Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-19-2019, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to offer the job to all the guys who turned down the request to interview.

Who all turned down interview requests? I'm curious. There is a difference in taking swings at your "top guys" who are already well employed versus guys who are just not interested. He asked some guys like the guy at OSU who literally just got to campus who I don't expect would want to be known as a job hopper. Then there was Dennis Allen who sure he was his Golden Goose and was worth the ask, but who in between turned down interviews?

I am pretty sure there were only the two I mentioned (maybe one other), but maybe I missed some. I know we got denied once or twice by teams. I know we talked to some and nothing ever came of it after. Just not sure this long list of people who turned down the interview exists. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Apparently. I'm going to trust the HC we just hired on this one, you know the guy who has actually talked to them about the plan and what he is looking for that none of us actually know.

My thoughts exactly.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
The question is his he a one gap or 2 gap scheme and is he a single high safety or two deep safety scheme?
As long as we fix the Offensive line and LB core this team should be fine.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great post!

And how many times as Bengals fans in the past have we done that? Ignored guys mediocre coaching pasts and assumed they'd be some great coach here?

It usually never works out like that.

Plus, these guys are all Taylor's friends so they likely won't be fired if they fail.

It's the yearly cycle of forced hope that keeps a lot of us going.

It's especially important this year, considering we finally got the new head coach we've all been wanting.

I get that offering up a less than super positive take isn't going to be popular right now, for that reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's the yearly cycle of forced hope that keeps a lot of us going.

It's especially important this year, considering we finally got the new head coach we've all been wanting.

I get that offering up a less than super positive take isn't going to be popular right now, for that reason.

Agreed. This guy is the definition of settling.

But, when you have upwards of 10 people turn you down/get blocked...that's what happens.

This guy wouldn't be on anyone's Top 3 list to be a DC. Yet...he's our DC now.

So much for having an experienced DC so the rookie coach could focus on the offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. This guy is the definition of settling.

But, when you have upwards of 10 people turn you down/get blocked...that's what happens.

This guy wouldn't be on anyone's Top 3 list to be a DC. Yet...he's our DC now.

So much for having an experienced DC so the rookie coach could focus on the offense.

When did we hire him? Shocked

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not one saying that we have to hire some guy with a name I recognize.  I know there are always young guys that deserve a shot, but there is generally a consensus around the league regarding which young up-and-comers are good candidates for coordinator or head coach positions.  They usually get a few interviews before landing a spot.  Problem is the guys we are talking about have not even gotten a sniff from any other team.  They are all just guys that Zac has worked with before.  He seems to be more interested in being comfortable than hiring guys who might give him a different point of view.

Great take Fred. These are all comfort hires.

Don't mistake the Dolphins and Texas AM teams that Taylor worked with these guys on as some great juggernauts either.

We have assembled an inexperienced coaching staff with mediocre track records.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Taylor is obviously looking for someone who will buy into his plan and philosophy from top to bottom, and he's willing to go with less experience and questionable resumes to do it. Its probably a good thing, really. The X's and O's are definitely a big part of it, but so is creating a winning atmosphere within the organization and everyone being on the same page. Would they have better looking resumes if they coached under McVey, or Bellichunk, or Dabo? Probably so.

What is his philosophy? He's brought in 3-4 guys. 4-3 guys?

It's take whoever will show up for an interview at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's the yearly cycle of forced hope that keeps a lot of us going.

Positive take, negative take, it's all really just guessing and assuming.

Seems like the least popular take is just waiting until a team is on the field and then deciding with some actual data at hand.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: When did we hire him? Shocked

Allegedly going to hire him.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Allegedly going to hire him.

Because allegations, rumors and suppositions are always true.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

And how many times as Bengals fans in the past have we done that? Ignored guys mediocre coaching pasts and assumed they'd be some great coach here?

Plus, these guys are all Taylor's friends so they likely won't be fired if they fail.

While I think you're a little overly dire regarding this situation, I have to admit as Bengals fans we've seen more than our share of the downsides to having coaches that combine weak resumes with steadfast loyalty.

(02-19-2019, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not one saying that we have to hire some guy with a name I recognize.  I know there are always young guys that deserve a shot, but there is generally a consensus around the league regarding which young up-and-comers are good candidates for coordinator or head coach positions.  They usually get a few interviews before landing a spot.  Problem is the guys we are talking about have not even gotten a sniff from any other team.  They are all just guys that Zac has worked with before.  He seems to be more interested in being comfortable than hiring guys who might give him a different point of view.

Yeah, again I'll point out that the Marvin years have made me a bit traumatized, but the idea that we may be headed back to the "comfort over challenge" prospect of coaching could put a damper on our supposed new-look Bengals.  Time will tell.  Still, I'm seeing loyalty and comfort being valued over resume and (eventual?) results.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:23 PM)Au165 Wrote:  Just not sure this long list of people who turned down the interview exists. 

Then why has the coach and team been setting around doing nothing for the past two weeks?

Can they only call one guy per week?  
Reply/Quote

Riiiiiight.  You're my buddy.  Go on and take me down with you.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then why has the coach and team been setting around doing nothing for the past two weeks?

Can they only call one guy per week?  

And you know this how?

Reply/Quote

(02-19-2019, 05:35 PM)McC Wrote: Because allegations, rumors and suppositions are always true.

You guys are right.

He might reject us also.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:26 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The question is his he a one gap or 2 gap scheme and is he a single high safety or two deep safety scheme?
As long as we fix the Offensive line and LB core this team should be fine.

We have to go back to UMMA for those answers.

All we can go by is his toast technique he taught the Giants and Dolphins Db's.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:42 PM)McC Wrote: And you know this how?

Well if we have not even called these guys on the list what else have they been doing?

I would think we would need a coaching staff in place before we move forward with anything else.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys are right.

He might reject us also.

He might.  Let's get one of these crystal ball mind reader guys to weigh in.

Reply/Quote

Well, that's the problem with the world of Twitter.....it's often wrong, very wrong, and there is no ramification for being wrong, not even retractions.

This is the first interview since Grantham that we know of, he hasn't even been interviewed yet, and some nutjob on Twitter has already said the team has "zeroed in on him".  Good grief, how many times have they been wrong so far?  

When we actually hire a guy, that's when I'll offer an opinion on him.  If this whole ordeal has taught me anything at all, it's that I'm glad I don't tweet.  God what misinformation.......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote