Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-19-2019, 04:49 PM)McC Wrote: If JDR is so damn good, how come his buddy Marvin didn't hire him?

Not just Marvin....no one is interested in hiring him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting note Pellisoro says while we have reached out to a lot of people the job has only been offered twice.

Boy, that shoots a lot of speculation down....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Del Rio had to be a perfect fit. Why return when he's still being paid tens of millions by Oakland.

He can be picky.

Now in 2 years when that money runs out, we'll see if he can get a job when he's desperate.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:53 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Boy, that shoots a lot of speculation down....lol.

I think a lot or most of the speculation was on the hands of the media. We were actually just left to discuss it all.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think a lot or most of the speculation was on the hands of the media. We were actually just left to discuss it all.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, and have actively pursued that route in a couple of other threads, it's just not many wanted to hear that. LOL 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Del Rio had to be a perfect fit. Why return when he's still being paid tens of millions by Oakland.

He can be picky.

Now in 2 years when that money runs out, we'll see if he can get a job when he's desperate.

Teams weren't approaching him, atleast if we go by the same standards we use here to make determinations (media reports). He was linked to two teams, one being the Giants who never actually moved on him and us who talked and then passed. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:26 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'm not sure you can make that assumption.  Just because they have a history together does not mean that they don't challenge each other.  For example, I have a friend with whom I have worked at four different companies.  We work very well together, but neither one of us is afraid to tell the other one they are wrong about something.  We always do it respectfully, but we still do it nonetheless.

So perhaps he's brought these coaches in because he knows they absolutely will challenge him, but they will do so in a way that does not create discontent.  Because that's the key.  You could have an assistant that challenges you and bring out the best, or you can have one that undermines you and ruins the chemistry of the team.

Yeah technically none of us know anything either way. That's the optics though. He's hired a lot of guys he worked with at Miami or UC. Guys with weak resumes who otherwise wouldn't be getting looks for such prestigious positions. Think of it this way. If you had a buddy that gave you a job you really weren't qualified for, would you be more likely to go along with his ideas without question?

Not saying that's exactly how it will be, but that's how it looks when you hire a bunch of unqualified buddies.

(02-19-2019, 04:37 PM)samhain Wrote: Is it too late to pick up Marvin's 2019 option and take a mulligan on this?  I'd give the FO credit for trying at least.  

Another half-assed reboot with the remaining nucleus might feel better than Zac Taylor building a team out of the douchebags he used to do coke and go to strip clubs with when they were pretend coordinators in Miami.  This isn't a poker night a coach Turner's where we get together, smoke cigars and talk about what interns we want to harass.  It's the NFL.  

No idea what a Lou Anuramo is, but I'm betting he'll sign for a hell of a lot less than any legit DC candidate in the league.  Guys that never dreamed thy'd have a shot at that kind of job are like that.

I know your being tongue-in-cheek here, but that was Chris Foerster, who was in Miami after Taylor and his crew. 

Just in case anyone is wondering.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Did Aubrey Pleasant end up not being a fit? If we're gonna go inexperienced, I rather go with him. He seems like he's gonna be a prime candidate 2-3 years down the road.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:04 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Did Aubrey Pleasant end up not being a fit? If we're gonna go inexperienced, I rather go with him. He seems like he's gonna be a prime candidate 2-3 years down the road.

Apparently. I'm going to trust the HC we just hired on this one, you know the guy who has actually talked to them about the plan and what he is looking for that none of us actually know.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Apparently. I'm going to trust the HC we just hired on this one, you know the guy who has actually talked to them about the plan and what he is looking for that none of us actually know.

I know. He told me. LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:37 PM)McC Wrote: I think WW nailed it when he said that in the past, even when Marvin was hired to a certain exotent, the whole process was done in relative secrecy and only after the deal was done did the details come out.  This airing it out in public has a lot to do with how this is being perceived.

Yep. I think Marvin had a lot of friends around the NFL and could call guys up and work things out.

Taylor doesn't appear to have that network, unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know. He told me. LOL

Why you holding out on us!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. I think Marvin had a lot of friends around the NFL and could call guys up and work things out.

Taylor doesn't appear to have that network, unfortunately.

I'm sure glad Marvin called up Teryl Austin.  That's a tough act for the next DC to follow up, I'm sure that is the struggle right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The rule changes haven't been so significant that a guy like JDR would be lost. C'mon man. He'd adjust just as other DC's have adjusted. It's not like he's been removed from the game.

2000 Ravens

Ray Lewis: Hall of Fame
Rod Woodson: Hall of Fame
Rob Burnett: 1x pro bowler - 73 career sacks
Mike McCrary: 2x pro bowler - 71 career sacks
Peter Boulware: 4x pro bowler - 70 career sacks
Chris McAlister: 3x pro bowler
Sam Adams: 3x pro bowler
Tony Siragusa: one of the best block eaters in the game
Jamie Sharper: went on to lead the league in tackles with Houston

The Broncos defense was talented, but the 2000 Ravens had one of the best collections of talent in NFL history.

We have a pretty intelligent group of guys on these boards. Not sure why people throw veiled insults about "names" as if our fans here aren't smart enough to know a good candidate from an also-ran. I agree with you on young up and comers. I don't think anyone here would claim Anarumo is an "up and comer" nor is he a proven candidate. He's just another guy that Taylor worked with already. 

We can have faith in Taylor and we can also take a "wait and see" approach to all of these hires, but when I objectively look at some of these hires and their current resumes, it's just not impressive.

Great post!

And how many times as Bengals fans in the past have we done that? Ignored guys mediocre coaching pasts and assumed they'd be some great coach here?

It usually never works out like that.

Plus, these guys are all Taylor's friends so they likely won't be fired if they fail.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boy, that shoots a lot of speculation down....lol.

Quick side note...did you ever catch the NFLN ad, I believe it's for Good Morning Football, where Joe Montana says, "Did he just call me a goat?"  Cracks me up every time I see it.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, these guys are all Taylor's friends so they likely won't be fired if they fail.

There is a far leap from friend to worked with them in the past. Not sure any are friends, but people around here have already starting making crazy assumptions so let's dub this the banana boat crew 2.0!
Reply/Quote
Was the plan Taylor laid out for the FO just “I’m going to reassemble the 2015 Dolphins coaching staff”?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting note Pellisoro says while we have reached out to a lot of people the job has only been offered twice.

Hard to offer the job to all the guys who turned down the request to interview.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: There is a far leap from friend to worked with them in the past. Not sure any are friends, but people around here have already starting making crazy assumptions so let's dub this the banana boat crew 2.0!

Taylor clearly has coached with most of these guys at his last stops.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Was the plan Taylor laid out for the FO just “I’m going to reassemble the 2015 Dolphins coaching staff”?

Haha. I could see MB like 'Genius! We're in!'
Reply/Quote