Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
The final week of the season has been about 75% exhibition games for as long as I remember, even after their attempt to put divisional matchups in the final week. Yeah, you had last year's LAC/LV game, but still.

I would think the NFLPA would be the ones demanding a decision on this before the weekend.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:54 PM)samhain Wrote: I think it's going to be played.  The tone changed a bit today.  I don't feel like the league as in the teams wants a game or playoff outcome decided by anything but infield play.  I think there will be every attempt to make sure the game is played.

Talk about the Butterfly Effect.  If we make that extra point in week one, a lot of what's up in the air right now is a moot point.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:54 PM)samhain Wrote: I think it's going to be played.  The tone changed a bit today.  I don't feel like the league as in the teams wants a game or playoff outcome decided by anything but infield play.  I think there will be every attempt to make sure the game is played.

They should play the game. If they don’t then why even play the playoffs at all? That’s just like being 0-0 just starting the season and just telling certain teams your awarded a playoff spot and you are too. If my Packers didn’t earn a playoff spot I don’t want them in there. That isn’t fair. The difference here is the Bengals and Bills earned it but I feel like they both might get shafted from this and KC will be awarded something they didn’t earn.What happened to Hamlin isn’t fair at all either, it totally sucks. His uncle says he is improving though. I hope he doesn’t have long term health issues from this. If he can come back and live a totally healthy life that would be awesome. I think they got CPR going right away to prevent him from having any brain or lung damage from lack of oxygen. I hope he will be back to normal I pray.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:23 PM)packerbacker Wrote: This is probably a dumb idea and you guys will hammer me for it but how bout the NFC playoffs go on as normal then they replay the Bengals Bills game in that time period then they start the AFC playoffs by themselves and move the Super Bowl to March? Ok maybe not a good idea but just a thought.

The Super Bowl can't be moved. End of that story. 

A word of advice...if you ever think "this is probably a bad idea", err on the side of caution.  Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:07 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Talk about the Butterfly Effect.  If we make that extra point in week one, a lot of what's up in the air right now is a moot point.

I've been thinking about that game every single week this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The Super Bowl can't be moved. End of that story. 

A word of advice...if you ever think "this is probably a bad idea", err on the side of caution.  Wink

We all want Hamlin healthy and happy. Secondly I would love for the Bengals to win that Lombardi.
Reply/Quote

Then it just begs the question of how can the NFL do this without putting both the Bengals and Bills at a disadvantage, and it will.  So in week 19, the NCF has their wildcards round with an added Bengals/Bills game?  So then the rest of the AFC gets a rest and has their WC round a week later?  If they move the entire playoffs back a week, then they cancel the PRO Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I don't think it's a moot point.  Suspension means the game is "still active" in a sense, which means conceding a loss would still be on the table.  I'd feel awful for the Bills in that scenario as what happened was out of their control, but if it was a team decision not to continue the game, that's effectively what they already did.  

How do you concede a loss when uou could not play if you wanted to. Makes no sense  no contest makes sense 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:29 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Then it just begs the question of how can the NFL do this without putting both the Bengals and Bills at a disadvantage, and it will.  So in week 19, the NCF has their wildcards round with an added Bengals/Bills game?  So then the rest of the AFC gets a rest and has their WC round a week later?  If they move the entire playoffs back a week, then they cancel the PRO Bowl?

The Bengals and Bills played less than a quarter this week, so they, in theory got their sort-of week off.  It's not really that uneven.  I don't think the pro bowl not happening will have much of an impact on anyone.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:07 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Talk about the Butterfly Effect.  If we make that extra point in week one, a lot of what's up in the air right now is a moot point.

Only the AFCN Division. It makes the race for the #1 seed tighter. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:11 PM)packerbacker Wrote: What happened to Hamlin totally sucks. His uncle says he is improving though. I hope he doesn’t have long term health issues from this. If he can come back and live a totally healthy life that would be awesome. I hope he will be back to normal I pray.

That right there is a good post.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
The other consideration I don’t think has been really discussed is that, if the game is cancelled, the NFL will lose roughly $15M in the form of refunded ticket sales. I know that’s not a huge sum by the NFL’s standards, but I’m sure they’d rather not have to lose those dollars if they can avoid it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:04 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: The other consideration I don’t think has been really discussed is that, if the game is cancelled, the NFL will lose roughly $15M in the form of refunded ticket sales.  I know that’s not a huge sum by the NFL’s standards, but I’m sure they’d rather not have to lose those dollars if they can avoid it.

Any financial loss the NFL incurs this year will most likely be made up next year when then find a way to pass on the cost to the consumer.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:41 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals and Bills played less than a quarter this week, so they, in theory got their sort-of week off.  It's not really that uneven.  I don't think the pro bowl not happening will have much of an impact on anyone.  

I think there was only 7 offensive plays on the part of the Bengals and 12 defensive plays. And if they restart the game they also only play from that point, so not even a full game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:41 AM)PhilHos Wrote: No to random number generator and no to coin flip. Let's not forget that if they go this route, whoever loses can and most likely will field complaints about it being rigged unless there is full transparency and even then conspiracy theorists are going to have a field generator.

If they do not resume the game, they need to either declare a tie or no contest (I'd prefer a tie, personally) unless a team forfeits.

And if the Bills do forfeit this Sunday, they should forfeit the Bengals game as well.

CORRECT!!!!
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:56 PM)Science Friction Wrote: CORRECT!!!!

At this point, I’d take a coin flip, a finish of the game, a no contest, a tie. Anything so that there is full transparency as to what this upcoming game and subsequent playoffs look like.

But no to the random number generator or deleting previous games by other opponents.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:41 PM)samhain Wrote: The Bengals and Bills played less than a quarter this week, so they, in theory got their sort-of week off.  It's not really that uneven.  I don't think the pro bowl not happening will have much of an impact on anyone.  

Bengals playing a quarter this week is nowhere near as even as a playoff opponent getting 2 weeks to prepare for the first playoff game.  WTH are you people thinking trying to equate the 2?  

Pro Bowl week has a ton of consequences that doesn't have to do with any teams.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:26 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Yeesh.  Talks have begun?  Not to sound insensitive but unless Goodell was part of the intensive care team on Monday night, that was his job Monday night until a statement released by mid-day on Tuesday.  So many executives around the globe would be fired over this lack of decision and accountability.  I cannot believe the way this is being handled.  In the moment of Monday and early Tuesday, the entire league and its fans would have accepted any outcome.  That is shrinking considerably with each day that goes by and the continued avoidance of the situation.  The public-facing message Monday night should have been exactly what it was, that this was about the players and the families.  But behind the scenes, this needed to be solved.  Absolutely unbelievable.  And shady as hell quite honestly if they wait until after this weekend's games to make a decision. 

NFL is very , very shady .   You think I trust Goodell's "random" numbers?   I trust Goodell & his shady organization about as much as I trust my ex-gf.  Damn her.   .Smirk
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 08:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Definitely! I’ve not been on board with the Bills having to forfeit our game, but if they can’t go Sunday vs NE then it should really simplify everything. They lose both games. Bengals/NE get wins. Everyone ends up with 17 games on their record. No need for pushing back playoffs, coin flips, number generators, winning percentages, taking games out of other teams records, etc.

If Bills don’t play Sunday they forfeit both games. Anything short of that is unreasonable. In reality, they should have postponed Bengals/Bills until today. If Bills couldn’t go, that’s understandable, but they take the L. NFL royally dropped the ball by refusing to make ANY decisions.

Excellent post!   I agree with all you said.

When is it okay to start saying the Bills are acting like p*****s for not wanting to play ?   Asking for a friend.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:56 PM)Science Friction Wrote: CORRECT!!!!

Why the NFL suspended the game not the bills
Reply/Quote