Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OL coach Pollack looking for guys with a nasty streak
(01-24-2018, 12:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I do remember that now, but I still find it kind of amusing given Evan Mathis actually did have a nasty streak but Alexander preferred Livings.

PA started Mathis over Livings in '09 until Evan got injured.

In 2010 Mathis did not deserve to start.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on this picture of his underwear it looks like Ogbuehi still has a chance to play under Pollack.

[Image: skid-mark-pants.jpg]

Disgusting.  What did you have to type in the search box to find that?  Or is it the drawers you wore yesterday?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on this picture of his underwear it looks like Ogbuehi still has a chance to play under Pollack.

[Image: skid-mark-pants.jpg]

Some one needs some tide pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 01:35 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Some one needs some tide pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't eat them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If I remember correctly, a lot teams had liked Bodine. The scouting reports were, country strong, good at the second level. This might have been a case of square peg in a round hole. 

Alot of teams like players coming out the draft that end up never panning out at the next level. Not sure what system Bodine or Ogbuehi would work in ? Maybe Pollack runs a system were the center just gets shoved back into the quarterbacks lap every play and the tackles are supposed to get ragged dolled and olay their defenders like bull fighters. Or maybe his system worked in Dallas because he had Travis Federick at center , Tryon Smith at LT along with Zack Martin at guard , Collins at RT who would have been a top ten pick if he wasn’t a suspect in his ex girlfriends murder prior to the draft, think Cooper the other guard was drafted 7th overall when he came out , so maybe his system is based off having talent and 1st round draft picks ? I wanted Alexander out much as the next guy but I’m not drinking the cool aid and believing that just because we hired a bunch of new positions coaches that it will fix all the problems with this team.
Reply/Quote
I also liked how it was pointed out that Ogbuehi and Fisher need to still be coached up.
Quote:There are those that believe the nasty streak that Pollack thought McNally saw all those years ago in him can help a guy like the athletically gifted Ogbuehi make that adjustment to the power game that has hampered his ability to get established. They also think it’s a nice fit with center Russell Bodine, whose Bengals’ career is in limbo headed to free agency.
Pollack likes what’s there. He says Ogbuehi and Fisher “are talented guys. Where they were drafted tells you they have talent. We have to try to develop that talent and see if we can get those guys to take the next step.”
I don't get the same feeling as I did from Alexander of "Oh just give it time. They'll come along eventually," and acting like the fans know nothing.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson just posted an article where Pollack talks about what he's looking for in OL.
The main takeaway is he likes guys with a nasty streak.
He also likes scheme versatility. The ability to play power or zone.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Down-the-line/b242d055-9da4-4fc3-949e-0108c14d8098

I know Jake Fisher had a mean streak coming out of Oregon. Ogbuehi did not. Bodine I think (kinda?) had that but may have been influenced by Alexander's more passive approach.
I'll be singling out OL prospects in the draft that have "mean streaks" as likely candidates to be drafted by the Bengals.

Great stuff Ocho, got me excited. Also love the way Pollack speaks of adjusting from zone to power with who the teams
are we play. The nasty streak is really something i have been wanting to see here. Haven't really seen this since Willie,
Bobbie, Levi and Braham were all here.

Some guys who fit this trait have already been mentioned i am sure. Quentin Nelson, Will Hernandez, McGlinchey, Cappa,
Ragnow, Wynn, Price, Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, James Daniels Okorafor etc.

Sure is refreshing having Pollack here man who likes to coach up his guys.

Wasn't actually frightened by the mention of Bodine in college. He was impressive then, especially in interviews and at
the Combine. He was a solid fill in early at Center with little upside. TJ Johnson i still think is the better bargain for our
backup Center though. Need to draft a Center early.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great stuff Ocho, got me excited. Also love the way Pollack speaks of adjusting from zone to power with who the teams
are we play. The nasty streak is really something i have been wanting to see here. Haven't really seen this since Willie,
Bobbie, Levi and Braham were all here.

Some guys who fit this trait have already been mentioned i am sure. Quentin Nelson, Will Hernandez, McGlinchey, Cappa,
Ragnow, Price, Connor Williams, Orlando Brown, James Daniels etc.

Sure is refreshing having Pollack here man who likes to coach up his guys.

Wasn't actually frightened by the mention of Bodine in college. He was impressive then, especially in interviews and at
the Combine. He was a solid fill in early at Center with little upside. TJ Johnson i still think is the better bargain for our
backup Center though. Need to draft a Center early.

You left out Isaiah Wynn, who I think has one of the best "mean streaks" in the whole upcoming draft.
I am liking what I'm seeing from Cappa in Senior Bowl practices too. He might be a worthwhile risk in the third round, but I definitely wouldn't go higher than that. Right now I see him projected on Day 3 across multiple sites.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You left out Isaiah Wynn, who I think has one of the best "mean streaks" in the whole upcoming draft.
I am liking what I'm seeing from Cappa in Senior Bowl practices too. He might be a worthwhile risk in the third round, but I definitely wouldn't go higher than that. Right now I see him projected on Day 3 across multiple sites.

WTF?!!! Wynn is like my second favorite Guard prospect in the entire draft. Cannot believe i left him out! Edit

Yeah, Cappa if he falls to the 3rd would be a great grab.

Okorafor OT Western Michigan is a good one too on the 2nd day of the draft...
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be happy about "no change" with o-line personnel, and it's a tad concerning that ol Hobspin is spinning these scrubs as being salvageable.

Of course, seeing how we don't use FA, it kinda narrows our options. If we use the draft primarily to address other spots (or draft another CB to sit for 3 years), Hobs has to have us prepared to accept round 4-5 with Bodine, Ogbuehi, Fisher, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:58 PM)McC Wrote: What did you have to type in the search box to find that?

"McC's nasty streak"
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I also liked how it was pointed out that Ogbuehi and Fisher need to still be coached up.
I don't get the same feeling as I did from Alexander of "Oh just give it time. They'll come along eventually," and acting like the fans know nothing.

Paul Alexander says "Ogbuehi and Fisher are talented players that need more time to develop"...Fans grab pitchforks and riot.

Pollack says "Ogbuehi and Fisher are talented players that need more time to develop"...Fans bake him cookies and call him a genius.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You left out Isaiah Wynn, who I think has one of the best "mean streaks" in the whole upcoming draft.

Right now though, Cappa is a little lite in the pants, 299 LBS. It might take a year to put some weight on him. Technique might be there, but NFL playing strength might not.
If you could get him like you said, in the middle rounds and work with him, you might have something.
Reply/Quote
BREAKING NEWS:

In an effort to save his job, Cedric Ogbuehi has reportedly pushed his grandmother in front of a speeding bus.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: BREAKING NEWS:

In an effort to save his job, Cedric Ogbuehi has reportedly pushed his grandmother in front of a speeding bus.

Fake news!! He'd have to lift his arms to do that!!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Paul Alexander says "Ogbuehi and Fisher are talented players that need more time to develop"...Fans grab pitchforks and riot.

Pollack says "Ogbuehi and Fisher are talented players that need more time to develop"...Fans bake him cookies and call him a genius.

Because Paul Alexander was in charge of developing those players and had three years to do so. It wasn't done. He deserves to be criticized.
Pollack hasn't had that chance yet, so he gets credit for acknowledging it but not criticized because he hasn't had time to work with them.
If he doesn't get anything out of them but the team keeps pushing them out there without drafting/signing replacements, then I'll start to criticize Pollack too.
If a player takes more than three years to develop into something, then A) the player shouldn't have been a first or second round pick, and/or B) the coaching is/was bad.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't be happy about "no change" with o-line personnel, and it's a tad concerning that ol Hobspin is spinning these scrubs as being salvageable.

Of course, seeing how we don't use FA, it kinda narrows our options. If we use the draft primarily to address other spots (or draft another CB to sit for 3 years), Hobs has to have us prepared to accept round 4-5 with Bodine, Ogbuehi, Fisher, etc.

When it comes to Free Agent Tackles, Andre Smith gets mentioned as one of the better Tackle free agent options in 2018 with Nate Solder seeming to lead the pack. I highly doubt the Bengals would be the highest bidder on Nate Solder and it thins out rather quickly from there to Andre.

If the Bengals drafted more than 1 Offensive Lineman within the first 3 rounds it would be somewhat of a surprise to me.

Once and if they pass on a 1st round Tackle then we may be getting into developmental time for any Tackle taken say round 2 or after.

In short, the Bengals may end up being in the "salvaging" business again in 2018 with Pollack being expected to pull it off by Mike & Marvin.

For these reasons, I am leaning toward wanting the Bengals to take a Top Left Tackle in round 1, like maybe Mike McGlinchey.

I fear they may "salvage" the 1st and 2nd round Tackle picks they already have on the team once again.

I expect them to "salvage" at this point with all hopes pinned on Pollack to do it.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't be happy about "no change" with o-line personnel, and it's a tad concerning that ol Hobspin is spinning these scrubs as being salvageable.

Hobspin always spins scrubs into being salvageable Shake.

But imagine if Pollack actually could get something out of these scrubs...

(01-24-2018, 02:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Right now though, Cappa is a little lite in the pants, 299 LBS. It might take a year to put some weight on him. Technique might be there, but NFL playing strength might not.
If you could get him like you said, in the middle rounds and work with him, you might have something.

Sure is showing that NFL playing strength right now. Size isn't everything, Geno is like the same size.

(01-24-2018, 02:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because Paul Alexander was in charge of developing those players and had three years to do so. It wasn't done. He deserves to be criticized.
Pollack hasn't had that chance yet, so he gets credit for acknowledging it but not criticized because he hasn't had time to work with them.
If he doesn't get anything out of them but the team keeps pushing them out there without drafting/signing replacements, then I'll start to criticize Pollack too.
If a player takes more than three years to develop into something, then A) the player shouldn't have been a first or second round pick, and/or B) the coaching is/was bad.

Spot on, we all saw what PA did with these guys.

A first rounder, 2nd rounder and his pick of a Center all were terrible under his coaching prowess lol

Lets see what Pollack can do who is coming off a year two years ago when he coached the best O-line in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:29 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Well I know guards Quentin Nelson and Will Hernandez have mean streaks. I did read that Lazor and Austin are at the senior bowl and were locked onto Hernandez yesterday.

Also, check out tackle Alex Cappa out of Humboldt State. He's from a D2 school but he was tossing dudes around at the senior bowl.

Dang, I was hoping Cappa would remain a sleeper. Sad
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Right now though, Cappa is a little lite in the pants, 299 LBS. It might take a year to put some weight on him. Technique might be there, but NFL playing strength might not.

He doesn't seem to be having too much issue going up against DL in the practices thus far.
That 299 lbs might be fine. If not, he has seven months to bulk up before the NFL regular season starts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote