Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-15-2024, 12:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't recall many times that signing the former 1st Round bust that's often injured works out.

[Image: hi-res-34e44c76defe4d8bd406fa0656aba245_...072&h=2048]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:37 AM)tms Wrote: I think we have (lost that luxury). And I hope I'm wrong. I love what we've done with the secondary. There are a lot of options now for a DB savant like Lou. Moss for Mixon is tomayto tomahto. Re-upping Sample and signing Gesicki for pennies on the dollar was a coup, but that's not the reason why I think we've lost the luxury to take Bowers. I just think we've backed ourselves into a corner where we absolutely need a RT1. We misplayed our hand there, particularly if we sign Becton. I've been listening to Jets fans cry about him for four years- even when he was playing "well" as per PFF- and their line is as notoriously bad as ours. If Reiff, La'el and Jonah couldn't get the job done, then Mekhi Becton couldn't possibly be the guy either.  

And I absolutely love love love Bowers. So it's painful to admit. But if we're sitting there at 18 staring at Bowers / Fautanu / Byron Murphy II / Quinton and a glut of second-tier receivers, I think it's Fautanu by default- and he'd be way down my board otherwise.

As for a 1-tech to spell Reader, I think it's moot. I don't see anyone with a Round 1 grade. It's not a NT-laden draft imo.  

An offensive tackle,does not have to be a first round pick,to be a good player,in the NFL.There are many,who weren't first round picks,who did very wel.Andrew Whitworth,for example.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:00 AM)bengalsboy Wrote: An offensive tackle,does not have to be a first round pick,to be a good player,in the NFL.There are many,who weren't first round picks,who did very wel.Andrew Whitworth,for example.

100% true. I'm just talking plug and plays. We could try to beat the odds and stick Anim Dankwah in there next year but I don't like our chances. That's all I'm saying.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Hollywood Brown to the Chiefs is bad... very bad. I'm not a Brown fan but the fit for the Chiefs is ridiculous.

Eh, he's a mid receiver. Not even all that much better than the ones they have. If they got an actual big named receiver then I would think that's really bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He has potential to be better than Jonah. He also has the potential to miss 17 games.

Jonah has hardly been a pillar of health himself.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:32 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Eh, he's a mid receiver. Not even all that much better than the ones they have. If they got an actual big named receiver then I would think that's really bad.

Brown is better than mid, and he is a menace against the bengals. He has scored 6 TDS vs the bengals in 6 games (4 games with 1 TD, 1 game with 2 TDs, and one with zero.

He averages 4.8 catches per game, never having less than 4 catches and 63 yards per game.

He is far from elite, but he is a solid nfl receiver. He will fit in with KC.
Reply/Quote
Any OT visits yet? besides Becton cause no thanks
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:32 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Eh, he's a mid receiver. Not even all that much better than the ones they have. If they got an actual big named receiver then I would think that's really bad.

Here's the thing, a receiver doesn't have to be good in the classical sense of the term, in order to enjoy success while playing with Pat Mahomes.  All they really need to do is be able to keep moving and coming back to the QB as Mahomes runs around extending the play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:26 AM)bonesaw Wrote: True but if you're gonna roll the dice might as well be on a monster like this.  Not much out there but old guys, which would be ok to as a stop gap.  Gotta do something

Rolling the dice is why our star QB's career is in jeopardy as it is as the injuries pile up.... 

Why openly role the dice with Burrow's already shaky future?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't recall many times that signing the former 1st Round bust that's often injured works out.

380 pounds with known knee issues in both knees.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:46 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Brown is better than mid, and he is a menace against the bengals. He has scored 6 TDS vs the bengals in 6 games (4 games with 1 TD, 1 game with 2 TDs, and one with zero.

He averages 4.8 catches per game, never having less than 4 catches and 63 yards per game.

He is far from elite, but he is a solid nfl receiver. He will fit in with KC.

Jason McCourty and the GMFB crew were talking about it as one of the best free agency moves. Gives them a deep threat.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully Brown to KC will move them off of Xavier Worthy. KC is and has made great decisions in the draft and FA.

