Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Chili sponsor
I'm an outsider from NC, so take this for what it's worth. I've always enjoyed Gold Star when we come to town and I don't think I've ever attended a game at PBS where I didn't get a pack of Coneys. I've been to Skyline a few times and always wish I had gone to Gold Star. Hopefully this move doesn't derail my in-stadium game day experience!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our recent onfield success has boosted Skyline's brand anyways so this makes sense. I don't hate Gold Star and I usually root for the underdog but I also don't think they really are as national a brand as Skyline is at this point.

Reply/Quote
Goldstar is too big of a chain, which means everything is bought in bulk by the cheapest retailer.

I realize Skyline is also bought in bulk but a lot less quantity and the quality is obviously better.

Goldstar is a glorified fast food restaurant.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 02:58 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Goldstar is too big of a chain, which means everything is bought in bulk by the cheapest retailer.

I realize Skyline is also bought in bulk but a lot less quantity and the quality is obviously better.

Goldstar is a glorified fast food restaurant.

Which one came first, and which one is the knock off?

Side nostalgic note: I can remember when Taco Bell's ad slogan was "Run for the Border". Can't see that one being acceptable in this day and age..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 11:38 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote:

Tongue

LOL. The only smiles I get after eating that dreck is when I'm relieving myself on the porcelain throne.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 12:52 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Nope, because they're not the same as Western pasta Wink

lol I don't REFUSE to eat it, I just won't choose to eat it, unless I'm in the mood or if I have no choice.

I'll eat 50 coneys before a way, mainly because I don't eat hot dogs at all and I love 'em, not to mention the chili dog is one of my favourite things to eat, Cincy Chili or traditional chili-wise ThumbsUp

Again, I've eaten so much pasta in my life, I'll only eat it if I choose to: I'm sick of the durum wheat noodle.

Noodles and pasta originated in Asia and Asians consume the most noodles in the world BY FAR. Asians could say the same thing about your "Italian" pasta as you are saying about our "Western" pasta. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
So every time we score a TD will there be giant 5 ways shot up into the sky that explode?
Reply/Quote
Can’t they both be nuked off the face of the planet?

It’s got chocolate and cinnamon in ffs it’s not natural and wastes a perfectly good hot dog LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 03:55 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Can’t they both be nuked off the face of the planet?

It’s got chocolate and cinnamon in ffs it’s not natural and wastes a perfectly good hot dog LOL

Is there such a thing?  Have you ever watched those episodes of "how stuff is made"?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which one came first, and which one is the knock off?

Side nostalgic note:  I can remember when Taco Bell's ad slogan was "Run for the Border".  Can't see that one being acceptable in this day and age..

SKYLINE CAME FIRST!

That settles it that Skyline is the best and IS Cincinnati chili!

Skyline was opened in 1949 and Gold Star wasn't opened until 1965!

Gold Star wasn't even a chili place, it was a burger joint whose chili was outselling their burgers, so they switched to chili! They had no idea what they were doing! That alone should settle the debate!

There's something like a hundred more Skylines than Gold Stars, so the people have spoken!
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is there such a thing?  Have you ever watched those episodes of "how stuff is made"?

Yeah, it's pretty gross.

If I remember correctly, they just take all the leftover parts of a cow that are too disgusting to go in anything else and just put it all in a blender-type deal to mash everything together.

There's a scene in the movie Bad Boys where the witness lady talks about it to Martin Lawrence.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 02:09 PM)wcu Wrote: I'm an outsider from NC, so take this for what it's worth. I've always enjoyed Gold Star when we come to town and I don't think I've ever attended a game at PBS where I didn't get a pack of Coneys. I've been to Skyline a few times and always wish I had gone to Gold Star. Hopefully this move doesn't derail my in-stadium game day experience!

I grew up always preferring Skyline to Gold Star, and I haven't tried Gold Star again in probably 20 years or so.
I know my tastes have changed, so I might end up liking it more now.
Maybe next time I'm in the greater Cincy area, I'll seek out a Gold Star to try it again after all these years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 04:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: SKYLINE CAME FIRST!

That settles it that Skyline is the best and IS Cincinnati chili!

Skyline was opened in 1949 and Gold Star wasn't opened until 1965!

Gold Star wasn't even a chili place, it was a burger joint whose chili was outselling their burgers, so they switched to chili! They had no idea what they were doing! That alone should settle the debate!

There's something like a hundred more Skylines than Gold Stars, so the people have spoken!

With the number of Indiana, Ohio, and northern Kentucky transplants down in the Nashville area along with the fact a lot of people from the Midwest visit Nashville for weekend trips, I bet Skyline would make a killing if they opened a location around here.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 04:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With the number of Indiana, Ohio, and northern Kentucky transplants down in the Nashville area along with the fact a lot of people from the Midwest visit Nashville for weekend trips, I bet Skyline would make a killing if they opened a location around here.

They'd make a killing a lot of places. 

We went to Hilton Head every year growing up and there was always a bunch of families from up here down there so I bet they'd make a killing down there. 

I realize people eat seafood a lot down there but that was always a dinner thing for us and people have to get tired of seafood all the time.
Reply/Quote
If this doesn't cheer you up, you need serious help!

Hilarious

[Image: 342345722_1126737262061657_6948950752020...e=6445B770]
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to be very popular after this but when it comes to Sklyine and Goldstar they are both just okay. Not great and not bad, just a different type of fast food. Whenever I've had people from out of the area visit and they try it they say pretty much the same thing, that it is okay/good but they don't see what the big deal about it is. It certainly isn't some delicacy.

I'll grab a few coneys every now and then if a restaurant is on the way and I'm hungry but I don't make a habit of eating it. I think the important thing here is hopefully the contract with Skyline pays more than the Goldstar one did. More money for those big guaranteed contracts coming up.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2023, 03:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Noodles and pasta originated in Asia and Asians consume the most noodles in the world BY FAR. Asians could say the same thing about your "Italian" pasta as you are saying about our "Western" pasta. 

??? Italian pasta is the exact same as, "Western" pasta: As Europe is in the West, I noted it as such to differentiate. It wasn't a flex or a dig at the US.

And do you really think I don't know that noodles originated in China? lol Not only am I Italian, I've eaten authentic Cantonese and Szechuan Chinese food since I was 3, I was on a cooking competition show in 2021 and I've read Romance of Three Kingdoms, Water Margin and Journey to The West, the latter 2 in the past 6 months: I'm ***WELL*** aware of where the food originated Wink.

Chinese Chow Mein is an egg-based noodle, while Vermicelli is a rice noodle and Korean, "glass," noodles are Mung Bean; "Asian," noodles are quite different than Western Pasta, both in composition and ingredients (with only Chow Mein-style having any wheat flour in them and that's in modern day), as the Ancent Chinese used wheat much less and predominantly used millet as their grain of choice.

I don't know why everyone is getting all defensive LOL I just don't like pasta and if I will eat pasta, I will make it by hand, like either of the varieties I've made below (I'm sick of spaghetti):

[Image: NNrqkH2.png]
[Image: GqgTtuI.png]
[Image: TtWRer8.png]

The first are Trofie, done like how they are in Liguria (where Genova/Cinque Terre/Positano is), more of a dumpling, but it is pasta done in Pesto, with boiled green beans and white potatoes.

The second has become my signature dish, Tortelli di Zucca alla Mantovana (Pumpkin Tortelli, Mantovan Style), which are stuffed with pumpkin and a few other goodies. They're just basically big Tortellini.

The third is Pizzocheri Valtellinese (a type of wide, noodle-esque pasta that is predominantly buckwheat flour), which is cooked with potatoes, Savoy Cabbage and Casera Cheese (a type of cheese from Valtellina, close to Italy's border with Switzerland, via Lombardy).

THESE pastas I will eat and I've made them all by hard, from scratch :)

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This settles it!

[Image: 341531614_1286513581973205_6688567682017...e=644580A5]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The Texan in me hates that this is called chili.

However, I love the culture behind this style of food.

The only time I've had this was at a Bengals/Cowboys tailgate (twice). Was definitely tasty.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Gold Star is not anywhere near as good as Skyline.

And Truck eat a freakin Way man. It's almost mandatory
Reply/Quote