Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-19-2019, 07:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Lou Anarumo's coaching resume is alot better than Aubrey Pleasants.

Longer, sure. Better? 

Rams 2018: 14th in pass yards allowed - 3rd in INT's - 17th in passer rating
Rams 2017: 13th in pass yards allowed - 6th in INT's - 5th in passer rating

Average ranks: 13.5 in pass yards allowed - 4.5 in INT's - 11th in passer rating allowed

Learned under the great Wade Phillips, and was rumored to be an eventual replacement for Phillips
Part of a Super Bowl coaching staff

---------

Giants 2018: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 7th in INT's - 10th in passer rating
Dolphins 2017: 16th in pass yards allowed - 28th in INT's - 28th in passer rating
Dolphins 2016: 15th in pass yards allowed - 9th in INT's - 17th in passer rating
Dolphins 2015: 21st in pass yards allowed - 17th in INT's - 24th in passer rating
Dolphins 2014: 6th in pass yards allowed - 14th in INT's - 18th in passer rating
Dolphins 2013: 16th in pass yards allowed - 10th in INT's - 5th in passer rating
Dolphins 2012: 27th in pass yards allowed - 27th in INT's - 13th in passer rating

Average ranks: 17.7 in pass yards allowed - 16.0 in INT's - 16.4 in passer rating allowed

Learned under Kevin Coyle, Vance Joseph, no great coaches really
His teams made the playoffs once in 7 seasons, where they lost in the Wild Card
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 07:58 PM)McC Wrote: I won't have an opinion until I see his Bengal defense play, if he ends up getting the job.  I feel no need to make a judgment in February. There.  That's my stand on the whole situation. 

The majority of my life was lived before the internet, so I guess I never really developed that right this second with no real information available mentality.  When someone is hired, my reaction will be okay, they hired a guy.  Will he be good or not?  We'll know when we know.  Call me crazy if you will.

Lol we're really not all that far apart. I'm keeping an open mind and won't condemn this coaching staff in February. 

All I'm saying is that I'm less than thrilled with the DC hire...if this turns out to be the guy. Hard to get excited about a guy with that kind of resume. I said the same thing about Teryl Austin and Ken Zampese. That said, just because Shake n Blake or The Pistons aren't excited doesn't mean the guy won't work out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 08:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Longer, sure. Better? 

Rams 2018: 14th in pass yards allowed - 3rd in INT's - 17th in passer rating
Rams 2017: 13th in pass yards allowed - 6th in INT's - 5th in passer rating

Average ranks: 13.5 in pass yards allowed - 4.5 in INT's - 11th in passer rating allowed

Learned under the great Wade Phillips, and was rumored to be an eventual replacement for Phillips
Part of a Super Bowl coaching staff

---------

Giants 2018: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 7th in INT's - 10th in passer rating
Dolphins 2017: 16th in pass yards allowed - 28th in INT's - 28th in passer rating
Dolphins 2016: 15th in pass yards allowed - 9th in INT's - 17th in passer rating
Dolphins 2015: 21st in pass yards allowed - 17th in INT's - 24th in passer rating
Dolphins 2014: 6th in pass yards allowed - 14th in INT's - 18th in passer rating
Dolphins 2013: 16th in pass yards allowed - 10th in INT's - 5th in passer rating
Dolphins 2012: 27th in pass yards allowed - 27th in INT's - 13th in passer rating

Average ranks: 17.7 in pass yards allowed - 16.0 in INT's - 16.4 in passer rating allowed

Learned under Kevin Coyle, Vance Joseph, no great coaches really
His teams made the playoffs once in 7 seasons, where they lost in the Wild Card

I'm sure the entire defense has a say in passing numbers linebackers and pass rush included. Those numbers represent the defense and their defensive coordinators not just one position coach.

One guy has 7 years of experience running his room and the other guy has 2...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 07:58 PM)McC Wrote: The majority of my life was lived before the internet, so I guess I never really developed that right this second with no real information available mentality.  When someone is hired, my reaction will be okay, they hired a guy.  Will he be good or not?  We'll know when we know.  Call me crazy if you will.

But we do have information available.  We can see what these guys have accomplished in the past.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But we do have information available.  We can see what these guys have accomplished in the past.

But you cant tell me what Lou Anarumo's defense will look like because he's never had one. As an interm DC he has to run what was installed already.

Wait and see is the best you can say about Taylor, Not Bill Callahan, and Anarumo (if hired) because as all former position coaches none of them have out their own scheme on tape.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But we do have information available.  We can see what these guys have accomplished in the past.

Aren't you the guy who said a couple hundred times the fact that Marvin had not won a playoff game did not mean he never could?  Well, which is it?  Does the past decide the future or not?

There is zero info available on how well he would coach the Bengals defense.  That's what I'm gonna wait for.  There will be plenty of time for gnashing of teeth and cliff jumping at a later date, if necessary.  Worrying ahead of time, especially about a thing I can't in any way control, is an abject waste of time.  Show me how it helps anything and I'll jump right on the worry train.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 08:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol we're really not all that far apart. I'm keeping an open mind and won't condemn this coaching staff in February. 