KC however isn't our concern. This isn't 2022. Those fun days are over. Our concern is winning games in the AFCN, and getting out of the basement.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jason McCourty and the GMFB crew were talking about it as one of the best free agency moves. Gives them a deep threat.
Wait a minute. I thought Taylor Swift, the prettiest girl in the trailer park, was their deep threat...
Reply/Quote
It's now being reported that Becton is a Bengal..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mekhi-becton-now-a-former-jet-signs-with-bengals/ar-BB1jUWUR?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=633bfd5e6b004e9baab5f9183b5c8311&ei=22

Quote:Mekhi Becton’s time with the Jets is officially over. Becton took a visit to Cincinnati Thursday. He can now start calling it home. Becton is now a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1768398421054902596?s=46&t=CkJbCrfGw4guyBfYltR-YA

Becton leaves after four seasons with the Jets that were filled with injuries, including playing just one game due to knee injuries between 2021 and 2022. He did stay relatively healthy in 2023 and was able to cash in a bit on the success last season, showing he still has some potential that can be tapped into. Now it’s up to the Bengals to see if they can make some magic with him.

Becton could possibly compete for the starting job at right tackle after the Bengals lost Jonah Williams in free agency to the Arizona Cardinals.
Becton was drafted 11th overall by the Jets in 2020. After a roller coaster four years, he’ll now try to protect Joe Burrow.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:38 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Jason McCourty and the GMFB crew were talking about it as one of the best free agency moves. Gives them a deep threat.

Next year, remind me to ignore posts about all the Bengals cap space and how competitors like KC will be in trouble. Somehow, the Chiefs managed to sign Chris Jones, keep Sneed, and add Hollywood Brown. They lose their all-pro punter and pick up the Punt God. Even the three teams in the AFCN, supposedly in cap hell, at least relative to the Bengals, all made some splash signings. I'm beginning to think the salary cap is just a state of mind.
Reply/Quote
If they sign Becton, I wonder how many years they commit to.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:45 AM)Nepa Wrote: Next year, remind me to ignore posts about all the Bengals cap space and how competitors like KC will be in trouble. Somehow, the Chiefs managed to sign Chris Jones, keep Sneed, and add Hollywood Brown. They lose their all-pro punter and pick up the Punt God. Even the three teams in the AFCN, supposedly in cap hell, at least relative to the Bengals, all made some splash signings. I'm beginning to think the salary cap is just a state of mind.

That's the thing. People say you can't pay Burrow 50m, Chase 30m, and Tee 25m because that'll leave 160m for the rest of the roster. I agree in theory, but in reality there are plenty of teams that have 3 guys making 25m+.

I'm not saying that means we should pay Tee. I'm saying the argument shouldn't be focused on 3 players making 105m not leaving enough for the rest of the roster. If that was the case it wouldn't matter if it was the QB, WR, DE. I think the argument should remain all the money being in the Wideout room isn't ideal for roster building. 

The argument that 3 players making 105m can't work is somewhat misleading. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:47 AM)Goalpost Wrote: If they sign Becton, I wonder how many years they commit to.

They haven't really committed to any of these FA signings. 

That was one of my big surprises. 70m and not cornerstone piece. No foundation piece for the next 3-4 years. And with 21m already spent on a 1 year rental, it'll be hard to say we got much out of this final (pre Burrow contract cap hit) FA splurge 2 years from now. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 09:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's now being reported that Becton is a Bengal..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mekhi-becton-now-a-former-jet-signs-with-bengals/ar-BB1jUWUR?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=633bfd5e6b004e9baab5f9183b5c8311&ei=22

Anything more than 5 mil and we overpaid
Reply/Quote
Apparently Tart, Becton, and Burrow, Pollack and some others were at Ruby's last night.

We all know that these guys are most likely going to sign after going to Ruby's with Burrow - that's the closing.

I just find it hilarious that we are whoring Burrow out to sign guys like Tart and Becton lol
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote