Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-12-2024, 12:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m very confused by the start of this off-season. We have tons of money to spend. I’m not naive, I know it’s not over yet, but what was their plan? They don’t want to spend on Tee, they didn’t get the top TE, they didn’t get the top couple DT’s, no edge rusher, CB. They signed a rotational S. Who are they targeting? Are they expecting a Chase extension that’s going to be closer to 40M APY? I’m just honestly confused. It feels like we don’t have a strategy and that’s the confusing part. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve done pretty well the last couple free agency’s.

I agree completely man and that’s why I’m so negative right now. Doesn’t seem to be any cohesion or sense of urgency. On a day we had top 5 cap space, we got a good bit worse on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m very confused by the start of this off-season. We have tons of money to spend. I’m not naive, I know it’s not over yet, but what was their plan? They don’t want to spend on Tee, they didn’t get the top TE, they didn’t get the top couple DT’s, no edge rusher, CB. They signed a rotational S. Who are they targeting? Are they expecting a Chase extension that’s going to be closer to 40M APY? I’m just honestly confused. It feels like we don’t have a strategy and that’s the confusing part. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve done pretty well the last couple free agency’s.

All the top tight ends were pretty much off the board.. Schultz and Henry signed with old team before FA today.. and Fant also signed with old team.. Everett is only one i would look at .....RT was very thin, I can see them going draft for RT. Stone was a very good signing.. he will start at safety and Hill will be moving to CB i believe. i don;t love Moss but we saved money with Mixon.. and probably needed a new face. I did not want to go big contract with DT but there are a few solid DTs out there, hope they get one of them tomorrow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really? We got BETTER today not worse.

Geno Stone directly addresses THE major defensive issue that caused all the explosive plays. He is a football smart excellent coverage safety who will be taking on that important role of communication and getting everyone aligned.

Zack Moss is a FAR better pass protector than Mixon, runs hard, breaks tackles (which Mixon did not), makes defenders miss (which Mixon did not) and fits the scheme well.

Yes Chido left and yes Reader is still out there but so far it looks pretty decent.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:05 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m very confused by the start of this off-season. We have tons of money to spend. I’m not naive, I know it’s not over yet, but what was their plan? They don’t want to spend on Tee, they didn’t get the top TE, they didn’t get the top couple DT’s, no edge rusher, CB. They signed a rotational S. Who are they targeting? Are they expecting a Chase extension that’s going to be closer to 40M APY? I’m just honestly confused. It feels like we don’t have a strategy and that’s the confusing part. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt because they’ve done pretty well the last couple free agency’s.

Stone is not a rotational guy. He is a starter. He led the league in picks last year and is near elite in terms of pass coverage grades. Both he and Battle were top 15 in the league. Now, he is not a great run stopper, but he is usually a deep FA, so not as muchbof a factor. Overall, he has been grading out (PFF) in the low 70s. 

I thought we overpaid for D. Sample & ADG. But OK. We are paying Sample like he is a starter. Hope that is not true. This isn't backbreaking numbers or anything.

The Moss thing confuses me a bit. I mean we save about $2 mil. And he is a better pass blocker. But otherwise, Mixon has the edge. Didn't think we'd cut Joe unless it is a coear upgrade. 

We have around $32 mil left according to my guestimate. $34 if we cut Scott. 

Sone guys still on the board: 

DT: Reader, Armstead, Rankins 
OT: Smith, Brown 
CB: Fuller 

Getting that extra 3rd rounder helps. I'd say our needs amount to:

1) Run stopping NT/DT (Reader)
2) Pass Rushing DT (Armstead)
3) Starting OT (Smith, Brown) 
4) Starting level boundary corner (Fuller) 
---------------
5) WR3 (draft, Boyd)
6) Starting level TE (healthy Hurst, draft)

If we can plug at least 2 more of those in FA, we have 4 top 100 picks for the others. If it is Reader +1 of the other big fish, I'd be ecstatic.
Reply/Quote
Onwenu 3 yrs and 57 million to stay in NE 38 Mill guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:57 AM)pulses Wrote: Onwenu 3 yrs and 57 million to stay in NE 38 Mill guaranteed.

Not worth it at all
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: Really? We got BETTER today not worse.

Geno Stone directly addresses THE major defensive issue that caused all the explosive plays. He is a football smart excellent coverage safety who will be taking on that important role of communication and getting everyone aligned.

Zack Moss is a FAR better pass protector than Mixon, runs hard, breaks tackles (which Mixon did not), makes defenders miss (which Mixon did not) and fits the scheme well.

Yes Chido left and yes Reader is still out there but so far it looks pretty decent.

Agree.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:58 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not worth it at all

Not THAT much. but we're running out of options they better get Trent Brown signed or we're kinda screwed unless they can trade Higgins for a RT someone like Moton.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:05 AM)pulses Wrote: Not THAT much. but we're running out of options they better get Trent Brown signed or we're kinda screwed unless they can trade Higgins for a RT someone like Moton.

We are just gonna take a tackle at #18. Or wait for a discount. 

The three strongest parts of the draft are OT, WR, and CB. 

Those have been the quietest spots in FA so far. 

Not a coincidence. 

Stewart signed for 3/$39 with the Colts. Reader will likely be at least that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We are just gonna take a tackle at #18. Or wait for a discount. 

Not a coincidence. 

Discount on what? There is only Brown and Becton left who can potentially start.....i dunno what discounts you're talking about??  And i'm pretty sure Jonah isn't coming back. And starting a rookie on a team in win now mode with Pollack is a recipe for disaster...
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We are just gonna take a tackle at #18. Or wait for a discount. 

Not a coincidence. 

Good point on the depth at all 3 spots.  I hate having to draft need but every time I run a mock 2 of the 3 BPAs are OT.  So unless there is a run it's probable, but still want to protect yourself with a Fant/Hubbard type at least, ideally one that can play guard too.

We're all waiting on Reader, and I'm not against trading a mid round pick (with and extra 3rd now) to fill a remaining need. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:12 AM)pulses Wrote: Discount on what? There is only Brown and Becton left who can potentially start.....i dunno what discounts you're talking about??  And i'm pretty sure Jonah isn't coming back. And starting a rookie on a team in win now mode with Pollack is a recipe for disaster...

Tyron Smith was all-Pro last year. Jonah can start. 

Yeah, it was always thin, but there are still starters out there. 

But like I have been trying to tell you, it is a HISTORICALLY good OT class. One WILL be there at #18. Just pick one.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:29 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tyron Smith was all-Pro last year. Jonah can start. 

Yeah, it was always thin, but there are still starters out there. 

But like I have been trying to tell you, it is a HISTORICALLY good OT class. One WILL be there at #18. Just pick one.
Picking one is fine....but i don't trust them to start with Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:05 AM)pulses Wrote: Not THAT much. but we're running out of options they better get Trent Brown signed or we're kinda screwed unless they can trade Higgins for a RT someone like Moton.

I think Becton is still in play.

Not that he should be relied upon from the word go, but can definitely see him come in.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think Becton is still in play.

Not that he should be relied upon from the word go, but can definitely see him come in.

Lordy, I hope you are wrong. The idea of Becton makes me wanna throw up in my mouth a little. 

If people want a bridge OT/8nsurance in case plug & ppay guys like Latham & Fuaga are gone & we pick Mims/Guyton, how about La'el Collins? 

He has guard versatility. Brown, Cappa, Karras, Rd1 RT, Collins, Volson, Ford is a decent top 7 OL guys. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:02 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Lordy, I hope you are wrong. The idea of Becton makes me wanna throw up in my mouth a little. 

If people want a bridge OT/8nsurance in case plug & ppay guys like Latham & Fuaga are gone & we pick Mims/Guyton, how about La'el Collins? 

He has guard versatility. Brown, Cappa, Karras, Rd1 RT, Collins, Volson, Ford is a decent top 7 OL guys. 

I read where Zac was talking about Collins recently it wouldn't surprise me.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: Really? We got BETTER today not worse.

Don't see how Zack Moss moves the needle one way or the other. Same percentage of runs over 10 yards. Slightly less ball security. Slightly less as a receiver out of the backfield. Same yards/carry. Doesn't know the system. So, basically better at pass protector, which I admit is very important for this team. But this was largely a lateral move, one taken by the Bengals to save the $3 million due Mixon as a roster bonus should he still be on the team on March 18. 

So, saves money, which may be important for other signings, but by itself not a move that makes one say the Bengals are now better.
Reply/Quote
Any predications for today?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any predications for today?

Plenty more signings around the league, along with a few surprises and head scratchers.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Any predications for today?

DT. Reader, Rankins or armstead.

I would really like to get armstead… he reminds me a little bit of Chris jones.

Kendall fuller, or some other CB.

Outside chance… if the bengals have got offers for tee Higgins, maybe they go try and secure a Calvin Ridley or marquise brown on an 2-3 year deal and then flip Higgins.
Reply/Quote