Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 09:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I just posted them; Tart, Tim Settle, and Poona Ford

Tart it is then the familiarity with Rankings will massively help too seeing as our biggest problem last season seemed to be communication.

Get it done Duke
Reply/Quote
2 years 26 million Christ on a bike.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What a crazy take.  iDL pass rush has been a problem for the last 2 seasons.  We still have BJ..... there is no pleasing some of you. 

A serviceable NT is all they need now on the dline.

Well, I take back my comments and remove that take. I did want a pass rushing IDL and was delighted with Rankins. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:36 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: 2 years 26 million Christ on a bike.

Not bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sorry, you are correct, yes that is really light for a NT and that is why I kept saying it.

Why would you ever question the sensei, young grasshopper?

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think the plan is Rankins and Hill are our 3Ts, so we'll have a decent rotation again. 

If that is the plan, I am happy. He is way better than Carter/Tufele. Last 4 years Rankins sacks: 6, 4, 4, 2. Tupou, Carter, & Tufele combined for zero last year. 

Rankins is nearly 30. I'd expect Armstead is off the table now. 

My off-season FA list would have been: 

1. Tag/retain Higgins: ATM, check 
2. Re-sign Reader = looking iffy 
3. Sign vet S = Stone. Excellent. 
4. Cut Scott when sign vet S = check 
---------------- 
5. Get another needle mover/hole filler at at least one of 3T, TE, WR, P. 
6. Re-sign some of our cheap veteran depth (D. Sample, Hudson, ADG, Ford, Scharping, Irwin, T. Williams, Tupou, Bailey, Bachie). 

I expected #6 would come later. But we went earlier & stronger than I thought. But 4 in the bag already of the 10 I had any interest in bringing back. 

I think Rankins surely counts as a #5, maybe Gesicki as well. But I am not sure either gets me off a draft pick if they are BPA. 

We are 3 of 4 on the other stuff. 

Big needs: 
1. NT/DT type: Reader FA, Sweat draft 
2. RT: #18,  and/or Smith/Brown/Collins 
3. WR3: Day 2 draft or Boyd/Renfrow value
4. CB4: Day 2 draft or FA value (if Reader signed) or bigger ticket (Reader walks).
----------
Medium 
5. TE. We can live with Gesicki/Sample, butca more complete one would be nice. 
6. IOL help/depth 
7. Punter 

If we can get that top list down to 3, my negative Nancy will be fully off.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Please respect my privacy? Weird.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, I take back my comments and remove that take. I did want a pass rushing IDL and was delighted with Rankins. 

Thank you sir!  He should be a quality pick up.  You are correct we need a quality NT.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be alright.  Coach Lou knows how to rotate his personnel.  Joshua Tupau will have to start earning his pay for two downs, then rotate to BJ and Rankins for 3rd down..

Thanks for not hammering my take. Appreciated.
Reply/Quote
What a burn by Williams on Herbert...
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:34 PM)samhain Wrote: Lapham was gushing about him when they played us.  He really screwed up his reputation in Tennessee.  Bad enough to get cut.  But, when he hit waivers, the Bengals were one of the teams that put in a claim.  

Good to know, I only knew about Jeff Simmons of those boys and that we got dominated by the Titans last year when Burrow was hurt.

I hope Tart has his head on straight, if so, he could be a good get for us as you said, he was really good early last year.

(03-13-2024, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It'll be alright.  Coach Lou knows how to rotate his personnel.  Joshua Tupau will have to start earning his pay for two downs, then rotate to BJ and Rankins for 3rd down..

We signed back Tupou?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Thank you sir!  He should be a quality pick up.  You are correct we need a quality NT.

Thank you. Always ready to be corrected when I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would you ever question the sensei, young grasshopper?

It's what I do. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Sounds like the Bengals are still interested in retaining Reader according to the last paragraph of the Rankins story.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/03/bengals-closing-in-on-deal-with-dt-sheldon-rankins
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, I only knew about Jeff Simmons of those boys and that we got dominated by the Titans last year when Burrow was hurt.

I hope Tart has his head on straight, if so, he could be a good get for us as you said, he was really good early last year.

We signed back Tupou?

I'm betting that it will be coming up shortly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Please respect my privacy?  Weird.

I thought so too... Maybe he is the most popular kid in HS
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:40 PM)Nepa Wrote: Thanks for not hammering my take. Appreciated.

(03-13-2024, 09:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: Thank you. Always ready to be corrected when I'm wrong.

Fragility is a virtue for some.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Who do you have as our starting TE?  

No one. It will be play specific. Gesicki for passing plays. Sample for runs. It is one reason I do not love that combo. If we can get a more complete TE it would help a ton. 

I mean, we got by with Sample/Hudson last year. So this IS better. But not ideal. Neither Gesicki (on a 1 year deal) nor Sample would stop me from taking a TE early (Bowers, Sanders, Stover, Sinnott, Johnson) who I think can be a legit TE1. 

Now, other, more pressing needs (RT, NT, WR3, CB4) might prevent it. But in no way do I think TE1 is solved. Certainly not long term. 

ATM, I bet Gesicki woukd "start" and Sample will play more snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:38 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would you ever question the sensei, young grasshopper?
I am impressed you spelled sensei correctly  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm betting that it will be coming up shortly.

Think I would rather bring in Tart if Reader is signed by the Lions after hearing what Samhain said.

Tupou was pretty terrible last year from what I saw and he was on the last year of his contract same as Reader.
Reply/Quote