Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name a movie that should not have had a sequel
(06-10-2015, 08:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No, but they were still good movies that can hold their own.  Kinda like the Jurassic Park franchise.  The 2nd movie was still really good, and the 3rd one watchable, but neither could carry the torch of the original.

If memory serves, Lost World was a big rift between Spielberg and Crichton. 
Spielberg added this whole overtone of environmentalism and shit like that. 

He failed to "meld" characters like he did in the first Jurassic Park as well. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 08:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: !!!  Shocked !!!

Yeah I saw that movie in the theater and thought it sucked.  Cliché scenarios and way over the top dumbass action scenes.

Not as good as the first by a mile.

Hey it's just my opinion.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 08:03 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No, but they were still good movies that can hold their own. Kinda like the Jurassic Park franchise. The 2nd movie was still really good, and the 3rd one watchable, but neither could carry the torch of the original.

We're gonna have to disagree on this, JC. They just seemed labored and unfunny. Will agree they pailed next to the original.

Never watched the dinosaur movies. I know, I know, they're classics. Just seemed like kid stuff to me. Any time I discuss movies with anyone 30-35 they rave about those. And, I get it, it must have looked really cool to a 10 year old. Maybe I'll watch them someday. My kids give me all manner of crap for having missed them, so maybe I just need to buckle down and watch them. Good movies are where you find them and such.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 03:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was a sequel to Airplane?

Came out a couple of years after the original.  Set in the future and aboard a space shuttle.  Featured William Shatner and Sonny Bonno, in addition to some holdovers from the first movie.  If the first movie was about half as good as it was, this might have been kind of a mediocre follow-up.  Too bad for the sequel that the original reinvented the wheel. 

Was discussing this topic just now with with Mrs. Llama and she suggested Grease 2.  I've seen the original but cannot attest to the accuracy of her opinion on the sequel and therefore take no responsibility for it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:16 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: We're gonna have to disagree on this, JC.  They just seemed labored and unfunny.  Will agree they pailed next to the original.  

Never watched the dinosaur movies.  I know, I know, they're classics.  Just seemed like kid stuff to me.  Any time I discuss movies with anyone 30-35 they rave about those.  And, I get it, it must have looked really cool to a 10 year old.  Maybe I'll watch them someday.  My kids give me all manner of crap for having missed them, so maybe I just need to buckle down and watch them.  Good movies are where you find them and such.

Dude....you haven't seen Jurassic Park?  I'm gonna have to agree with your kids.  You're missing out.  At least go watch the first one.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 12:15 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Dude....you haven't seen Jurassic Park?  I'm gonna have to agree with your kids.  You're missing out.  At least go watch the first one.

He's not to be trusted...
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 12:35 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I disagree. Silly movies like "Sharknado" are tailor-made for sequels:  add better b-list cameos and more ridiculously absurd situations and you have a franchise.  Expectations are low from the start so it isn't like you can really disappoint.

On the contrary, I hate when they take a perfectly good movie and ruin it by introducing a lame sequel.  Jaws 2 and The Godfather part 3 come to mind.    

The problem was it was trying too hard to be funny. The movie is ridiculous on its own, but when you add your own part of comedy to make it too ridiculous on top of the ridiculousness, it isn't funny. Batting a shark into a scoreboard? Nah. It had a feel of a comedy, not a b movie. That's the problem
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 03:03 AM)eoxyod Wrote: The problem was it was trying too hard to be funny. The movie is ridiculous on its own, but when you add your own part of comedy to make it too ridiculous on top of the ridiculousness, it isn't funny. Batting a shark into a scoreboard? Nah. It had a feel of a comedy, not a b movie. That's the problem

A B-movie should be serious but self-humiliating at the same time. It can't have intentional humor. Then it's just bad comedy
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 07:00 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Back to the Future.  II and II just did not meet the magic that was the first movie.

So youre saying nothing compares to the magic of your own mom wanting to bang you?
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 12:15 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Dude....you haven't seen Jurassic Park?  I'm gonna have to agree with your kids.  You're missing out.  At least go watch the first one.

It's often shown at the Creation Museum as proof that human and dinosaurs existed at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Predator 2
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 03:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was a sequel to Airplane?

Airplane II.
Reply/Quote
Oh and I thought all the American Pie sequels were pretty bad.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 01:03 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: "Godfather 3"

1 and 2 were fine.

Godfather II incorporated a lot of the book.  The novel is pretty extensive on Vito before he becomes the Godfather and Michael in Italy.  The surprising thing is how much of the book is dedicated to Johnny Fontane.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 11:17 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Godfather II incorporated a lot of the book.  The novel is pretty extensive on Vito before he becomes the Godfather and Michael in Italy.  The surprising thing is how much of the book is dedicated to Johnny Fontane.  

Johnny Fontane = Frank Sinatra (sorta)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 12:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But Rocky 4 is the best Rocky....

No.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 10:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: What.... then we never would get to see him win lol

The perfect examples i can think of  (where the sequel was terrible)

The Feast

Never Ending Story.

(06-10-2015, 03:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: All three movies of the Indiana Jones movies are good.
The 4th sucked hard. 
But the first three could all stand alone 

Yeah, maybe there should be a second category: "Great movies where the sequels were not as good, but still watchable".

I would put most of the Indiana Jones movies in that category. And, reconsidering, I would put some of the Rocky sequels in that category.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 11:51 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Johnny Fontane = Frank Sinatra (sorta)

yup.....and apparently, according to Al Martino, he got the roll of johnny fontane because of his connections with the bruno crime family.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 11:55 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: No.

Yes!
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Usually the "2nd" movies are more of a fun ride on the coattails of the first.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote