Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Defensive Coordinator Ideas
(01-05-2018, 04:27 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Not jim caldwell, can you imagine him and Marvin on the sidelines? Neither one says a word during the game. They'd prolly be doing sign language with one another.

Nah, those deep thinkers would use telepathy.  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 01:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'll throw in Greg Schiano (DC at Ohio State)

agreed

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Teryl Austin is a solid candidate but he already interviewed to become the Lions’ head coach.  I think it will be offered to him.

Let them have him. Don't understand the Lions wanting him as their HC, wasn't that great of a DC.

(01-04-2018, 11:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There have been plenty. Belichick, Landry, Schottenheimer, Chuck Noll, Parcells, etc etc. 

Only some of the best HCs ever. 

Some of the shit that's said around here, man...

Thought so.

(01-05-2018, 12:20 AM)Okeana Wrote: A guy who should be in consideration is Mike Vrabel.  The guy has all the traits I like to see in a coach and is a guy who could be groomed to be a replace HC of the future.

Good one but wouldn't that be a lateral move for Vrabel? He was being discussed as a HC candidate.

(01-05-2018, 01:02 PM)grampahol Wrote: Not quite sure what Horton has accomplished other than leaving the Browns once and then getting fired by the Browns .. 

Horton was on the Cardinals Defensive staff too and did very well there.

Also has a history here, just seems almost as likely as Del Rio, want Del Rio much more though.

(01-05-2018, 01:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'll throw in Greg Schiano (DC at Ohio State)

Nice, another DC that is not a good HC but is a good DC. Would be all for Schiano.
Reply/Quote
Rex Ryan
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis is here to stay and it’s obvious he wants to bring in better talent via free agency on the field so why not hire big name coaching talent?  For Defensive Coordinator there are three outstanding candidates who happen to be out of work at the moment:

Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano, and my personal favorite, Jack Del Rio.  Jack was Marvin’s linebacker coach for the Ravens when they allowed the least points per game in NFL history in 2000.

I say we kidnap Wade Philips (ala Celtic Pride) and force him to coach our defense under his new name Pade Whilips! Nobody pays attention to Cincy anyway so it would be years before anyone figured it out. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 02:37 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I say we kidnap Wade Philips (ala Celtic Pride) and force him to coach our defense under his new name Pade Whilips! Nobody pays attention to Cincy anyway so it would be years before anyone figured it out. 

Man, haven't seen that movie for a couple decades, classic. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:51 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I bet it's gonna be..........................DC Paulie G

He ain't leaving.

Tiger  Pookie gone.
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
This is gonna sound like a joke, but it's not! How about Rex Ryan? Top-notch pedigree and very good results when his job is coaching defense only. I see Interceptor beat me to this, Dilly Dilly!!!
Reply/Quote
You guys know the first interview will be hired lol I expect it being announced by Monday at the most
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:00 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: This is gonna sound like a joke, but it's not! How about Rex Ryan? Top-notch pedigree and very good results when his job is coaching defense only. I see Interceptor beat me to this, Dilly Dilly!!!

Rex fielded some great defenses in his day but the league might have figured him out.  His defenses in Buffalo were not good.  A lot of that probably had more to do with him making everything all about him and not adapting his schemes to his personnel.  He became his own kind of shit show.

Now, he jokes about it.  I don't know if he'll ever come out of the studio and back into the grind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:57 PM)McC Wrote: Rex fielded some great defenses in his day but the league might have figured him out.  His defenses in Buffalo were not good.  A lot of that probably had more to do with him making everything all about him and not adapting his schemes to his personnel.  He became his own kind of shit show.

Now, he jokes about it.  I don't know if he'll ever come out of the studio and back into the grind.

If Rex returns and stops all that nonsense, he can give our defense attitude and swagger.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Has anyone heard if Vic Fangio has had any interviews? Or is he under contract in Chicago?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 02:45 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Trust me, I'm well aware of Haslett's track record.
As I mentioned above, I'm also aware of Mikey B's track record when it comes to hiring coaches. 
I'd love to bring in JDR or Spags. But I'm not getting my hopes up for someone outside the organization. 
Hopefully, when it comes to the DC, we're all pleasantly surprised like with Paul Alexander finally getting the boot.  :andy:

I figured you were just giving the "Mike Brown" pick. I just wanted an excuse to do some not-so-clever word play there.  Mellow

(01-05-2018, 04:27 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Nati#1Not jim caldwell, can you imagine him and Marvin on the sidelines? Neither one says a word during the game. They'd prolly be doing sign language with one another.

Caldwell makes Marv look charismatic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I want Del Rio
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 09:00 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: This is gonna sound like a joke, but it's not! How about Rex Ryan? Top-notch pedigree and very good results when his job is coaching defense only. I see Interceptor beat me to this, Dilly Dilly!!!

Rex Ryan is a 3-4 guy as is his brother Rob. I don’t see this happening.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:30 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You guys know the first interview will be hired lol I expect it being announced by Monday at the most

We’ll see. I think there will be several interviewees.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We’ll see.  I think there will be several interviewees.

Yes, the Bengals will draw the process out until all of the hot candidates already have secured positions on teams that they meld well with.  
If their 1st choice is Austin, they had better make him a good offer.  Lions have already declined an intradivisional interview with the Packers.  That shows what Detroit thinks of him.  He runs a 3-4, and has a background in the Secondary.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:30 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: You guys know the first interview will be hired lol I expect it being announced by Monday at the most

That was Austin, who has already come and gone (not that he couldn't still be signed)
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:34 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: That was Austin, who has already come and gone (not that he couldn't still be signed)

Has Austin already come and gone?  I've seen nothing posted about a date for the interview.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has Austin already come and gone?  I've seen nothing posted about a date for the interview.

Quote:Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, currently under contract with Detroit, interviewed with the Cincinnati Bengals for their vacant coordinator position late this week

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/5/16855992/oakland-raiders-paul-guenther-baltimore-ravens-james-urban
Reply/Quote