Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NYJ DL Sheldon Richardson suspended for Bengals game
(06-30-2016, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A coach yanks a player's hair during a game on a team with a history of coaches interfering with games? Fine rescinded.

Driving 143mph and trying to flee from the police with pot smells and loaded guns for a guy who's already been suspended before? 1 game suspension.

Glancing blow with your shoulder off a falling WR's head from a guy who has never been suspended before? 3 game suspension.

...seems legit. Ninja

I came to post something along those lines.

A high speed chase to flee police is not as bad as incidental contact to a Steelers player? Get bent Godell.

The league wants to question old ass still jacked up James Harrison about performance enhancing drugs. And he is the one making demands.

The Cowboys have 3 defensive starters suspended. But if we signed Greg Hardy we would be shunned more than we already are.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 01:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They will? Why will Geno Atkins be missing?
Wrong biggest defensive threat. Geno is 1A.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 04:16 PM)jason Wrote: Wrong biggest defensive threat. Geno is 1A.

Geno
-
-
-
The start of the rest of the list.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Kirkpatrick Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 07:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Geno
-
-
-
The start of the rest of the list.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Kirkpatrick Ninja

It's easily arguable that Burfict is a much bigger piece to this defense than Atkins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just to put in perspective how much more Burfict means to the defense compared to Atkins...

2013: before Atkins went down the team was giving up 18.44 ppg, and 325 ypg. After Atkins went down the defense gave up 19.85 ppg and 280 ypg. The defense actually didn't miss a beat, and Atkins missed pretty much half of the season.

2015: w/o Burfict the defense gave up 20.33 ppg, and 370 ypg. With Burfict the defense gave up 15.7 ppg, and 294 ypg. That's a pretty huge difference in defensive performance.

I think this easily shows that Burfict is our MVP on defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 01:16 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Unknown starting QB and now this. Starting to feel like a trap game to me.

What I really like is that it reduces their ability to have their rotation at that position.  By the fourth quarter of the first game of the season, they will be sucking wind.  I hope the Bengals attack early through the air, and then grind down the Jets with the run.  

I loved the game plan two years ago where Marvin Jones went off:  a lot of quick screens that got him in space and forced the big men to chase.  
Reply/Quote
Full strength, partial strength, doesn't matter. September 11, who gives a shit? None of that matters. Jets are going going down and that's the end of that story.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2016, 08:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Just to put in perspective how much more Burfict means to the defense compared to Atkins...

2013: before Atkins went down the team was giving up 18.44 ppg, and 325 ypg. After Atkins went down the defense gave up 19.85 ppg and 280 ypg. The defense actually didn't miss a beat, and Atkins missed pretty much half of the season.

2015: w/o Burfict the defense gave up 20.33 ppg, and 370 ypg. With Burfict the defense gave up 15.7 ppg, and 294 ypg. That's a pretty huge difference in defensive performance.

I think this easily shows that Burfict is our MVP on defense.

Yes, because everything else was totally the same between 2013 and 2015. No variables there! No difference in opponents, or coaching, or anything.  Ninja

I could follow your logic and say something like "The Bengals were 5-2 without Atkins. They were 6-0 without Burfict. This easily shows that Atkins is our MVP on defense." but it would have the exact same problems as your previous statement.

Not even touching how Mike Zimmer (the D coach in 2013) knows how to get meh players to produce good results as a team.
- - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

Instead I will play a game.. it's called "Is he the best at his position?"

Is Geno Atkins the best DT in the league? Yes.
Is Vontaze Burfict the best LB in the league? No.

Done.

Reply/Quote
How can the season opener for a team be a trap game? If they aren't pumped and giving it all they got for the first game then something is seriously wrong.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2016, 01:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, because everything else was totally the same between 2013 and 2015. No variables there! No difference in opponents, or coaching, or anything.  Ninja

I could follow your logic and say something like "The Bengals were 5-2 without Atkins. They were 6-0 without Burfict. This easily shows that Atkins is our MVP on defense." but it would have the exact same problems as your previous statement.

Not even touching how Mike Zimmer (the D coach in 2013) knows how to get meh players to produce good results as a team.
- - - - - - - - - - - -- - -

Instead I will play a game.. it's called "Is he the best at his position?"

Is Geno Atkins the best DT in the league? Yes.
Is Vontaze Burfict the best LB in the league? No.

Done.

Atkins isn't the best DT in the league, and Burfict is close to the best in the league. The last full year Burfict was healthy he lead the league in tackles. The only LB that would fit in our defense as a LB that would be better is Kuechly.

If you look at our defense ANY time Burfict is out of the game it's VERY VERY noticeable how much worse we are doing. If you look at 2014 when Burfict was playing we were doing great on defense. One of the best in points allowed. When Burfict couldn't get back on the field our defense looked like crap.

The defense plays good w/o Atkins and plays like crap w/o Burfict. It seems pretty obvious that Burfict means more to the defense than Atkins. Team records isn't following my logic at all. It's showing a team stat and not a defensive stat. Our defense could shut an opponent out and we could still lose.

Burfict is the MVP of our defense, and if you can't see it then you need to re-watch a lot of our games.
Reply/Quote
Double Wilkerson cause of this. We actually might be able to run on them which i thought wouldn't
happen before this. Richardson and that starting DL is made to stop the run. Dalton feasted on them
the last time they met though. But that was with MLJ.

Still think this is going to be a low scoring game.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2016, 03:24 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How can the season opener for a team be a trap game? If they aren't pumped and giving it all they got for the first game then something is seriously wrong.

You are doing something seriously wrong Dave...

(07-02-2016, 04:17 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Atkins isn't the best DT in the league, and Burfict is close to the best in the league. The last full year Burfict was healthy he lead the league in tackles. The only LB that would fit in our defense as a LB that would be better is Kuechly.

If you look at our defense ANY time Burfict is out of the game it's VERY VERY noticeable how much worse we are doing. If you look at 2014 when Burfict was playing we were doing great on defense. One of the best in points allowed. When Burfict couldn't get back on the field our defense looked like crap.

The defense plays good w/o Atkins and plays like crap w/o Burfict. It seems pretty obvious that Burfict means more to the defense than Atkins. Team records isn't following my logic at all. It's showing a team stat and not a defensive stat. Our defense could shut an opponent out and we could still lose.

Burfict is the MVP of our defense, and if you can't see it then you need to re-watch a lot of our games.

Geno Atkins is the best DT in the league and plays in the trenches where games are won.

TLL is correct and you are wrong. Geno is our best Defensive player and i love Burfict. But Burfict isn't even close to
Keuchly in coverage and the reason he looks so damn good is the rest of our backers have sucked compared to him.

Geno is the unquestioned player that Offenses worry about first. He blows up the running game and the QB's...

Directly through the heart.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are doing something seriously wrong Dave...

Geno Atkins is the best DT in the league and plays in the trenches where games are won.

TLL is correct and you are wrong. Geno is our best Defensive player and i love Burfict. But Burfict isn't even close to
Keuchly in coverage and the reason he looks so damn good is the rest of our backers have sucked compared to him.

Geno is the unquestioned player that Offenses worry about first. He blows up the running game and the QB's...

Directly through the heart.

Aaron Donald is better than Atkins. Burfict is better against the run and setting up the defense than Kuechly. Kuechly is better than Burfict, but not by much. The same with Donald, he's better but not by much. Burfict effects our defense much more than Atkins does, and it's proven by the stats. When Atkins was out the defense didn't miss a beat, but when Burfict went down the defense played a lot worse.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 09:57 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Aaron Donald is better than Atkins. Burfict is better against the run and setting up the defense than Kuechly. Kuechly is better than Burfict, but not by much. The same with Donald, he's better but not by much. Burfict effects our defense much more than Atkins does, and it's proven by the stats. When Atkins was out the defense didn't miss a beat, but when Burfict went down the defense played a lot worse.

How about these stats..

First Team All-Pros

Atkins: 2
Burfict: 0

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 08:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Double Wilkerson cause of this. We actually might be able to run on them which i thought wouldn't
happen before this. Richardson and that starting DL is made to stop the run. Dalton feasted on them
the last time they met though. But that was with MLJ.

Still think this is going to be a low scoring game.

Being the first game out gate, I suspect a slow start. A Close game due to conservative play calling/minimal chemistry with WR2/3.
Hope I'm wrong and they sling that ball.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 10:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How about these stats..

First Team All-Pros

Atkins: 2
Burfict: 0

All that means is that the media likes Atkins better. You do know that the all-pro is voted on by the media, right? It doesn't actually mean who's better than who.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2016, 04:17 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Atkins isn't the best DT in the league, and Burfict is close to the best in the league. The last full year Burfict was healthy he lead the league in tackles. The only LB that would fit in our defense as a LB that would be better is Kuechly.

I disagree with this.  When the Bengals started out 8-0, it was without Burfict.  The defense was stellar, even without him.  If Atkins isn't the best DT in the league (at least for the defense the Bengals run, 4-3, where he plays the 5-technique, then I would be curious to know who is better.

Burfict is a major contributor, and they are undoubtedly better with him in the lineup, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the defense plays good without Atkins.  At 100%, which he is now, he is a difference maker.  
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 09:57 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Aaron Donald is better than Atkins. Burfict is better against the run and setting up the defense than Kuechly. Kuechly is better than Burfict, but not by much. The same with Donald, he's better but not by much. Burfict effects our defense much more than Atkins does, and it's proven by the stats. When Atkins was out the defense didn't miss a beat, but when Burfict went down the defense played a lot worse.

Not even close.  Aaron Donald gets a lot of pub being a first round pick on a defensive line with a lot of other first round picks.  What did he do when he ran in to a decent offensive line (like here in Cincy)?  Nothing.  

I don't want to argue against what you are saying about Burfict, and maybe I would call him defensive MVP because of his ability to read and call defenses, but I think you are way off base with your analysis of Donald vs. Atkins.  
Reply/Quote

Well i completely disagree. Watch the Rams game last year. Geno was by far better than Donald and by the way...

Guess who Aaron Donald's favorite player is...

Geno Frickin' Atkins. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 10:51 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Being the first game out gate, I suspect a slow start. A Close game due to conservative play calling/minimal chemistry with WR2/3.
Hope I'm wrong and they sling that ball.

I expect the same.

Plays into our hands this way cause in the end we are the better Offensive team.

I think we squeak it out.
Reply/Quote