Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nearly $70 million under the Cap has produced this underwhelming free agency period?
I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there. You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous. For that little savings? Good luck having Moss stay healthy. I'm assuming Chase Brown is going to get a healthy bulk of the work. Mixon was a workhorse, one of the emotional leaders of this team and very dependable and consistent.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there.    You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Giants need a number 1 and have plenty of 2's trade him there for a 2nd and take back Darius Slayton who is only owed like 7-8 million this year.....700 yards 4 out of the last 5 seasons with a shitty QB.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to judge until its over, but they are sitting there with about 50 million in cap space, significant holes still, and a lot of the top guys already picked over...

It's hard not to question what the hell they are doing. I'd say keep the faith, but this FO has had some blunders of late. Nick Scott, Irv Smith, some suspect drafts...

I hope they know what they are doing.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:30 PM)pulses Wrote: The Giants need a number 1 and have plenty of 2's trade him there for a 2nd and take back Darius Slayton who is only owed like 7-8 million this year.....700 yards 4 out of the last 5 seasons with a shitty QB.

If you can get that for Higgins at this point,  that would be a minor miracle. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there. You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous. For that little savings? Good luck having Moss stay healthy. I'm assuming Chase Brown is going to get a healthy bulk of the work. Mixon was a workhorse, one of the emotional leaders of this team and very dependable and consistent.

I feel your pain. LOL just this second I was listening to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network and he said I’m through predicting the Bengals. So far they’ve made very shrewd moves from a bargain standpoint. I’ve seen numerous positive comments about Gasecki & Stone. Moss saved us with Mixon. He’s a better fit paired with Chase Brown than Mixon. They’d better do something about stopping the running game. If D J Reader isn’t re-signed plus find a good stop gap replacement early while he’s getting 100% we are destined for another slow start and hole.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
How dare you? Troll! Negative Nancy! How dare you question this flawless organization?
Look out for Nathan or whatever his name is coming in here and setting you straight
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'm not going to judge until its over, but they are sitting there with about 50 million in cap space, significant holes still, and a lot of the top guys already picked over...

It's hard not to question what the hell they are doing. I'd say keep the faith, but this FO has had some blunders of late. Nick Scott, Irv Smith, some suspect drafts...

I hope they know what they are doing.

There have definitely been some duds with the bargain bin FAs in Smith and Scott.
But they also got some great value in other signings/trades - Hurst, BJ Hill, Ogunjobi to name a few.
They also nailed some of their higher priced signings in Reader and Hendrickson a few years ago.

I'm hoping they assessed the look of this RT class in FA and the draft, making determination that this draft class looks pretty good and they don't have to just sign some rando to start.
DT is a different story though, and my worry is they basically are putting all their chips into Reader coming back and/or hoping they can draft Sweat, neither of which may happen. Or if Sweat is the plan, do they reach for him and take him 18 when he's more in the 30's range at best.

I'd feel a bit more comfortable though if Tupou re-signed as a stopgap/backup, if anything.
He's been steadily ok-not-terrible for the past few years and logging ~300-400 reps each season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sigh... every year, people act like FA is over in the first couple of days.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sigh... every year, people act like FA is over in the first couple of days.

Yeah, it's kinda like an annual ritual. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there.    You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous.   For that little savings?   Good luck having Moss stay healthy.     I'm assuming Chase Brown is going to get a healthy bulk of the work.  Mixon was a workhorse, one of the emotional leaders of this team and very dependable and consistent.

We signed Higgins, that ate up almost 22 million in 2024. 

Mixon cut and Moss addition netted us additional cap money.

We had no TE on the roster, we signed Sample and Gesicki for team friendly deals. 

We signed back our back up RB Williams and ST star Davis - Gaither

We upgraded Geno Stone from Scott

What would you have done differently on day 1 of FA?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:08 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yeah, it's kinda like an annual ritual. 

Most fans want to see FA period like what HOU is doing this year, or how PHI has been the past 1-2 years.
But the teams that get the luxury of doing that are typically working with a QB on a rookie contract and can afford to pay guys at other positions.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
They may not get top of the line quality, but they can still get some quantity. We still have Rankins and Tartt out there as well as Armstead.

I feel like Reader is a big risk in their eyes and they should have more info than anyone about his health. He's not coming back at a discount. It's not a great situation when you want to improve vs the run.
Reply/Quote
Tart/Rankins plus some draft picks should be ok for 1 year with hopefully the draft picks starting the next season. BUt they have to do something SOON on the DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We signed Higgins, that ate up almost 22 million in 2024. 

We had no TE on the roster, we signed Sample and Gesicki for team friendly deals. 

Well, for starters, and with the cap room we have and draw of competing? Go after the best fit at RT and interior DL. That seems pretty obvious to me. The best ones are now gone.
Personally, I would be looking for a trade for Tee. That’s a lot of money for someone who doesn’t want to be here and there are plenty of routes to replacing him.
I would look for an upgrade at guard as well.
Stone is a solid signing and probably makes our defense a little more structurally sound but less athletic. There is also the chance he’s another Noc Scott. 7th round 1 year wonder protected by an elite defense and scheme.
Gesicki can not be your starter at tight end and neither can Sample. Depth moves and the Gesicki signing is a lot like the Irv Smith signing. A talented guy who has flashed but was injured and bad the year beifre.
I’m fine with the Mixon to Miss move even though there were probably 5 other backs I preferred even at what they signed for.
I’d hate to spend anymore on a secondary that is full of high draft picks over the last 3 years. That would be admitting failure and changing direction, sinking assets into something twice.
I think we need better linebacking play as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sigh... every year, people act like FA is over in the first couple of days.

Yep, if we don't sign a top 10 ranked FA, many negative Nancy's start with the gloom and doom. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There have definitely been some duds with the bargain bin FAs in Smith and Scott.
But they also got some great value in other signings/trades - Hurst, BJ Hill, Ogunjobi to name a few.
They also nailed some of their higher priced signings in Reader and Hendrickson a few years ago.

I'm hoping they assessed the look of this RT class in FA and the draft, making determination that this draft class looks pretty good and they don't have to just sign some rando to start.
DT is a different story though, and my worry is they basically are putting all their chips into Reader coming back and/or hoping they can draft Sweat, neither of which may happen. Or if Sweat is the plan, do they reach for him and take him 18 when he's more in the 30's range at best.

I'd feel a bit more comfortable though if Tupou re-signed as a stopgap/backup, if anything.
He's been steadily ok-not-terrible for the past few years and logging ~300-400 reps each season.

Not a big rush and still a 10 or 15 good offensive tackles unsigned, right? Maybe they're just waiting for the dust to settle and don't want to overpay for a player, which isn't them being cheap but just trying to be smart because no other teams have jumped on them, either.

And they're playing it smart with Reader by not overpaying him coming off injury and letting him test the market. I do agree that they need to get a DT soon.

I'm definitely not panicking yet and glad we're not overpaying for anyone and making any quick decisions.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:22 PM)CottonHill Wrote: Well, for starters, and with the cap room we have and draw of competing? Go after the best fit at RT and interior DL. That seems pretty obvious to me. The best ones are now gone.
Personally, I would be looking for a trade for Tee. That’s a lot of money for someone who doesn’t want to be here and there are plenty of routes to replacing him.
I would look for an upgrade at guard as well.
Stone is a solid signing and probably makes our defense a little more structurally sound but less athletic. There is also the chance he’s another Noc Scott. 7th round 1 year wonder protected by an elite defense and scheme.
Gesicki can not be your starter at tight end and neither can Sample. Depth moves and the Gesicki signing is a lot like the Irv Smith signing. A talented guy who has flashed but was injured and bad the year beifre.
I’m fine with the Mixon to Miss move even though there were probably 5 other backs I preferred even at what they signed for.
I’d hate to spend anymore on a secondary that is full of high draft picks over the last 3 years. That would be admitting failure and changing direction, sinking assets into something twice.
I think we need better linebacking play as well.

Which RT's and DT's would you have signed from the available free agents that did not stay with their current team?

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We signed Higgins, that ate up almost 22 million in 2024. 

I’m with you except DT & Corner and maybe RT. What if our rookie first round RT starts slow.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Which RT's and DT's would you have signed from the available free agents that did not stay with their current team?

RT
Jermaine Eluemunor 2yr/$14m

NT
Bilal Nichols 3yr/$21m

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: RT
Jermaine Eluemunor 2yr/$14m

NT
Bilal Nichols 3yr/$21m

Those two would have been the perfect "not breaking the bank" signings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote