

Thought so. ThumbsUp 

I expect this OL especially with Trent Brown at RT and Cordell Volson growing to be much better this year if Burrow is healthy.

As NATI here says, we don't have to re-sign Cappa for a while, so not a problem there. Nothing against you JJ22, but Karras is still a 
good Center and being a Bengals fan, I don't understand not liking extending him after all our troubles with Centers over the years.

Good Centers do not grow on trees.

(05-03-2024, 11:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Cappa signed a four year contract in 2022 according to spotrac and won’t be a free agent until 2026

Thanks NATI.  Cool

(05-04-2024, 12:28 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I was disappointed with no G in the draft as well. Still hoping for a FA. 

But you should prepare yourself....I think it is likely Karras is re-signed. They love him.

Same, hope we get a healthy Guard/Center in FA when it is time. Connor Williams, Dalton Risner, Andrus Peat. One of these guys should
be healthy by the regular season if it is health that is keeping them on the street. Just must not be the time to sign players unless we can
give them a workout. I would love a Guard/Center and a Corner to really round out the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2024, 12:28 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I was disappointed with no G in the draft as well. Still hoping for a FA. 

Not so sure about that. 

He will be heading into his age 32 season, and the Taylor era Bengals haven't been signing guys who are already in their 30s or giving guys third contracts. Karras is the oldest player on the team right now. He was also the oldest player on the team last year until McCarron got called up from the PS in December.

The Taylor Bengals seem to REALLY value youth. Pretty sure only 4 guys over the last 3 years have made the Week 1 roster while in their >30 age season. Clark Harris and Michael Thomas in 2022, nobody in 2023, and Ted Karras and Trenton Brown (both with 1 year on their deals for their age 31 seasons) presumably in 2024.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I fully expect Karras to be extended - note this offseason they already broke their usual rule about signing players 30+ (Brown, Rankins). Karras is a good Center and Lee will need time to be groomed for the role.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2024, 03:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: I fully expect Karras to be extended - note this offseason they already broke their usual rule about signing players 30+ (Brown, Rankins). Karras is a good Center and Lee will need time to be groomed for the role.

I hope you are right as TLL makes a great point about the age barrier in the Taylor era so far, but like you say Joelist, they signed Trent Brown.

Karras is a leader and hasn't shown any fall off and Matt Lee will need time. Now if we sign Connor Williams and he plays well, Ted may be out.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2024, 04:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I hope you are right as TLL makes a great point about the age barrier in the Taylor era so far, but like you say Joelist, they signed Trent Brown.

Karras is a leader and hasn't shown any fall off and Matt Lee will need time. Now if we sign Connor Williams and he plays well, Ted may be out.

Williams tore his knee in December of last year. If he gets back this year, it is gonna be on the late side. 

But if we are not gonna sign a corner, and Chase's extention is gonna be next year, I am down with a Conor Williams gamble for next year. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2024, 06:27 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Williams tore his knee in December of last year. If he gets back this year, it is gonna be on the late side. 

But if we are not gonna sign a corner, and Chase's extention is gonna be next year, I am down with a Conor Williams gamble for next year. 

Ah, knew he was coming off injury but that is much more recent than I thought. Even more reason to extend Ted when the time comes.

We gambled with the Center position far too long IMO.

Keep Ted for a little bit longer is my vote and develop Matt Lee into a stronger run blocker. Lee is a great pass protector already.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 01:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, knew he was coming off injury but that is much more recent than I thought. Even more reason to extend Ted when the time comes.

We gambled with the Center position far too long IMO.

Keep Ted for a little bit longer is my vote and develop Matt Lee into a stronger run blocker. Lee is a great pass protector already.

Unless the tear was not that bad (possible), I think a Williams signing would mostly be for 2025 & beyond. And a couple other things: 

1) An admission we won't use all our cap this year, so why not? And..

2) A hedge on Volson. Both Karras and Williams have C & G experience. Even if Volson stagnates, you'd have Karras, Williams, Cappa on the interior with Volson & Lee as a backups.

It basically takes IOL off the menu as a need for the 2025 draft, regardless of Volson's progress. Though we could always look for a Cappa replacement a year early. 
Reply/Quote
On Williams, here is an article from the spring:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2024/3/18/24104689/connor-williams-knee-injury-confirmed-to-be-pretty-significant

His agent said he is focused on rehab and won't be signing anywhere anytime soon.

I think reading the tea leaves that means he needs time to try to get to the point where he can pass a physical/play again safely.

If he recovers well, maybe we coukd look at a fall or winter signing. But that is just a guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2024, 03:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Unless the tear was not that bad (possible), I think a Williams signing would mostly be for 2025 & beyond. And a couple other things: 

1) An admission we won't use all our cap this year, so why not? And..

2) A hedge on Volson. Both Karras and Williams have C & G experience. Even if Volson stagnates, you'd have Karras, Williams, Cappa on the interior with Volson & Lee as a backups.

It basically takes IOL off the menu as a need for the 2025 draft, regardless of Volson's progress. Though we could always look for a Cappa replacement a year early. 

(05-06-2024, 04:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: On Williams, here is an article from the spring:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2024/3/18/24104689/connor-williams-knee-injury-confirmed-to-be-pretty-significant

His agent said he is focused on rehab and won't be signing anywhere anytime soon.

I think reading the tea leaves that means he needs time to try to get to the point where he can pass a physical/play again safely.

If he recovers well, maybe we coukd look at a fall or winter signing. But that is just a guess.

Thanks for the info Ike. Well, down the road I am definitely for bringing in Connor Williams, in the meantime, we ought to bring in somebody
that will be ready to play this year in Dalton Risner or Andrus Peat, at least as backup Guards anyways. These guy's aren't Centers though.
Reply/Quote
Andrus Peat signed with the raiders. I could see extending Ted for another two years while Lee develops, assuming Lee shows any potential in camp.

Given the significant bump in guard pay this free agency I’m surprised they didn’t add one. It was my only real gripe of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I think they'll re-sign Ted in the offseason. I'm guessing they'll let him test the market and see what he can get. I don't think he'll get a back breaking deal, so I'm sure the team will be able to bring him back. With the way Ted has embraced the team and city, and everyone embracing him back, I could see him taking over Lap's role as Mr. Bengal when Lap finally calls it a career.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2024, 12:29 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Andrus Peat signed with the raiders.  I could see extending Ted for another two years while Lee develops, assuming Lee shows any potential in camp.  

Given the significant bump in guard pay this free agency I’m surprised they didn’t add one.  It was my only real gripe of the draft.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks BenZoo, didn't know Peat signed with the Raiders. Dalton Risner should still be an option if he isn't hurt too bad or we 
will just wait till cuts and add a Guard/Center and a Corner. Really think we would have the best roster in the Taylor/Burrow era
if we do this. Just a few moves to top off the roster is all we need.

(05-07-2024, 01:07 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think they'll re-sign Ted in the offseason. I'm guessing they'll let him test the market and see what he can get. I don't think he'll get a back breaking deal, so I'm sure the team will be able to bring him back. With the way Ted has embraced the team and city, and everyone embracing him back, I could see him taking over Lap's role as Mr. Bengal when Lap finally calls it a career.

That sure would be cool. Smirk
Reply/Quote
Boyd to Titans.

1 year, $4.5 mil.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/source-wr-tyler-boyd-agrees-year-contract-titans/story?id=109999223
Reply/Quote