Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
(01-04-2023, 04:11 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I honestly think that’s what they should do. I’m all on board with that.

It's starting to get some decent traction.  I think it might actually happen.

I think the league would like to cancel and maintain the schedule at playoff time.  I don't think a lot of people around the league are super okay with outcomes not being decided by actual gameplay.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is no options left that will be fair to all teams...

While I think it extremely unlikely, the "move the playoffs back a week" option is the most fair to everyone. I just don't know if it pissible logistically. I doubt it. But if it is, do it. 

Bills forfeit is next. It is harsh on Buffalo. I don't think the league should decree a forfeit without giving the Bills a chance to play the game over. But the "week 19" scenario is really the only plausible option for a replay, IF that is not possible, or the Bills refuse a replay option, then forfeit should happen. 

But it is not THAT harsh with the info that Cincy was ready to play but Buffalo wasn't. However, if it is true that the league was always gonna postpone, you cannot punish Buffalo in that scenario. 

The "play it out but subtract a random game from KC option" is probably next. Though it would not give us the opportunity to jump Buffalo. 

There are no real good options. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 06:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: While I think it extremely unlikely, the "move the playoffs back a week" option is the most fair to everyone. I just don't know if it pissible logistically. I doubt it. But if it is, do it. 

Bills forfeit is next. It is harsh on Buffalo. I don't think the league should decree a forfeit without giving the Bills a chance to play the game over. But the "week 19" scenario is really the only plausible option for a replay, IF that is not possible, or the Bills refuse a replay option, then forfeit should happen. 

But it is not THAT harsh with the info that Cincy was ready to play but Buffalo wasn't. However, if it is true that the league was always gonna postpone, you cannot punish Buffalo in that scenario. 

The "play it out but subtract a random game from KC option" is probably next. Though it would not give us the opportunity to jump Buffalo. 

forfeit is a mute point. NFL suspended the game
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 06:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: forfeit is a mute point. NFL suspended the game

I don't think it's a moot point.  Suspension means the game is "still active" in a sense, which means conceding a loss would still be on the table.  I'd feel awful for the Bills in that scenario as what happened was out of their control, but if it was a team decision not to continue the game, that's effectively what they already did.  
Reply/Quote
Now they are talking about postponing the Bills/Pats game....

They are making this (very serious situation I know) more than it needs to be especially with reports of him improving.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/troy-vincent-doesnt-rule-out-postponement-of-patriots-bills-game/

They need to stop acting like these players (many of which came from tough environments and experienced death - even tho, thankfully, we aren't talking about a death).

But let's talk about a death....

Clipped from a comment in the comment section:
In 2009 Chris Henry died on December 17th, the Bengals played the chargers in LA on the 20th went to Chris’s funeral on the 22nd in New Orleans and played Kansas City at Paul Brown stadium on December 27th.

The league didn't care this much about the Bengals Coaches/Players/Owners emotional state, which they took hard and he actually did die....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:50 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I completely agree.

This Commish is weak and not too bright. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now they are talking about postponing the Bills/Pats game....

They are making this (very serious situation I know) more than it needs to be especially with reports of him improving.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/troy-vincent-doesnt-rule-out-postponement-of-patriots-bills-game/

They need to stop acting like these players (many of which came from tough environments and experienced death - even tho, thankfully, we aren't talking about a death).

In 2009 Chris Henry died on December 17th, the Bengals played the chargers in LA on the 20th went to Chris’s funeral on the 22nd in New Orleans and played Kansas City at Paul Brown stadium on December 27th.

The league didn't care this much about the Bengals Coaches/Players/Owners emotional state, which they took hard and he actually did die....

Bc it wasn’t national media. The NFL cares about protecting their image and the fraction of a trillion dollar industry they have. What happened was extremely sad and a freak accident (based on the details we know now). They should have notified the teams Monday night that the game would be resumed Tuesday or Wednesday, and get ready. They’re making a mess of it now.

If bengals win #1 seed sue to a coin flip, I still think it’s BS and not a way the NFL should conduct business.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: That's the only option that a decisive and less feckless Commissioner would have chosen. Goodell is not decisive and  he's feckless as hell. 

He will probably consult an astrologer to resolve the situation. His own "personal" astrologer, of course.

I think that is an improvement on the "delay the playoffs a week" proposal from earlier. It lets the NFC proceed normally (initially), while the AFC gets moved back. 
Reply/Quote
This is probably a dumb idea and you guys will hammer me for it but how bout the NFC playoffs go on as normal then they replay the Bengals Bills game in that time period then they start the AFC playoffs by themselves and move the Super Bowl to March? Ok maybe not a good idea but just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:23 PM)packerbacker Wrote: This is probably a dumb idea and you guys will hammer me for it but how bout the NFC playoffs go on as normal then they replay the Bengals Bills game in that time period then they start the AFC playoffs by themselves and move the Super Bowl to March? Ok maybe not a good idea but just a thought.

They are not going to move the Super Bowl.  An event that big isn't as simple as saying, "Okay let's just move it back a week."  There are plans that have been made long in advance, reservations already made, entire hotels already booked for that weekend, support businesses already booked and scheduled and so forth.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:07 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I normally agree with you… however I disagree here.

If we don’t play the game, we can likely do no better than the 3 seed.  How is this game not worth playing?

If they do anything else it negatively effects teams that were not on the field when the injury happened. The only solution, without disrupting other teams is to play the game.

Put yourselves in the ravens shoes, imagine that you never have a chance for the North, how is that “fair”?

If we dont play the game and beat the Ravens and the random number method is used, we have an 80% chance at the #2 seed. We also dont risk injury to any key players.

The Ravens are without Lamar and locked into the playoffs.

I am very seriously concerned about an injury or injuries in a make-up game immediately before the playoffs... dont like that mojo.  I hate giving a team like the Chargers 2 weeks to prepare for us in a playoff game.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:23 PM)packerbacker Wrote: This is probably a dumb idea and you guys will hammer me for it but how bout the NFC playoffs go on as normal then they replay the Bengals Bills game in that time period then they start the AFC playoffs by themselves and move the Super Bowl to March? Ok maybe not a good idea but just a thought.

They will not move the super bowl. Too many logistics involved with that date. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now they are talking about postponing the Bills/Pats game....

Quote:“We have not had that discussion,” Vincent said regarding the possibility of postponing the Buffalo game. “It’s really important that we just keep the pulse of the coach and the players, and don’t get in front of that. And we’ll allow Sean [McDermott] and his team and his staff and his players, which are the most important thing here, to guide this, if we have to make that decision collectively with the club.”
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Same reason that some (many?) don't like the lottery system for draft picks - They don't like the decision to come down to random chance.

Also, you say only the Chiefs are impacted by the Bengals-Bills game, but the Ravens are impacted as well actually.
If the Bengals beat the Bills, they win the division regardless of the outcome of the Ravens game.
But if the Bills win, the Ravens have a chance to take the division by beating the Bengals.
So the decision of this game impacts more than just the 1-3 seeding.

The decision about whether to play or forfeit should come from the Bills and/or Bengals. That way, they own the outcome of what happens with the seeding.
If neither team chooses to forfeit, the NFL needs to find a way to adjust the postseason schedule to accommodate this game.

I'm sorry, who is this "Ravens" you speak of....? 

Reply/Quote
There is no scenario that does not negatively impact a team.

Everyone that really wants to play this Bills game, consider the chance of a huge, or multiple, injuries preventing us from our goal.

I would rather not play the game and take the L, beat the Ravens, win the AFCN and stay at the 3 seed, then risk losing Chase or Reader again. The Bills lost 2 players in 8 minutes.

Call me scared or whatever, I'm just saying I want my entire team for the playoffs. And I do not want our 1st playoff opponent to have 2 weeks to prepare.
Thus I prefer any solution that gives us a chance to better our seed position without having to replay that game.

And yes I know we risk injuries every game, but if a game doesn't have to be played that is 100% no injuries.

Reply/Quote
can't believe the KC moneyline is still at -400

has to be closer to <-900 if no decision on this is made prior to that game.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 06:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: While I think it extremely unlikely, the "move the playoffs back a week" option is the most fair to everyone. I just don't know if it pissible logistically. I doubt it. But if it is, do it. 

How is moving the games back a week fair to the Bills and Bengals?   
Bills forfeit is by far the easiest and less impactful option.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: How is moving the games back a week fair to the Bills and Bengals?   
Bills forfeit is by far the easiest and less impactful option.

It's not fair to either the Bills or the Bengals.  Bills need to forfeit or it needs to be declared as a "No Contest."

This just came out from NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-says-talks-have-begun-on-whether-to-resume-bills-bengals-game
Reply/Quote
Do not see anyway this game is rescheduled.

Bills forfeit would be the best possible scenario for Bengals imo

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:59 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: It's not fair to either the Bills or the Bengals.  Bills need to forfeit or it needs to be declared as a "No Contest."

This just came out from NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-says-talks-have-begun-on-whether-to-resume-bills-bengals-game

Yeesh.  Talks have begun?  Not to sound insensitive but unless Goodell was part of the intensive care team on Monday night, that was his job Monday night until a statement released by mid-day on Tuesday.  So many executives around the globe would be fired over this lack of decision and accountability.  I cannot believe the way this is being handled.  In the moment of Monday and early Tuesday, the entire league and its fans would have accepted any outcome.  That is shrinking considerably with each day that goes by and the continued avoidance of the situation.  The public-facing message Monday night should have been exactly what it was, that this was about the players and the families.  But behind the scenes, this needed to be solved.  Absolutely unbelievable.  And shady as hell quite honestly if they wait until after this weekend's games to make a decision. 
Reply/Quote