Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 05:47 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Man these are bad. I only see one guy on that list who'd I give an extension to at the moment (CTB). 

Don't worry...

Unless CTB really takes the next step, he'll be a mid-tier guy when he hits FA and likely will be retained.
And if he ascends to being near Pro Bowl-caliber, he'll probably outprice himself for the Bengals.

Ninja

Bengals always retain their own! (as long as they're not too good)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
huge payday for Ridley, a David Mulugeta client

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't worry...

Unless CTB really takes the next step, he'll be a mid-tier guy when he hits FA and likely will be retained.
And if he ascends to being near Pro Bowl-caliber, he'll probably outprice himself for the Bengals.

Ninja

Bengals always retain their own! (as long as they're not too good)

Is this a fair statement? Which team always retains their own regardless of price?

I have not seen that team yet. KC traded away arguably the best WR in football due to money. The key was they killed the draft, not at WR, but defensive backs, safety and RB,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:55 PM)CottonHill Wrote: Armstead is just a guy. A very tall guy but disappointing after he signed his extension a few years ago.
Reader becomes a must now which is absolutely deflating. Not only is he injured but that just gets us back to where we were last year….awful defensively and last in the division.

Last year they needed to add a pass rushing DT.  This year they still need that pass rushing DT plus they now need a NT that can stop the run.  Yes even if you brought Reader back, that still wouldnt be good enough.  It would be nice to add another capable NT because as good as Reader is, he cant play all game long or stop rushing attacks by himself.  This is where having Reader back and also drafting Sweat would be good.  You would still need someone that could generate a pass rush from the interior.  The Bengals need a minimum of 2 DT and more realistically 3.  Right now the interior defensive line is in bad shape.  If the Bengals go out there sign a couple of "value" type guys, this defense is going to be very bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:13 PM)pally Wrote: huge payday for Ridley, a David Mulugeta client

This explains why we had no intention of going after him (and trading Tee). This is crazy, the guy has done little in the NFL.

This makes Higgins and Chase more expensive. Great deal for Higgins at 21.6 million, cheaper than ridley who is not close to Tee in my opinion. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Get Sheldon Rankins on the phone.....
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This explains why we had no intention of going after him. This is crazy, the guy has done little in the NFL.

This makes Higgins and Chase more expensive. Great deal for Higgins at 21.6 million, cheaper than ridley who is not close to Tee in my opinion. 
Makes Higgins more valuable IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:47 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Man these are bad. I only see one guy on that list who'd I give an extension to at the moment (CTB). 

He did leave Chase out of 2021.
Reply/Quote
And the Mulugheta train of clients not resigning with their current team continues. It's his pattern.
Reply/Quote

South Park style Member Berries to ease the lack of Big Free Agent Bengal News

member when the Bengals signed Orlando Brown Jr last year

member when the Bengals signed Cappa, Karras & Collins in 2022

member when Bobby Bouche showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl, do ya ?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: And the Mulugheta train of clients not resigning with their current team continues. It's his pattern.

and getting huge paydays when they leave

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Last year they needed to add a pass rushing DT.  This year they still need that pass rushing DT plus they now need a NT that can stop the run.  Yes even if you brought Reader back, that still wouldnt be good enough.  It would be nice to add another capable NT because as good as Reader is, he cant play all game long or stop rushing attacks by himself.  This is where having Reader back and also drafting Sweat would be good.  You would still need someone that could generate a pass rush from the interior.  The Bengals need a minimum of 2 DT and more realistically 3.  Right now the interior defensive line is in bad shape.  If the Bengals go out there sign a couple of "value" type guys, this defense is going to be very bad.

Could not agree more. 

I think we are seeing real time evidence of why this franchise never wins anything. 

Ridley to TN. Tee's agent. 4 yr/$92. $50 mil guaranteed. $23 APY. 

Get with it Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is this a fair statement? Which team always retains their own regardless of price?

I have not seen that team yet. KC traded away arguably the best WR in football due to money. The key was they killed the draft, not at WR, but defensive backs, safety and RB,

The point I was trying to make (and I thought was obvious) was that once you're a competitive team and paying some big contracts to certain positions, you won't be able to keep everyone...especially really good players who are going to hit FA.
Teams like the Patriots and Steelers in the 2000s and 2010s frequently let some good talent go because of cost, but they had a plan to replace those players with cheaper options. And they found ways via budget signings and/or the draft to make that happen.

As you said, KC was able to have a great draft after trading Hill, which has contributed heavily to them continuing to have success after.
Bengals need to hit on their draft picks (especially early ones) to continue to have success after losing proven talents like Bates and likely losing Higgins after this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:19 PM)pally Wrote: and getting huge paydays when they leave

Not relevant. The point was players who have him as an agent virtually never resign with their current team. 
Reply/Quote
Ridley was very inconsistent last year on a good offense in Jax. Just doesn't get open as often as a number one receiver should.
That's an overpay there.

Callahan brought in a center for his 1st move and that made sense.
Since then he brings in Pollard, who has definite durability concerns at RB1.
He brings in Awuzie at CB, who was great two years ago before his injury, but this year looked slower and was not all that effective. Definitely another injury concern there.
Sinks a ton of money into Ridley, who has never proven to be a consistently reliable number 1 receiver.
I don't know much about LB Kenneth Murray, but Mason Rudolph is a clown for a backup QB.
And he let King Henry leave in FA.

All in all that seems like the makings of a mediocre team.
He should have tried to trade for Higgins and Mixon. Titans would be better off with those two.
Shouldn't have over-paid for Awuzie IMO.

I don't think Callahan will last long with the Titans, but I could be wrong. If all those players stay healthy, they could be good.... (grits teeth)

One more thought: the Titans oline is falling apart. It's hard to see Pollard staying healthy if they don't improve up front.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: And the Mulugheta train of clients not resigning with their current team continues. It's his pattern.

It appears a great agent. His job is not to appease fans of teams, his job is to get his client paid big $$$.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:13 PM)pally Wrote: huge payday for Ridley, a David Mulugeta client

23 million per year doesnt sound too far off base.    Over his 5 year NFL career he has put up 4,358 yards with 36 TDs.  Higgins in 4 years has put up 3684 with 24 TDs by comparison.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The point I was trying to make (and I thought was obvious) was that once you're a competitive team and paying some big contracts to certain positions, you won't be able to keep everyone...especially really good players who are going to hit FA.
Teams like the Patriots and Steelers in the 2000s and 2010s frequently let some good talent go because of cost, but they had a plan to replace those players with cheaper options. And they found ways via budget signings and/or the draft to make that happen.

As you said, KC was able to have a great draft after trading Hill, which has contributed heavily to them continuing to have success after.
Bengals need to hit on their draft picks (especially early ones) to continue to have success after losing proven talents like Bates and likely losing Higgins after this year.

Bengals have Higgins for 21.6 million (not chump change for Tee) and then can tag him again for around 24 million in 2025 if he has a great year. Based on the Ridely contract, Tee is a steal this year.

Bengals control Tee, Tee and his agent don't control the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
FWIW, I have no problem letting Higgins play on the tag at $21.6. I always thought it was likely.

He wants $25+ a year. We can tag him twice for $23-$24 per year with no long term commitments.

We can see what Yoshi & Jones turn into. And, potentially, what Jefferson does in FA.

Now, the situation at DT is making my head explode.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:20 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Could not agree more. 

I think we are seeing real time evidence of why this franchise never wins anything. 

Ridley to TN. Tee's agent. 4 yr/$92. $50 mil guaranteed. $23 APY. 

Get with it Bengals. 

You do understand that there was never any chance of Tee staying - he was gone the moment he got Mulugheta as his agent - that is Mulugheta's MO. 
Reply/Quote