Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coaches generally like to draft a QB...
Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.
Reply/Quote
I think we make Hue the HC and he rings up Carson Palmer, Cody Kessler, and RGIII.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of teams in the playoffs with QB's on rookie deals. IF you can have a cheap QB play well...that really helps the salary structure in investing the money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.

There has been reports if the Bengals go outside the organization for a hire then Dalton is on the block as a potential release in March.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There are a lot of teams in the playoffs with QB's on rookie deals. IF you can have a cheap QB play well...that really helps the salary structure in investing the money elsewhere.

We could draft Drew Lock.  It's so close to Andrew Luck that I think it's a sign.

(12-31-2018, 02:12 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: There has been reports if the Bengals go outside the organization for a hire then Dalton is on the block as a potential release in March.

Trade him to Wroshington Breadskins.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Haskins gets by the Giants
Reply/Quote
Fix on the offense line, Mayfield would not have done what he did this year without the improved Browns line.. we passed on Oline with Ross , I don;t think we pass on a tackle or guard with 11... Dalton will be given a chance with a new head coach and run out his contract before we let him go....
Reply/Quote
I'd advocate taking a QB in the 3rd round like Will Grier.

I'm going OT in the 1st Round.

That said, IF we do draft a QB in the 1st Round...I'm sitting him for a year behind Dalton. Atleast part of the year.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Fix on the offense line, Mayfield would not have done what he did this year without the improved Browns line.. we passed on Oline with Ross , I don;t think we pass on a tackle or guard with 11... Dalton will be given a chance with a new head coach and run out his contract before we let him go....

I think 1 year max. This March his contract allows for a release with no cap implications. He is not well thought of outside Cincinnati
Reply/Quote
I see the Bengals making a coach go one year with Dalton to test the waters. With a better QB class next year anyways it makes more sense to wait rather than force it year 1.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:12 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: There has been reports if the Bengals go outside the organization for a hire then Dalton is on the block as a potential release in March.

I'd venture to say it depends a lot on this. We go system coach in Mikey's comfort zone, Hue, Gruden, Zim, Guenther, Joesph etc. Dalton stays. Mike finally steps out of his box Dalton will be up to be replaced. I'm not against it if it happens.
Reply/Quote
I haven't looked too deeply at the QBs in this class, but it sounds like they're a pretty weak bunch, collectively.

Imagine it'll be similar to 2011, where QBs are overdrafted like crazy due to this lack of depth.

I wonder how Haskins will do in the off season...
Reply/Quote
Disagree here;

- Nagy had Trubisky
- Gase had Tannehill
- McVay had Goff
- McDermott had Taylor
- Reich had Luck
- Vrabel had Mariota
- Patricia had Stafford
- Vance Joseph had Siemien, Osweiler and signed Keenum

etc.

- Wilks got Rosen and he's putrid; that's about it.

Of those guys, only one drafted a QB in the coming years.

Now, half of them just finished year 1, but I strongly doubt any of them will be drafting a QB come May.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Give Dalton another year under a new head coach and test the waters next year. 2020 is looking like a better QB class.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:17 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: I think 1 year max. This March his contract allows for a release with no cap implications. He is not well thought of outside Cincinnati

Dalton will have a job if he is released.  He is considered a mid-tier QB which means he is better than at least a 1/3 of the current QB crop.  The need for a stable veteran to take the reins for a year or so is why people like Jon Kitna and Ryan Fitzpatrick stayed employed for so many years

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:26 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Give Dalton another year under a new head coach and test the waters next year.  2020 is looking like a better QB class.

Agreed.  And spend that year fixing the OLine.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Disagree here;

- Nagy had Trubisky
- Gase had Tannehill
- McVay had Goff
- McDermott had Taylor
- Reich had Luck
- Vrabel had Mariota
- Patricia had Stafford
- Vance Joseph had Siemien, Osweiler and signed Keenum

etc.

- Wilks got Rosen and he's putrid; that's about it.

Of those guys, only one drafted a QB in the coming years.

Now, half of them just finished year 1, but I strongly doubt any of them will be drafting a QB come May.

Yeah, if you don't have a solid QB, it's priority 1, but if you do, it's usually better to focus on shoring up other areas of your roster, especially if you are bringing in new coordinators and installing new schemes.  

Dalton can be upgraded, but this year, we'd be looking at the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board in a weak class.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:27 PM)pally Wrote: Dalton will have a job if he is released.  He is considered a mid-tier QB which means he is better than at least a 1/3 of the current QB crop.  The need for a  stable veteran to take the reins for a year or so is why people like Joe Kitna and Ryan Fitzpatrick stayed employed for so many years

Flacco will be released due to double whammy, 28 million dollar salary and not a starter. Who would trade and pay Flacco this absurd contract? NADA

Dalton would yield multiple draft picks. At a minimum a #1 and #2. Why? He only makes 16 million in 2019 which is less than any QB starter available for hire in the free agent market.

I don't see Dalton going anywhere, but a team like the Jags with a great running game and a great defense could win it all in 2019l with Dalton at QB so yes they would love him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Build the offensive line before getting the rookie QB.
Reply/Quote
Daniel Jones from Duke looks really good. Solid all around quarterback. He will be picked top 10 this draft.
Reply/Quote