Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nervous? Not Joe
(08-18-2020, 04:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No, you haven't heard that. Just quit it Fred with this crap.  Whatever

It does get old....
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 08:04 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my apology.. i have read too many Burrow "walk on water" posts before the guy ever throws a NFL pass... obviously i want him to succeed but can be a bit over the top...

No worries.  Looks like we're on the same page. 
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't the defense be ahead of the offense at this point? I don't know what happened today, but a I sense some nervousness from some of you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 04:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have heard that receivers don't really have any effect on Burrow's production.  If a receiver can't get any separation  Burrow just "throws them open".  And he doesn't need an O-line because he can escape any pressure and throw dimes on the run.

I definitely also heard this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 06:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Trolling, trolling, trolling

(08-18-2020, 08:22 PM)Tony Wrote: It does get old....

Look, you guys can take as menay personal shots at me as you want, but it is clear from multiple post from multiple other members that some of you have gone over the top on how great Joe is before he ever throws an NFL pass.

It is lame to accuse someone of trolling just because you get called out on this stuff.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Look, you guys can take as menay personal shots at me as you want, but it is clear from multiple post from multiple other members that some of you have gone over the top on how great Joe is before he ever throws an NFL pass.

It is lame to accuse someone of trolling just because you get called out on this stuff.

It’s August, people don’t want to hear your menay buzzkill posts before the season. It’s the season of optimism hooray!
Reply/Quote
Kid has a set on him that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
Fred’s not a troll, he’s a contrarian. Get it right.

As far as hyping Burrow to the extreme? What do people expect? Kid had the best college season of all time for a QB. And I don’t see people on here saying he’s going to win the Super Bowl and be an MVP his rookie season.

And the narrative that some here think he doesn’t even need an OL is just false. Literally everyone here wants the OL upgraded. Especially at RT (except Fred and the negative Jesus guy that wants a Bobby Hart jersey).

Joe himself certainly knows how important the OL will be. I loved his comments about how nice their Xmas gifts are going to be. He’s a smart young man.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah but Ross still isn't nearly as good as AJ even when healthy yet...

Still changes coverage for the other receivers...
Reply/Quote
I think this franchise has been starved for a QB that truly embraces the position
And makes it the number 1 priority in his life.
The biggest difference I see in JB and AD is that with JB fans coaches players etc
Expect greatness out of JB and with AD it was hope
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 12:50 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think this franchise has been starved for a QB that truly embraces the position
And makes it the number 1 priority in his life.
The biggest difference I see in JB and AD is that with JB fans coaches players etc
Expect greatness out of JB and with AD it was hope

We've actually been pretty solid at QB for a while now, and if Burrow is as advertised we are looking at 25+ years with 3 QBs for the most part.

We are quite a ways off from Bears or Browns territory on this one.  But I realize part of getting hyped for the new guy is downplaying the prior guys. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s August, people don’t want to hear your menay buzzkill posts before the season. It’s the season of optimism hooray!

Thats right, no reason to be a negative nancy before the season even starts...

I don't know how anyone that is a Bengals fan would not be excited about Burrow after the season he just had.

(08-19-2020, 10:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fred’s not a troll, he’s a contrarian. Get it right.

As far as hyping Burrow to the extreme? What do people expect? Kid had the best college season of all time for a QB. And I don’t see people on here saying he’s going to win the Super Bowl and be an MVP his rookie season.

And the narrative that some here think he doesn’t even need an OL is just false. Literally everyone here wants the OL upgraded. Especially at RT (except Fred and the negative Jesus guy that wants a Bobby Hart jersey).

Joe himself certainly knows how important the OL will be. I loved his comments about how nice their Xmas gifts are going to be. He’s a smart young man.

True that, Burrow will need help from the O-line and his Receivers. No one is saying he can magically do it all like Fred said 
he heard. That is a bunch of BS, I sure have never heard that. A bad O-line can destroy any QB, doesn't matter who he is.

(08-19-2020, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Still changes coverage for the other receivers...

True, just saying that AJ's presence is needed big time. More than Ross even.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thats right, no reason to be a negative nancy before the season even starts...

I don't know how anyone that is a Bengals fan would not be excited about Burrow after the season he just had.

True that, Burrow will need help from the O-line and his Receivers. No one is saying he can magically do it all like Fred said 
he heard. That is a bunch of BS, I sure have never heard that. A bad O-line can destroy any QB, doesn't matter who he is.

True, just saying that AJ's presence is needed big time. More than Ross even.

This actually gives me an idea for another thread.  I will get killed for it, but want to hear what people think.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 02:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Maybe he should be. Sounds like he had a rough day at practice and made our D look good Ninja

That's what she said  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True that, Burrow will need help from the O-line and his Receivers. No one is saying he can magically do it all like Fred said 

First post here from an LSU fan.  I didn't seen an intro forum, so excuse me if there is somewhere else I need to post before jumping in the water.

