Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NYJ DL Sheldon Richardson suspended for Bengals game
(07-04-2016, 11:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I disagree with this.  When the Bengals started out 8-0, it was without Burfict.  The defense was stellar, even without him.  If Atkins isn't the best DT in the league (at least for the defense the Bengals run, 4-3, where he plays the 5-technique, then I would be curious to know who is better.

Burfict is a major contributor, and they are undoubtedly better with him in the lineup, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the defense plays good without Atkins.  At 100%, which he is now, he is a difference maker.  

If the defense continued to play like they were w/o Burfict we would have been in the 12th in points allowed and 23rd in yards. They were no where close to stellar. The team was an offensive team with a mediocre defense until Burfict came back. Just go re-watch the games, or at least look at the score board.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 11:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not even close.  Aaron Donald gets a lot of pub being a first round pick on a defensive line with a lot of other first round picks.  What did he do when he ran in to a decent offensive line (like here in Cincy)?  Nothing.  

I don't want to argue against what you are saying about Burfict, and maybe I would call him defensive MVP because of his ability to read and call defenses, but I think you are way off base with your analysis of Donald vs. Atkins.  

(07-04-2016, 12:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well i completely disagree. Watch the Rams game last year. Geno was by far better than Donald and by the way...

Guess who Aaron Donald's favorite player is...

Geno Frickin' Atkins. Mellow

Aaron Donald had better or the same stats in every major category last year. He had way better stats against the run, and he had just as many sacks as Geno. Just because Geno did better against the Rams line than what Donald did against the Bengals line means absolutely nothing. If you actually look at Donald vs Atkins objectively then you would know Donald is better.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 01:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Aaron Donald had better or the same stats in every major category last year. He had way better stats against the run, and he had just as many sacks as Geno. Just because Geno did better against the Rams line than what Donald did against the Bengals line means absolutely nothing. If you actually look at Donald vs Atkins objectively then you would know Donald is better.

To say what you are saying doesn't sound like you are looking at Donald vs Atkins objectively either.

Sure i am a Geno homer but i wouldn't trade Atkins for Donald. I truly believe Geno Atkins is better than Aaron Donald.

Not by much but Geno is a better pass rusher and can be consistently dominant.

If Donald was better he would of played better against our weak Center. Our OL made him disappear.

That would not happen with Geno when he is 100%.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 02:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To say what you are saying doesn't sound like you are looking at Donald vs Atkins objectively either.

Sure i am a Geno homer but i wouldn't trade Atkins for Donald. I truly believe Geno Atkins is better than Aaron Donald.

Not by much but Geno is a better pass rusher and can be consistently dominant.

If Donald was better he would of played better against our weak Center. Our OL made him disappear.

That would not happen with Geno when he is 100%.

You keep bringing up the fact that Donald didn't play well against our OL. That literally means nothing. At the end of the year Donald had better stats than Atkins. Players have bad games, that doesn't mean that they're bad. Plus you act like Atkins has never had a bad game. How am I not being objective if I'm looking straight at the stat sheet and Donald has better stats almost across the board?
Reply/Quote
Aaron Donald finished way below Geno on the top 100 list...

I realize that's a bullshit list. Burfict's exclusion from the list is proof. It does show that their peers think more highly of Geno than Donald though. Geno may be the heart of our D, but Burfict is the unit's nutsack.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:16 PM)jason Wrote: Aaron Donald finished way below Geno on the top 100 list...

I realize that's a bullshit list. Burfict's exclusion from the list is proof. It does show that their peers think more highly of Geno than Donald though. Geno may be the heart of our D, but Burfict is the unit's nutsack.

Donald was 14th on the list Geno was 29th. I do agree that the list is mostly bullshit thought.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:19 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Donald was 14th on the list Geno was 29th. I do agree that the list is mostly bullshit thought.
Damn. When I googled it, it said 92. Maybe that was last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:24 PM)jason Wrote: Damn. When I googled it, it said 92. Maybe that was last year.

Yep, and it's pretty impressive to make the list as a rookie. There's not too many defensive rookies on that list.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:25 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yep, and it's pretty impressive to make the list as a rookie. There's not too many defensive rookies on that list.

Next year, plan on one more..  William Jackson III, CB Bengals. Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Next year, plan on one more.. NICK VIGIL, LB Bengals #1. Cool

Fixed it for you.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 01:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If the defense continued to play like they were w/o Burfict we would have been in the 12th in points allowed and 23rd in yards. They were no where close to stellar. The team was an offensive team with a mediocre defense until Burfict came back. Just go re-watch the games, or at least look at the score board.

I have seen each game multiple times, and what you are missing when you go only by the stats is the fact that in games like Week 1 at Oakland, the defense gave up absolutely nothing until the Bengals were up by 26 and then either prevent or human nature kicked in and they gave up some yards and some points.  

That was the case in a number of those early games.  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 04:25 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yep, and it's pretty impressive to make the list as a rookie. There's not too many defensive rookies on that list.

They also had Robert Quinn in the top 10 a year ago. 
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 05:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They also had Robert Quinn in the top 10 a year ago. 

He's been in the league since 2011... what's your point?
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 05:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have seen each game multiple times, and what you are missing when you go only by the stats is the fact that in games like Week 1 at Oakland, the defense gave up absolutely nothing until the Bengals were up by 26 and then either prevent or human nature kicked in and they gave up some yards and some points.  

That was the case in a number of those early games.  

Carr was hurt week 1, and week 2 and 3 we were close to losing, week 4 we gave up a billion yards and 7 scores, week 5 we couldn't stop the run to save our lives and let the Seahawks score 14 points in the 3rd letting them take a huge lead, and we played good against the Bills. So, in all of those weeks we played good against the Raiders w/o their starting QB and the Bills w/o their starting QB.... I rest my case.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2016, 08:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What I really like is that it reduces their ability to have their rotation at that position.  By the fourth quarter of the first game of the season, they will be sucking wind.  I hope the Bengals attack early through the air, and then grind down the Jets with the run.  

I loved the game plan two years ago where Marvin Jones went off:  a lot of quick screens that got him in space and forced the big men to chase.  

That was in 2013, week 8.  Bengals won 49 to 9 and Marvin Jones had four touch downs.  I really enjoyed that game.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 07:27 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: That was in 2013, week 8.  Bengals won 49 to 9 and Marvin Jones had four touch downs.  I really enjoyed that game.

I remember fighting off a hellacious toothache with alcohol that day. I was so drunk I couldn't follow the game, but every time I would look up, the Bengals were scoring. I ended up in the er about midnight that night and had it pulled the next morning... good times.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 06:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Carr was hurt week 1, and week 2 and 3 we were close to losing, week 4 we gave up a billion yards and 7 scores, week 5 we couldn't stop the run to save our lives and let the Seahawks score 14 points in the 3rd letting them take a huge lead, and we played good against the Bills. So, in all of those weeks we played good against the Raiders w/o their starting QB and the Bills w/o their starting QB.... I rest my case.
I agree. I love Geno. Dunlap is my favorite Bengal, but the D is different with Burfict. Thomas Rawls wouldn't have run rampant if Vontaze played that day. They just play better when he's out there. I don't need stats. My eyeballs tell me.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2016, 03:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You keep bringing up the fact that Donald didn't play well against our OL. That literally means nothing. At the end of the year Donald had better stats than Atkins. Players have bad games, that doesn't mean that they're bad. Plus you act like Atkins has never had a bad game. How am I not being objective if I'm looking straight at the stat sheet and Donald has better stats almost across the board?

When Geno is 100% he doesn't have a bad game.

The weak link of our entire team is our Center and he made Donald disappear.

If that means nothing to you i don't know what say other than you are the one not being objective.

Donald is a damn good DT but i believe Atkins is better but that is my opinion.

How many snaps did Donald play compared to Atkins is my question, that should tell us in the end who had a better year.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 12:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When Geno is 100% he doesn't have a bad game.

The weak link of our entire team is our Center and he made Donald disappear.

If that means nothing to you i don't know what say other than you are the one not being objective.

Donald is a damn good DT but i believe Atkins is better but that is my opinion.

How many snaps did Donald play compared to Atkins is my question, that should tell us in the end who had a better year.

Lol, you think Bodine was the only one on Donald? They double teamed him that whole game.

Donald is able to play a higher % of snaps, which is another positive over Atkins. Donald has more stamina, probably due to Atkins having sickle cell anemia.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2016, 02:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw this published...one less pass rushing threat to worry about for the opener!

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/6/30/11790014/sheldon-richardson-jets-suspension-week-1

Quote:Richardson, 25, pleaded guilty in January to resisting arrest stemming from a dangerous road race incident last July. He was initially arrested last summer in Missouri after being clocked driving at speeds up to 143 mph while racing another car and attempting to evade cops. Police also reportedly smelled marijuana and found a couple of loaded guns under the floor mats when they finally pulled him over.

So sorry to hear about his meeting with the commissioner's gavel.

I guess laying out AB was three times as bad.

Reply/Quote