All I'm saying is that I'm less than thrilled with the DC hire...if this turns out to be the guy. Hard to get excited about a guy with that kind of resume. I said the same thing about Teryl Austin and Ken Zampese. That said, just because Shake n Blake or The Pistons aren't excited doesn't mean the guy won't work out.

We were on board with Lazor being mediocre early too.

I think a lot of times fans don't look at these guys track record as a predictor of their future. Several of us seem to be able to do this.

Look, I live 50 minutes from Pittsburgh and have a Bengals helmet in my office. I'd love to see the Bengals build a winner. But, I just don't see this revamp as going well so far. Taylor has been mediocre in every stop except the Rams. That said, IF he got the right coordinators, he could succeed. I just don't see him doing that.
Reply/Quote

That seems to be a fact that people conveniently ignore.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We were on board with Lazor being mediocre early too.

I think a lot of times fans don't look at these guys track record as a predictor of their future. Several of us seem to be able to do this.

Look, I live 50 minutes from Pittsburgh and have a Bengals helmet in my office. I'd love to see the Bengals build a winner. But, I just don't see this revamp as going well so far. Taylor has been mediocre in every stop except the Rams. That said, IF he got the right coordinators, he could succeed. I just don't see him doing that.

Well, let's see--roughly six more months before the season starts, roughly six hundred more threads you'll create to say this roughly six thousand more times.  Oh boy.  Six million more Mongols coming over the hill. That should be loadsa fun.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 07:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we would have signed the first DC we were linked to many around here would have called it a lazy hire.

I think we've had a grand total of one person turn us down and that's because he got a raise to stay in sunny FLA where his family is rooted.

I still don't know why we haven't tried Baby Zims.

Sounds very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:06 PM)McC Wrote: Well, let's see--roughly six more months before the season starts, roughly six hundred more threads you'll create to say this roughly six thousand more times.  Oh boy.  Six million more Mongols coming over the hill.  That should be loadsa fun.

Indeed! Unfortunately, I'll never get a 'Hey you were right on Lazor.' Or 'Hey you were right 3 years ago when you said that free agency gutted the roster and we should rebuild.'

Nope. All I'll get is irrational hope for every questionable decision the Bengals make.

Whoever we draft will be projected to be a star. I'll have to listen to talk about how our 7th Round pick should start and will be a star. I'll have to listen to how every draft pick we make will be a starter.

Meanwhile...this team hasn't won a playoff game in 27+ years...

And when we even make the playofffs I have to listen to talk about how other teams are trying to copy our model. And how compensatory picks are gold.

Homers gonna home!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:21 PM)McC Wrote: Aren't you the guy who said a couple hundred times the fact that Marvin had not won a playoff game did not mean he never could?  Well, which is it?  Does the past decide the future or not?

I 100% agree it is not impossible for this group to succeed.  I'd laugh at anyone who said something that silly.

Doesn't change the fact that their track record causes me to have some legitimate concerns.  You may not like the information we have, but you can't say we don't have any.
Reply/Quote
Defensive coordinator is the most important hire for Zach to get right (if he’s hoping to win this year). I was hoping for an innovative guy that could adapt to the modern game. We’ll see. Thats my take. Del Rio seemed like a slam dunk hire to me, but what do I know?
I feel like Zach is on a short leash with fans from the get go, so he better get this offense playing at an elite level in year one. Fix the oline and put something together on offense or he’s a bust in my opinion. Hope he succeeds and we can figure the defense out with the right coach. We’ll see.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:51 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Defensive coordinator is the most important hire for Zach to get right (if he’s hoping to win this year). I was hoping for an innovative guy that could adapt to the modern game. We’ll see. Thats my take. Del Rio seemed like a slam dunk hire to me, but what do I know?
I feel like Zach is on a short leash with fans from the get go, so he better get this offense playing at an elite level in year one. Fix the oline and put something together on offense or he’s a bust in my opinion. Hope he succeeds and we can figure the defense out with the right coach. We’ll see.

Yeah, that's not goofy at all.  Chapionship in year one or fire him, right?

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This guy was DC at U.S. Merchant Marine Academy from 1992–1994.

Anyone know if they ran a 4-3 or 3-4?  Hilarious

92-94?? Weren't those the glory years for the Mighty Merchants?  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree it is not impossible for this group to succeed.  I'd laugh at anyone who said something that silly.

Doesn't change the fact that their track record causes me to have some legitimate concerns.  You may not like the information we have, but you can't say we don't have any.

100% agree Fred. That's how I feel.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 08:59 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm sure the entire defense has a say in passing numbers linebackers and pass rush included. Those numbers represent the defense and their defensive coordinators not just one position coach.

One guy has 7 years of experience running his room and the other guy has 2...

So we can't look at how their teams performed or the most relevant rankings to their position groups.

When you said "resume" you meant "experience", apparently.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 11:27 PM)McC Wrote: Yeah, that's not goofy at all.  Chapionship in year one or fire him, right?

No I'm thinking he is just saying that we better at least be the Kansas City Chiefs this coming year. Top 5 offense. 32nd defense or bust.
Reply/Quote
Dare I say just bring Marvin back as D.C.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree it is not impossible for this group to succeed.  I'd laugh at anyone who said something that silly.

Funny, you had no concerns with Marvin and his track record.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions about ZT and his staff 6 months before his first season.
Reply/Quote