Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
(01-04-2023, 07:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now they are talking about postponing the Bills/Pats game....

They are making this (very serious situation I know) more than it needs to be especially with reports of him improving.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/troy-vincent-doesnt-rule-out-postponement-of-patriots-bills-game/

They need to stop acting like these players (many of which came from tough environments and experienced death - even tho, thankfully, we aren't talking about a death).

But let's talk about a death....

Clipped from a comment in the comment section:
In 2009 Chris Henry died on December 17th, the Bengals played the chargers in LA on the 20th went to Chris’s funeral on the 22nd in New Orleans and played Kansas City at Paul Brown stadium on December 27th.

The league didn't care this much about the Bengals Coaches/Players/Owners emotional state, which they took hard and he actually did die....

This is starting to reach ridiculous levels.....................If the Bills can't go against the Pats for emotional reasons then they should just forfeit both games.  I'm trying really hard to be somewhat understanding, but this is just straight ridiculous at this point.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There is no scenario that does not negatively impact a team.

Everyone that really wants to play this Bills game, consider the chance of a huge, or multiple, injuries preventing us from our goal.

I would rather not play the game and take the L, beat the Ravens, win the AFCN and stay at the 3 seed, then risk losing Chase or Reader again.  The Bills lost 2 players in 8 minutes.

Call me scared or whatever, I'm just saying I want my entire team for the playoffs.  And I do not want our 1st playoff opponent to have 2 weeks to prepare.
Thus I prefer any solution that gives us a chance to better our seed position without having to replay that game.

And yes I know we risk injuries every game, but if a game doesn't have to be played that is 100% no injuries.

I wouldn't mind a healthy team and the three seed at all, just so long as LAC isn't the 6th seed.  (That team scares me more than any other in the conference.)  This would mean that we would have to beat Baltimore down to that position this Sunday.  From what Burrow said at his press conference, that is what the team intends to do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:33 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: This is starting to reach ridiculous levels.....................If the Bills can't go against the Pats for emotional reasons then they should just forfeit both games.  I'm trying really hard to be somewhat understanding, but this is just straight ridiculous at this point.

Definitely! I’ve not been on board with the Bills having to forfeit our game, but if they can’t go Sunday vs NE then it should really simplify everything. They lose both games. Bengals/NE get wins. Everyone ends up with 17 games on their record. No need for pushing back playoffs, coin flips, number generators, winning percentages, taking games out of other teams records, etc.

If Bills don’t play Sunday they forfeit both games. Anything short of that is unreasonable. In reality, they should have postponed Bengals/Bills until today. If Bills couldn’t go, that’s understandable, but they take the L. NFL royally dropped the ball by refusing to make ANY decisions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:26 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Yeesh.  Talks have begun?  Not to sound insensitive but unless Goodell was part of the intensive care team on Monday night, that was his job Monday night until a statement released by mid-day on Tuesday.  So many executives around the globe would be fired over this lack of decision and accountability.  I cannot believe the way this is being handled.  In the moment of Monday and early Tuesday, the entire league and its fans would have accepted any outcome.  That is shrinking considerably with each day that goes by and the continued avoidance of the situation.  The public-facing message Monday night should have been exactly what it was, that this was about the players and the families.  But behind the scenes, this needed to be solved.  Absolutely unbelievable.  And shady as hell quite honestly if they wait until after this weekend's games to make a decision. 

Right, as of 5:37pm on Wednesday the 4th of January the NFL stats "Talks have just begun... "

Also, you notice they really just talk about the game being canceled and playoff seeding scenarios and zero talks of when it could be replayed.  A decision won't be announced until Sunday after the Bills/ Pats and Bengals/Ravens games.  Too much revenue out there for these games to have a perception of meaning nothing.  Cynical and harsh but a 100% truth bomb.  It's just the way the world works. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:40 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: can't believe the KC moneyline is still at -400

has to be closer to <-900 if no decision on this is made prior to that game.

I don't gamble.  What does this mean?  How does the moneyline work?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How is moving the games back a week fair to the Bills and Bengals?   
Bills forfeit is by far the easiest and less impactful option.

This is absolutely the #1 easiest and by far least impactful option.    Icky yes, but fixes everything immediately with the least impact.

It gets worse from there with other options.
Reply/Quote
I think if the Bills aren't ready to go for the Pats game, then I think most people would generally be ok with calling that a forfeit. If we ignore the implications of the game. I dont think compassion would be nearly as big an element in that question.

The problem with doing so though, would be it absolutely ruins the AFC playoff picture. This isn't just about showing compassion to the Bills here, if they forfeit both games and take the L, you'll have two teams immediately knocked out of contention.

It's one thing to expect the Ravens to put up with losing the division because of a Bills forfeit (I actually think that might fly), but ending the wildcard chase over a forfeit will be a far more difficult path to navigate for the NFL. It's not an easy choice. Somebody is going to have to put up with something for sure though.
Reply/Quote
I am sure I will catch grief for this, but if this game can not be played, which due to logistics, and scheduling, it appears it can not, then the Bills need to forfeit. Sometimes you have to just bite the bullet, and make the difficult decision. You can't say the Bengals would have won, you can't say the Bills would have won, and you must definitely can't say they would have ended in a tie. I understand they could say it was a no contest, but that isn't fair either. Same as the Bills game this weekend. If they determine they can't play, then they need to forfeit. I get it is tough for the players, and the situation sucks, but life isn't always fair, and sometimes you get dealt $hit hands, and you just have to do what you have to do.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:33 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: This is starting to reach ridiculous levels.....................If the Bills can't go against the Pats for emotional reasons then they should just forfeit both games.  I'm trying really hard to be somewhat understanding, but this is just straight ridiculous at this point.

It's not just the Bills. Joe Burrow admitted that there were side discussions in the locker room about not playing this weekend. 

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:45 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I don't gamble.  What does this mean?  How does the moneyline work?

Getting a W regardless of the score, no spreads or anything, just a straight W choice.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:42 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Right, as of 5:37pm on Wednesday the 4th of January the NFL stats "Talks have just begun... "

Also, you notice they really just talk about the game being canceled and playoff seeding scenarios and zero talks of when it could be replayed.  A decision won't be announced until Sunday after the Bills/ Pats and Bengals/Ravens games.  Too much revenue out there for these games to have a perception of meaning nothing.  Cynical and harsh but a 100% truth bomb.  It's just the way the world works. 

If that were true, that the NFL will wait for the weekend games to be played and then announce a decision on the postponement, then they open themselves up to serious criticism that the NFL bureaucrats are deciding what they want the number 1, 2, and 3 seeds to be. 

Say KC and Buffalo both win and the NFL then comes out and says the Bengals-Bills game will not be completed. Then they can be criticized as wanting the Bills to be the number one seed. Or say the Bills and Chiefs both lose and the Bengals win and then they say the Bengals-Bills game will be played; then they can be viewed as not wanting the Bengals to be the number one seed, because by some accounts they win the tiebreakers. What if the Ravens beat the Bengals (God forbid) and they then decide the Bengals-Bills game will be completed or not completed. There are numerous such scenarios where the perception will be, if the NFL waits for the final weekend games to be completed, that the NFL is deciding things based on who they want as number 1, number 2, number 3, division winner, etc.

If the NFL doesn't want to be looked at as deciding who they want as home teams in the playoffs, they need to tell the teams before the weekend what their plan is for the Bengals-Bills game. Deciding after the fact makes it look like they viewed the seedings and then factored that in to their decision on whether or not to complete the Bengals -Bills game.

I personally think the NFL will reveal their decision before the weekend. Too many sportscasters are proposing solutions to get the Bengals-Bills game in. And at some point, the NFL leadership will realize that if they wait until after the weekend to announce, then they are setting the rules after the games are played and the results are in.
Reply/Quote
Anyone else absolutely shocked we haven't heard from Goodwill yet?

Biggest thing to happen to the league in two decades and not a peep from him. Great leadership man.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Other teams are starting to speak up about the NFL needing to tell now what their decision will be regarding completing the Bengals-Bills game.

Here's an example:

"It's unique," Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell said. "You hope they make a ruling and tell us what they're going to do. It's a tough situation. We understand that. Whatever the ruling may be, we'll accept it. But it would be nice to know. How much is this going to matter? It affects things. If we have a chance to play for a division championship, that's huge. It would be nice to go out there and compete for it. But having information would be nice."

With the suspension of Monday night's game, the Ravens are uncertain what they're playing for Sunday.

Baltimore is keeping its fingers crossed that there is more on the line Sunday.

"We'd be excited to be playing for the division crown," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "That's something that we're hopeful for."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35380323/ravens-ready-unique-bengals-showdown-amid-uncertain-stakes

In my view, it's unconscionable to ask the players to go out and play with such complete uncertainty. So, I think the NFL will let teams know before the weekend.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Getting a W regardless of the score, no spreads or anything, just a straight W choice.

I see.  Thanks you.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:08 PM)Nepa Wrote: If that were true, that the NFL will wait for the weekend games to be played and then announce a decision on the postponement, then they open themselves up to serious criticism that the NFL bureaucrats are deciding what they want the number 1, 2, and 3 seeds to be. 

I personally think the NFL will reveal their decision before the weekend. Too many sportscasters are proposing solutions to get the Bengals-Bills game in. And at some point, the NFL leadership will realize that if they wait until after the weekend to announce, then they are setting the rules after the games are played and the results are in.

Do you really think Goodell cares if he offends a bunch of sportscasters or anyone else for that matter?  Whatever he decides, in late April the NFL draft will be sold out and the media will have forgotten all about this. 

The only chance the Bengals/ Bills will play again in January 2023 is in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  We won't know this for sure until Sunday evening or Monday morning. 
Reply/Quote
I feel like the game has to be played

Too many other teams are counting on the outcome.

If they do random stuff and a team like the Jags miss out, I dont see how a team could just accept that
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:45 PM)Housh Wrote: I feel like the game has to be played

Too many other teams are counting on the outcome.

If they do random stuff and a team like the Jags miss out, I dont see how a team could just accept that

Jesus, if they find a way for the Jags to miss out on the playoffs because of the Bills-Bengals game... the NFL really will have found the most insane way to resolve this one.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: "It's unique," Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell said. "You hope they make a ruling and tell us what they're going to do. It's a tough situation. We understand that. Whatever the ruling may be, we'll accept it. But it would be nice to know. How much is this going to matter? It affects things. If we have a chance to play for a division championship, that's huge. It would be nice to go out there and compete for it. But having information would be nice."

With the suspension of Monday night's game, the Ravens are uncertain what they're playing for Sunday.

Baltimore is keeping its fingers crossed that there is more on the line Sunday.

"We'd be excited to be playing for the division crown," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "That's something that we're hopeful for."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35380323/ravens-ready-unique-bengals-showdown-amid-uncertain-stakes

This is exactly why the NFL will keep them guessing in week 18.  It's all about the perception of playing for something, and the NFL doesn't want teams to rest their starters once they declare a NO Contest. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:49 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: This is exactly why the NFL will keep them guessing in week 18.  It's all about the perception of playing for something, and the NFL doesn't want teams to rest their starters once they declare a NO Contest. 

Pretty sick if the NFL uses this as a way to get teams to be unable to rest their starters.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:44 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Do you really think Goodell cares if he offends a bunch of sportscasters or anyone else for that matter?  Whatever he decides, in late April the NFL draft will be sold out and the media will have forgotten all about this. 

The only chance the Bengals/ Bills will play again in January 2023 is in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  We won't know this for sure until Sunday evening or Monday morning. 

I think it's going to be played.  The tone changed a bit today.  I don't feel like the league as in the teams wants a game or playoff outcome decided by anything but infield play.  I think there will be every attempt to make sure the game is played.
Reply/Quote