I am sure many of us have come here singing praises of Joe, so I won't be that guy.  I'll take an opposite stance.  LSU essentially had 3-4 offensive guys that could have been contributing on NFL rosters on any given Saturday.  Burrow was about as flawless as they come in terms of efficiency within the college game, but he had A LOT of help from WRs who rarely dropped passes and were able to make corners look silly.  His arm strength is obviously a question, and there were a couple of occasions where he underthrew a few receivers and our guys were just more explosive and able to make a play.

That being said, I'm on of the biggest Burrow fans around.  So much so that I may watch more Bengals games than Saints games (been on that wagon since 2000) this year if given the opportunity. I just like to be realistic.  I think he will be just fine, but I am with you.  As a rookie QB, he will definitely need to get some help, and IMO, it will need to be more from his receivers.  He can do what he has to keep a play alive, but if his WRs aren't giving him the help he needs, he will struggle.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:28 AM)odysseus32 Wrote: First post here from an LSU fan.  I didn't seen an intro forum, so excuse me if there is somewhere else I need to post before jumping in the water.

I am sure many of us have come here singing praises of Joe, so I won't be that guy.  I'll take an opposite stance.  LSU essentially had 3-4 offensive guys that could have been contributing on NFL rosters on any given Saturday.  Burrow was about as flawless as they come in terms of efficiency within the college game, but he had A LOT of help from WRs who rarely dropped passes and were able to make corners look silly.  His arm strength is obviously a question, and there were a couple of occasions where he underthrew a few receivers and our guys were just more explosive and able to make a play.

That being said, I'm on of the biggest Burrow fans around.  So much so that I may watch more Bengals games than Saints games (been on that wagon since 2000) this year if given the opportunity. I just like to be realistic.  I think he will be just fine, but I am with you.  As a rookie QB, he will definitely need to get some help, and IMO, it will need to be more from his receivers.  He can do what he has to keep a play alive, but if his WRs aren't giving him the help he needs, he will struggle.

Welcome to the board. Cool

All true, Burrow will need tons of help from his O-line, his Receivers and he will need a running game. He cannot do it all.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 11:28 AM)odysseus32 Wrote: His arm strength is obviously a question,

I don't get this narrative. No, Burrow doesn't have a cannon, but his arm is not "weak" or "questionable". I remember in the game against Trevor Lawrence's team (I don't regularly watch CFB, so I don't remember what team he plays for). It was the 3rd drive in the game. First 2 drives were basically 3-and-outs. It looked like LSU's offense was going to struggle. I believe it was 3rd down and LSU was backed up against their end zone. The ball is snapped. Burrow is almost immediately pressured and is flushed out of the pocket; he rolled to his right, evades a tackler and launches a pass that travels like 40-50 yards in the air and lands perfectly in the hands of his receiver in stride.

That's not the sign of a weak arm. 

That said, welcome to the boards!! Don't forget to have fun while you're here!  ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't get this narrative. No, Burrow doesn't have a cannon, but his arm is not "weak" or "questionable". I remember in the game against Trevor Lawrence's team (I don't regularly watch CFB, so I don't remember what team he plays for). It was the 3rd drive in the game. First 2 drives were basically 3-and-outs. It looked like LSU's offense was going to struggle. I believe it was 3rd down and LSU was backed up against their end zone. The ball is snapped. Burrow is almost immediately pressured and is flushed out of the pocket; he rolled to his right, evades a tackler and launches a pass that travels like 40-50 yards in the air and lands perfectly in the hands of his receiver in stride.

That's not the sign of a weak arm. 

That said, welcome to the boards!! Don't forget to have fun while you're here!  ThumbsUp

That was the National championship game. And you’re right, his arm is definitely not a concern. Dalton’s never was, and I’d say Joe’s is actually a tad better.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 01:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was the National championship game. And you’re right, his arm is definitely not a concern. Dalton’s never was, and I’d say Joe’s is actually a tad better.

Even if it was the same, Joe's pocket awareness fair outshines Dalton's so no matter what Joe has the potential to be a better QB than Dalton and may even prove to be a better QB this season than Dalton.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, Burrow will need tons of help from his O-line, 

Tell that to this guy

(05-05-2020, 09:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, this is where I stopped reading when they started saying how the OL was so great at LSU last year.  

Made me lol.

Burrow had a poor pass blocking OL last year and still did what he did.

(05-06-2020, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, that O-line was not good in pass protection which is why I think Burrow will do just fine here. 

(05-07-2020, 05:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm sure someone already mentioned this in this thread but does it really even matter how great LSU's O-line was? Joe Burrows efficiency increased when he was under pressure and had to scramble...

See, It does not even matter how good the O-line is in front of Burrow.
Reply/Quote