Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 06:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: They could at least do another Tweet to say that they are now REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wishing they could tell us something

Just waiting on the actual real genuine legal time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:49 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Do you understand he isn't leaving? At least not this year. I have no problem tagging Higgins. 

My beef is the total lack of activity in the trenches and sitting on $50 mil of cap space. And no renegotiations to add more space (OBJ). And not getting the idea that having a TE who can block AND catch is a good idea.

If we were cash strapped, our moves would make sense. Good bargain on Stone. Allows the Scott cut. But for a contender with 2 more years of Hendrickson trying to win a SB? Barf. 

We have paid out more for backups/fringe starters (Sample, ADG, Moss, Ford, T. Williams, Gesicki) than for clear starters (Stone). Even if you call Gesicki or Moss starters (they were both backups last year), it still is true. Close to true if you count them both. 

We saved $8.5 mil vs the cap by cutting Mixon & Scott. Stone + Moss count $9 mil vs the cap this year. It is nearly a wash, cap wise. 

The only moves we have made that actually dent our cap are for backups: Gesicki at $2.5, Sample $4.9, ADG $3, Ford $1.35, TWill vet min? 

All the while we have lots of space and glaring holes at DT/NT, RT, WR3, CB4, and TE1. And a desperate need for interior pass rush. Again, I didn't expect ALL those holes filled in FA. But I don't think ONE, with $50 mil to spend, is asking too much. Two? 

Again, it isn't over yet. But I do not want to hear any more Hobson articles on how Volson is gonna be a pro-bowl G or Zach Carter looking really good.

He may not leave this season but he is leaving. Mulugheta clients almost never resign with their original team. 

As to this year, Stone directly addresses a need and so does Moss. Even Gesicki gives us a slot option that is a true mismatch. I agree we need IDL and RT still big time. All we can do is watch and wait. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:50 PM)pally Wrote:

Did I miss a rash of people calling players disloyal? Most people, on this board at least, seem to understand it’s a business quite well.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:48 PM)depthchart Wrote: They could at least do another Tweet to say that they are now REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wishing they could tell us something

The Bengals tweets from yesterday are not anything meaningful. They were just gimmicky social media 101, marketing tactics. 

"OMG, we cannot post anything," add a clever meme, and call it a day. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or we can just relax and let things develop. They'll happen when they happen and us having anxiety won't speed anything up.

That is fair. 

But it is also fair to say it has been underwhelming so far. And it looks like we could be worse, not better. 
Reply/Quote

and that's what he tells his clients why they should go after the big money. I don't fault him or the players. Sure, it sucks if it hurts the Bengals but it's all about the Benjamins for the players.

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rj6ngs80g76agte0rfd...w.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote

Perhaps he's part of the reason teams are forced into being "disloyal"?  I mean if he didn't oversell their services and promise things that they cannot deliver, they would still be happily employed, likely by their original teams.  People aren't "parts" that can just be plugged into any "team" and expected to produce the same or better results than had developed with the organization that originally chose them.  A small few are "elite" talents that will make any club better, most are players whose skill sets fit certain schemes better than others.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If he pulls his hamstring again this next season and misses even more time, what is going to be his trade value next year?  His asking price must already be too high because the Titans passed on him to sign Calvin Ridley instead.  Tee's options are getting slimmer if he wants a long term deal from some team.  If Tee's agent is that great of an agent and Tee is that good of a WR in the NFL, he should have a bunch of teams pounding down the door to get him.  Where are they at?

Let me ask you this:

If his trade value is low. What is more valuable?

Option A: Having him as your number two receiver.

Option B: A 2nd round pick that's a coin flip if it's a hit or not (based on our track record).

If his value is low, I'd rather keep him because of what he can do on the field.
I don't like the idea of trading him when his value is low, then he balls out for another team that is actually capable of fully utilizing him.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Or we can just relax and let things develop. They'll happen when they happen and us having anxiety won't speed anything up.

Spot on

I would add when younger, I had little patience for anything. The board also is a place for people to vent, I get it as I used to want the one or 2 big signings immediately.

Now, I know I can't control it, I know it is a lot more complicated than I know as a fan.

It has helped with our decisions the past 3 or 4 years since Burrow to trust our FO, though in hindsight Monday morning QB shows Scott and Smith signings in 2023 were bad.

I hope our FA is better when all is said in done in 2024.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:59 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Let me ask you this:

If his trade value is low. What is more valuable?

Option A: Having him as your number two receiver.

Option B: A 2nd round pick that's a coin flip if it's a hit or not (based on our track record).

If his value is low, I'd rather keep him because of what he can do on the field.
I don't like the idea of trading him when his value is low, then he balls out for another team that is actually capable of fully utilizing him.

Bengals are in an enviable position, if Chase goes down for a game or more, we have Tee who can fill that role. A lot of teams don't have a #1 as good as Tee.

I also liked our 2 WR draft picks in 2023. I see one as a backup outside WR and Jones as a slot receiver who can get close to Boyd production in 2024 if he stays healthy (he was not in 2023).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: He may not leave this season but he is leaving. Mulugheta clients almost never resign with their original team. 

As to this year, Stone directly addresses a need and so does Moss. Even Gesicki gives us a slot option that is a true mismatch. I agree we need IDL and RT still big time. All we can do is watch and wait. 

Everybody leaves eventually. That means nothing. I thought we were talking about this year? 

I think the Stone signing is quality. The player & the value. But everyone else is a backup. Everybody. Not that there aren't things that they all bring. Moss is a better pass protector than Mixon, but not as good of a receiver. Sample can block but is zero threat receiving. Gesicki is a legit red-zone & 3rd and short to medium guy, and cannot block a lick. Plus, he is only on a 1 year deal. Should we count him on the Higgins scale & say he is leaving, too. ADG is nice insurance, but he's a backup. 

Over the last 4-5 years I can count the number of Bengal backups (who are not on rookie deals) making $2+ mil on one hand. Gio. Perine. Scharping's first year. Now, some of this could be a by product of the cap increase. But bending on it at the bottom of the pay scale, but not the top, seems silly to me. Backwards in fact. It is a lot easier to draft a Sample/ADG replacement than one for Reader.

Again, it isn't over yet. But most of the best are already gone. And there is no Reader replacement out there. None
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Everybody leaves eventually. That means nothing. I thought we were talking about this year? 

I think the Stone signing is quality. The player & the value. But everyone else is a backup. Everybody. Not that there aren't things that they all bring. Moss is a better pass protector than Mixon, but not as good of a receiver. Sample can block but is zero threat receiving. Gesicki is a legit red-zone & 3rd and short to medium guy, but he is only on a 1 year deal. Should we count him on the Higgins scale & say he is leaving, too. ADG is nice insurance, but he's a backup. 

Over the last 4-5 years I can count the number of Bengal backups (who are not on rookie deals) making $2+ mil on one hand. Gio. Perine. Scharping's first year. Now, some of this could be a by product of the cap increase. But bending on it at the bottom of the pay scale, but not the top, seems silly to me. 

Again, it isn't over yet. But most of the best are already gone. And there is no Reader replacement out there. 

Moss is also far better than Mixon for balance, breaking tackles, not going down to the first defender and such. It's his RB game and style (hard to tackle power back). In that respect he is a far better fit for our pin and pull scheme than Mixon was. 
Reply/Quote
All of the negativity will go away if they just SIGN A FUGGIN’ RT!!!

and a decent DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: Moss is also far better than Mixon for balance, breaking tackles, not going down to the first defender and such. It's his RB game and style (hard to tackle power back). In that respect he is a far better fit for our pin and pull scheme than Mixon was. 

That is a fair take. But I think it is a lateral move, at best. Hope I am wrong there. The deed is done. 

We did Joe a solid with the trade. 

But I'd much rather pay Tommy Townsend $3 mil and draft a LB3/TE2 type round 5. Tip Reiman anyone? At least it solves a starter problem. 

The Texans are killing it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:13 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: All of the negativity will go away if they just SIGN A FUGGIN’ RT!!!

and a decent DT.

and acquire Jefferson, cut the punter, and keep pick 18.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote

Most people dont have a job that guarantees they will keep you if you are not performing to the level expected.   Most people certainly dont make millions of dollars per year.   Imagine any other job were a worker complains they only made 10 million last year but they were let go because they werent good enough.  Disloyal company, all they did was pay me 10 million dollars last year then they let me go and didnt keep me.  It just sounds like a bunch of greedy, whiny millionaires trying to justify their greed.  Imagine complaining you didnt get a bigger share of the pie because the company wanted to share more of that pie with others.  You are the problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:15 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Most people dont have a job that guarantees they will keep you if you are not performing to the level expected.   Most people certainly dont make millions of dollars per year.   Imagine any other job were a worker complains they only made 10 million last year but they were let go because they werent good enough.  Disloyal company, all they did was pay me 10 million dollars last year then they let me go and didnt keep me.  It just sounds like a bunch of greedy, whiny millionaires trying to justify their greed.  Imagine complaining you didnt get a bigger share of the pie because the company wanted to share more of that pie with others.  You are the problem.

This is pro sports though... Not most jobs. The one sport of the major North American leagues that is guaranteed to wreck your body doesn't guarantee contracts.

People can hate on that guy all they want cause he's "hard to work with"... He's right.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Why did the 49ers cut Arik Armstead? They saved only 2.2 million against the cap. Was it a personality issue? is he overpaid? Too old? Too many injuries? Bengals fans are hoping to sign Armistead, but the 49ers cut him with dead money, which they are spreading over two years. I wondering what the Bengals are trying to get here.

By the way, someone above posted that he was not good against the run, but 49ers fans are saying he was very good against the run. In fact, that when he is out the run defense suffers greatly. That would be a plus in the AFC North.
Reply/Quote
Ravens have reached out to 49ers about trading for Deebo via Jason LaConfora
Reply/Quote
If you think I am being negative now, wait till DJ signs with Detroit and Boyd goes to Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote