Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
We only know his resume and some notes referring to him on the internet. At some point we have to trust the new head coach that he knows this man better than we do. He worked with him and must think he's valuable enough as a coach to consider him.
Here is a quote from Zac Taylor on his approach.

“You always have in mind the people that are critical if you ever get an opportunity,” Taylor said. “Over the years you always have a list. It’s not always on paper, necessarily, but you always have an idea. Then when this process unfolds you quickly put five or six names at every position to start with. Never in a particular order. You’re painting a picture of what you want. As this process unfolds and I knew I was going to get this job, I started honing in on it. This person is a good complement to that person and that’s the way we’ve approached things.”

“That’s a big part of it,” Taylor said of coming into the interview process with an idea what his staff could look like. “And it wasn’t as much the people as it was the vision, I think, that we have for each role. The people may change over the course of the process, and it’s important I think to establish a vision for every position and what you’re looking for, how they’re going to influence the team, and then you find the right people that fit that vision.”

Let's try to trust him that he's following this model.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

Well, if it's being reported, then that's the kiss of death and he won't end up being the guy, right?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Taylor didn't see Del Rio as a fit, but this guy is?

Do we know the full story behind that? Did Zac not see Del Rio as a fit, or did Del Rio not find Zac as a fit? It is not a shock that DC's aren't leaving their positions to try their luck with a first time head coach, with NFL quarterback coaching experience.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Taylor didn't see Del Rio as a fit, but this guy is?

You ever interview someone for a position under you that is qualified but they just have different views on how to go about doing something? You don't want to start off a relationship with someone who has fundamentally different views on major working factors. People want names, I get it, but Taylor wants people he can trust and that is fine too. He knows it's his name on the line so I am cool for him sinking or swimming with his guys.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: At this point, I will give the guy a chance. And maybe Landon Collins will follow him here. A man can hope!

I was meh on the Anarumo thought until this. Would love to get Landon Collins.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:24 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: We only know his resume and some notes referring to him on the internet. At some point we have to trust the new head coach that he knows this man better than we do. He worked with him and must think he's valuable enough as a coach to consider him.
Here is a quote from Zac Taylor on his approach.

“You always have in mind the people that are critical if you ever get an opportunity,” Taylor said. “Over the years you always have a list. It’s not always on paper, necessarily, but you always have an idea. Then when this process unfolds you quickly put five or six names at every position to start with. Never in a particular order. You’re painting a picture of what you want. As this process unfolds and I knew I was going to get this job, I started honing in on it. This person is a good complement to that person and that’s the way we’ve approached things.”

“That’s a big part of it,” Taylor said of coming into the interview process with an idea what his staff could look like. “And it wasn’t as much the people as it was the vision, I think, that we have for each role. The people may change over the course of the process, and it’s important I think to establish a vision for every position and what you’re looking for, how they’re going to influence the team, and then you find the right people that fit that vision.”

Let's try to trust him that he's following this model.

Head coaches, and especially assistants are always looking at job openings, and always have names in the drawer for times where they need positions to fill. This is just pure coaching talk, basic knowledge of the profession. What makes a good coach is the connections he has around the league, as well as with all people involved in the sport. As a fan, I am excited for Zac's era to begin, but i am very cautious about going all in on him and his decisions due to his lack of experience in the HC position. I don't believe this hire offers any substantial aid to his model he laid out in the interview when he was hired. 
Reply/Quote

I hear they having a great conversation until Del Rio said, trust me, I'll show you the ropes of being a HC.  I have it all in my diary of how to get fired twice in a row.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: You ever interview someone for a position under you that is qualified but they just have different views on how to go about doing something? You don't want to start off a relationship with someone who has fundamentally different views on major working factors. People want names, I get it, but Taylor wants people he can trust and that is fine too. He knows it's his name on the line so I am cool for him sinking or swimming with his guys.

Yeah, it's about "names". Not the fact that Del Rio has been highly successful while Anarumo has...not.

I just find it funny that the guy Taylor had fundamentally different views with is a highly qualified candidate, while the guy he potentially sees as a fit is yet another guy he worked with in Miami. A guy who hasn't had much success anywhere.

Maybe these are all diamonds in the rough. We'll see soon enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah, it's about "names". Not the fact that Del Rio has been highly successful while Anarumo has...not.

I just find it funny that the guy Taylor had fundamentally different views with is a highly qualified candidate, while the guy he potentially sees as a fit is yet another guy he worked with in Miami. A guy who hasn't had much success anywhere.

Del Rio has had great success at getting his own ass fired.  So there is that.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:43 PM)McC Wrote: Del Rio has had great success at getting his own ass fired.  So there is that.

Exactly what does that have to do with his capabilities as a defensive coordinator? Which is what got him those HC jobs in the first place?

And lets not pretend Del Rio was a massive failure as a HC. He held the Jax job for a decade and did a better job with that lousy Raiders team than anyone in the last 15 years. He's basically Marvin Lewis, but with a playoff win.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what does that have to do with his capabilities as a defensive coordinator? Which is what got him those HC jobs in the first place?

When was the last time he was a DC?  What did offenses look like then?

I see all this poking holes in peoples abilities going on.  Why can't I get in on the fun?

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what does that have to do with his capabilities as a defensive coordinator? Which is what got him those HC jobs in the first place?

still gotta think why none of these other teams with bad defenses having given him a  call either or they want someone that wont jump away at the first chance which could be why del rio didn't work out.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:24 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: “You always have in mind the people that are critical if you ever get an opportunity,” Taylor said. “Over the years you always have a list. It’s not always on paper, necessarily, but you always have an idea. Then when this process unfolds you quickly put five or six names at every position to start with. Never in a particular order. You’re painting a picture of what you want. As this process unfolds and I knew I was going to get this job, I started honing in on it. This person is a good complement to that person and that’s the way we’ve approached things.”

Well he certainly has a good grasp on gobbledygook coach speak.

"First thing you do is get 5 or 6 names.  Then you figure out which person compliments the others.  Then you dump the names of actual people and come up with an imaginary vision because the vision is more important than the names. Then you start looking for names again."

What could possibly go wrong with a plan like that?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah, it's about "names". Not the fact that Del Rio has been highly successful while Anarumo has...not.

If Jack Del Rio is such a superstar why did no one else hire him, or even talk to him as far as reports go? In reality Del Rio had as many defensive coordinator interviews as this guy did and they were both with the same teams....us.....and with the same HC....Taylor.

Makes you wonder if there is something about Del Rio's personality that scares people off.
Reply/Quote

When it comes to Del Rio - if I had to bet my house - I would guess at least part of it was trust / personality. Del Rio has that big dog personality with a very healthy ego to go with it. As a young, first time head coach, you gotta have a guy who buys into to what you're selling...someone who shares your vision and approach. He may have not been comfortable with the idea of Del Rio looking over his shoulder or second guessing him.

Of course, that's all just conjecture on my part, but I think that it had to play a part. When you look at McVay, he was able to go out and get a guy like Wade Phillips, who had a personality that meshed very well with his...which they've both talked about.

As for Anarumo - who I don't know a lot about, if he does get the job, I sure as hell he makes the most of it.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:46 PM)McC Wrote: When was the last time he was a DC?  What did offenses look like then?

I see all this poking holes in peoples abilities going on.  Why can't I get in on the fun?

2012-2014 in Denver (making the Super Bowl one year). Offenses weren't much different then.

Much easier to poke holes in Anarumo's resume than Del Rio's. Lets be honest here. 

(02-19-2019, 03:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: still gotta think why none of these other teams with bad defenses having given him a  call either or they want someone that wont jump away at the first chance which could be why del rio didn't work out.

Of course JDR is looking to get back to the top of his profession. They pretty much all are, and if any coordinator does a great job, they're as good as gone.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:39 PM)McC Wrote: I hear they having a great conversation until Del Rio said, trust me, I'll show you the ropes of being a HC.  I have it all in my diary of how to get fired twice in a row.

If I was a young first-time had coach I would LOVE to hear an experienced coach tell me why he got fired before.

Much better to learn from someone else's mistakes instead of making the same ones myself.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: If Jack Del Rio is such a superstar why did no one else hire him, or even talk to him as far as reports go? In reality Del Rio had as many defensive coordinator interviews as this guy did and they were both with the same teams....us.....and with the same HC....Taylor.

Makes you wonder if there is something about Del Rio's personality that scares people off.

As far as I can remember, only the Giants last year and the Bengals this year, have even bothered to contact/talk to him...and neither led to an serious interview.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly what does that have to do with his capabilities as a defensive coordinator? Which is what got him those HC jobs in the first place?

And lets not pretend Del Rio was a massive failure as a HC. He held the Jax job for a decade and did a better job with that lousy Raiders team than anyone in the last 15 years. He's basically Marvin Lewis, but with a playoff win.

It's not like teams are beating down his door either...Apparently there's an issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2012-2014 in Denver (making the Super Bowl one year). Offenses weren't much different then.

Much easier to poke holes in Anarumo's resume than Del Rio's. Lets be honest here. 

Of course JDR is looking to get back to the top of his profession. They pretty much all are, and if any coordinator does a great job, they're as good as gone.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.   Just the rule changes along since then are highly significant. 

Marvin had one of the best defenses ever in 2000 but his role in that gets constantly diminished by the talent level of that defense.  Couldn't the same be said for that Denver defense?

Reply/Quote