Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
(01-04-2023, 03:39 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Losing players is the same risk whether we played a full game Monday or play it next week.  It sounds to me more like the angle you're wanting here is that the Bengals get a bye week but have to take a potential L.  I just don't think from a league standpoint that's a good option.  In all honesty, the game should have been scheduled within the 2 days or one of the teams should have conceded.  At this point, it's a mess and there are no good options.  

The game wasnt rescheduled so it doesnt matter what should have happended.

If the game is not rescheduled there is no risk of injury for that game.

No one gets a free bye week in my scenario.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The game wasnt rescheduled so it doesnt matter what should have happended.

I get it.  I just think it causes other problems.  There's no easy, clear, fast, simple, fair way for this to move forward.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:39 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Losing players is the same risk whether we played a full game Monday or play it next week.  It sounds to me more like the angle you're wanting here is that the Bengals get a bye week but have to take a potential L.  I just don't think from a league standpoint that's a good option.  In all honesty, the game should have been scheduled within the 2 days or one of the teams should have conceded.  At this point, it's a mess and there are no good options.  

That's the only option that a decisive and less feckless Commissioner would have chosen. Goodell is not decisive and  he's feckless as hell. 

He will probably consult an astrologer to resolve the situation. His own "personal" astrologer, of course.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The game wasnt rescheduled so it doesnt matter what should have happended.

I normally agree with you… however I disagree here.

If we don’t play the game, we can likely do no better than the 3 seed. How is this game not worth playing?

If they do anything else it negatively effects teams that were not on the field when the injury happened. The only solution, without disrupting other teams is to play the game.

Put yourselves in the ravens shoes, imagine that you never have a chance for the North, how is that “fair”?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 01:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ok, so the new theory being talked about on Sirius is they play week 18 as scheduled. Then the following weekend is wildcard weekend, but only for the NFC. The Bengal/Bills is the only AFC game played. The following weekend is AFC Wildcard weekend. Then the playoffs go as scheduled, losing the extra week prior to the SB.

I honestly think that’s what they should do. I’m all on board with that.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: That's the only option that a decisive and less feckless Commissioner would have chosen. Goodell is not decisive and  he's feckless as hell. 

He will probably consult an astrologer to resolve the situation. His own "personal" astrologer, of course.

In his defense he probably has to balance making a decisive decision and the the victim, cancel culture mob blowback.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:59 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I think that ship sailed at this point.  If they didn't/couldn't make a decision to push the Bengals/Bills game back, I can't see them bumping up the next game with a day of notice.  They're either going to go the "no contest" route or schedule the game for next weekend and push the rest of the schedule back (which probably makes the most sense for everyone). 

I agree that ship has sailed at this point in time. I was just saying that was an option he had from the time of the suspension on Mon. night. He was/is not a decisive leader.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:14 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: In his defense he probably has to balance making a decisive decision and the the victim, cancel culture mob blowback.

I totally get the balance aspect.  And I get not going all out with a decision that night.  It wasn't the priority, it would have come across (and honestly been) insensitive.  But unless he's going to cancel the remainder of the season, a statement should have been ready for the next morning on the plan.  It's a position he never expected to be put into, but that's what his role is supposed to be and why he gets paid.  Make the difficult decision and take this forward.  

The most ludicrous aspect of this whole thing to me is that we're 2 days removed and it's the fans and media that are coming up with scenarios on how this should be fixed.  The league is failing big time with how they're handling this. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: That's the only option that a decisive and less feckless Commissioner would have chosen. Goodell is not decisive and  he's feckless as hell. 

You do know he works for the owners right? He will do what the majority of the owners tell him to do. You act like he's some dictator, he's not. He's a figurehead for the league to take lumps for the owners. He gets paid well to do it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:31 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I totally get the balance aspect.  And I get not going all out with a decision that night.  It wasn't the priority, it would have come across (and honestly been) insensitive.  But unless he's going to cancel the remainder of the season, a statement should have been ready for the next morning on the plan.  It's a position he never expected to be put into, but that's what his role is supposed to be and why he gets paid.  Make the difficult decision and take this forward.  

The most ludicrous aspect of this whole thing to me is that we're 2 days removed and it's the fans and media that are coming up with scenarios on how this should be fixed.  The league is failing big time with how they're handling this. 

Could not agree more. I don't understand how it's disrespectful to the Hamlin family to simply announce a resolution to the scheduling of games.  We are obviously all praying and rooting for Damar to make a full and speedy recovery, so why is it bad form to simply set the schedule and make a decision on how this rescheduling or canceling of the MNF game will be handled? The way to show respect would be for Roger Goodell to actually stand in front of a camera and make a statement and announce these decisions.  It's ludicrous already.  
Reply/Quote
Throughout the Covid season they moved games around at will. Games were played on Wednesdays, weird times on Mondays etc. Not a single game was forfeited or declared no contest when we probably all would’ve been OK with it given the landscape. I know this is different because it wasn’t moved in advance, but they shouldn’t have a problem finding a way to get this game to finish in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:31 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I totally get the balance aspect.  And I get not going all out with a decision that night.  It wasn't the priority, it would have come across (and honestly been) insensitive.  But unless he's going to cancel the remainder of the season, a statement should have been ready for the next morning on the plan.  It's a position he never expected to be put into, but that's what his role is supposed to be and why he gets paid.  Make the difficult decision and take this forward.  

I completely agree.
Reply/Quote

I agree.  It is the refusal to make a timely, yet difficult, decision that is making things worse.  Almost a quarter of the league can't even begin to move on because they don't even know what is needed to secure what they need to secure.     
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why are you all so weirded out about the random number option?  It only impacts the Chiefs which is the only team that would be impacted by the Bills Bengals game.  It is logical, zero logistics required, prevents further injuries and keeps the playoff schedule.  

The only other easier way is for the Bills to forfeit the Bengals game.

Same reason that some (many?) don't like the lottery system for draft picks - They don't like the decision to come down to random chance.

Also, you say only the Chiefs are impacted by the Bengals-Bills game, but the Ravens are impacted as well actually.
If the Bengals beat the Bills, they win the division regardless of the outcome of the Ravens game.
But if the Bills win, the Ravens have a chance to take the division by beating the Bengals.
So the decision of this game impacts more than just the 1-3 seeding.

The decision about whether to play or forfeit should come from the Bills and/or Bengals. That way, they own the outcome of what happens with the seeding.
If neither team chooses to forfeit, the NFL needs to find a way to adjust the postseason schedule to accommodate this game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:51 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Goodell has the authority to move the Bengals/Ravens and Bills/Pats games to Thurs or Friday of this week  and then Bengals/ Bills on Tuesday.

This seems preferable to using random numbers, tarot cards, or Magic 8 balls and completely wiping out an already in-progress game with the Bengals up four and driving in Bills' terrtory.

Again, let me ask  :

Who among you fully trusts Roger Goodell's "random" numbers?

Today is Wednesday. So he’s gonna call Baltimore and Ne and say, hey you’re playing tomorrow, not Sunday, that’s cool right? That’s not happening
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think that is a terrible idea.  Bills lost 2 starters in the 1st Quarter - so lets risk our starters to injury in a game that didnt need to be played and then our 1st playoff opponent also has 2 weeks to get healthy prepare for us.  You guys make zero sense with this, the number thing is the easiest and best opportunity for our team.

How is playing the Bills again better?

Because I’m the bills are part of our 17 game schedule. It does need to be played. If this didn’t happen, they wouldn’t skip the game.
Reply/Quote
If the NFL goes with a random "luck of the draw" type of plan for cleaning up this mess, then I think thats a total cop out. That way they can supposedly solve this problem while not being held liable in any way because they didnt make the final call
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:45 PM)Jeaux Smooth Wrote: Throughout the Covid season they moved games around at will. Games were played on Wednesdays, weird  times on Mondays etc. Not a single game was forfeited or declared no contest when we probably all would’ve been OK with it given the landscape. I know this is different because it wasn’t moved in advance, but they shouldn’t have a problem finding a way to get this game to finish in my opinion.

This was a bit easier to do with limited to no fans in attendance. 

Bills vs Bengals was sold out with standing room only tickets. Could just refund the tickets I guess, but still a logistical nightmare
Reply/Quote
there is no options left that will be fair to all teams...
Reply/Quote
It’s too bad that burrow could have cemented the mvp this game and we could have all but claimed the 2 seed or 1 seed if chiefs lose. Definitely a bengals way to miss out on something. Makes us deserve the super bowl win that much more.
Reply/Quote