Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OL coach Pollack looking for guys with a nasty streak
(01-24-2018, 02:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Right now though, Cappa is a little lite in the pants, 299 LBS. It might take a year to put some weight on him. Technique might be there, but NFL playing strength might not.
If you could get him like you said, in the middle rounds and work with him, you might have something.

Whitworth had dropped down to about 310 and was still playing LT at a high level
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whitworth had dropped down to about 310 and was still playing LT at a high level

Yep and Whit is 6'7" and this probably even helped prolong his career.

How tall is Cappa BTW?
Reply/Quote
Is it possible he could coach up Bodine? Would it make a difference if he was tried in a different scheme (i.e. Inside instead of Mid Zone) where he can use his strength? Am I clutching at straws?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 03:58 PM)dnkw Wrote: Is it possible he could coach up Bodine? Would it make a difference if he was tried in a different scheme (i.e. Inside instead of Mid Zone) where he can use his strength? Am I clutching at straws?

We rushed all over the last two teams of the season when they changed the scheme... Pretty sure bodine was part of that.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep and Whit is 6'7" and this probably even helped prolong his career.

How tall is Cappa BTW?

Cappa (6-foot-6, 299 pounds)

http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/article/headline/senior-bowl-notebook-division-ii-ot-cappa-stands-his-ground/465315/

last tidbit was interesting on the Alabama center
Quote: but it was Alabama center Bradley Bozeman who stood out the most. He refused to let interior rushers beat him with power or quickness, using quick hands to reset and anchor mid-rush to halt his opponent. If he maintains this level of play through the week, Bozeman will be one of the Senior Bowl’s top performers.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 03:58 PM)dnkw Wrote: Is it possible he could coach up Bodine? Would it make a difference if he was tried in a different scheme (i.e. Inside instead of Mid Zone) where he can use his strength? Am I clutching at straws?

(01-24-2018, 04:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We rushed all over the last two teams of the season when they changed the scheme... Pretty sure bodine was part of that.

I guess it is possible, i sure hope so if we don't get a Center early.

Just shows how bad PA was at picking players to fit the scheme we ran.
Reply/Quote

I think that's kinda why Bodine was mentioned. Clearly Bodine sucked in the scheme Alexander was trying to run. While it's difficult to just have faith a new coach could turn him around, there's always a SMALL possibility of that happening.

Personally, I don't want to see the Bengals take that chance.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 04:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that's kinda why Bodine was mentioned. Clearly Bodine sucked in the scheme Alexander was trying to run. While it's difficult to just have faith a new coach could turn him around, there's always a SMALL possibility of that happening.

Personally, I don't want to see the Bengals take that chance.

Same here, time to move on and draft a Center early or grab one like Jensen or Richburg in FA.

Richburg doesn't have that nasty streak though and Jensen will probably get re-signed by the Ravens.

Drafting one early sounds like our best bet.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 02:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: BREAKING NEWS:

In an effort to save his job, Cedric Ogbuehi has reportedly pushed his grandmother in front of a speeding bus.

Please. His grandma would reverse pancake him into oblivion.

(01-24-2018, 03:10 PM)depthchart Wrote: When it comes to Free Agent Tackles, Andre Smith gets mentioned as one of the better Tackle free agent options in 2018 with Nate Solder seeming to lead the pack. I highly doubt the Bengals would be the highest bidder on Nate Solder and it thins out rather quickly from there to Andre.

If the Bengals drafted more than 1 Offensive Lineman within the first 3 rounds it would be somewhat of a surprise to me.

Once and if they pass on a 1st round Tackle then we may be getting into developmental time for any Tackle taken say round 2 or after.

In short, the Bengals may end up being in the "salvaging" business again in 2018 with Pollack being expected to pull it off by Mike & Marvin.

For these reasons, I am leaning toward wanting the Bengals to take a Top Left Tackle in round 1, like maybe Mike McGlinchey.

I fear they may "salvage" the 1st and 2nd round Tackle picks they already have on the team once again.

I expect them to "salvage" at this point with all hopes pinned on Pollack to do it.

McGlinchey is exactly who I'm hoping they take...seeing how Solder is a pipe dream.

(01-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hobspin always spins scrubs into being salvageable Shake.

But imagine if Pollack actually could get something out of these scrubs...

I have little to no hope for Ogabooboo and Blodine. Fisher is a slightly different story. 

If they draft McGlinchey, let Blodine walk and find a suitable replacement, I could roll with that. Sadly, that's probably the most we can hope for.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I remember when they drafted Bodine, one of the things they talked about was how he was a nasty streaked strong center built for the AFCN. Somewhere along the line, PA ruined him. Maybe Pollack can salvage him, if he can so be it, if not then time to cut bait and move on. If he's looking for mean streaks, CO is unsalvageable.....
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I remember when they drafted Bodine, one of the things they talked about was how he was a nasty streaked strong center built for the AFCN. Somewhere along the line, PA ruined him. Maybe Pollack can salvage him, if he can so be it, if not then time to cut bait and move on. If he's looking for mean streaks, CO is unsalvageable.....

Yep. Going back to some old scouting reports, a mean streak was a consistent theme across.
What I worry is what happens if Bodine is brought back? Would that mean the Bengals roll with either TJ Johnson or Bodine as the only C options? Does this prevent them from taking a C early in the draft? If they do take a C early in the draft, would the team be willing to part with Bodine or TJ Johnson if the rookie upstages either of them?

That's a lot of risk and I think it would cause (keep) a lot of fans to take the wait-and-see approach before embracing the Bengals again because it would look like they continue to stick with underperforming vets and nothing changes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't think I can go another season of them gambling with Ogbuehi and Bodine as starters.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Good to hear.

There are some mean streaks in this draft.

Let's see if we target them, or if we go for the "athletic ones" like Fisher and Ogbuehi again.

I want big, powerful maulers on this offensive line. If they can't pass protect, at least they can run block.

At the end of the day, offensive linemen need to move people. And being "athletic" is not the best way to move people. Being stronger and meaner is.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep. Going back to some old scouting reports, a mean streak was a consistent theme across.
What I worry is what happens if Bodine is brought back? Would that mean the Bengals roll with either TJ Johnson or Bodine as the only C options? Does this prevent them from taking a C early in the draft? If they do take a C early in the draft, would the team be willing to part with Bodine or TJ Johnson if the rookie upstages either of them?

That's a lot of risk and I think it would cause (keep) a lot of fans to take the wait-and-see approach before embracing the Bengals again because it would look like they continue to stick with underperforming vets and nothing changes.

No, I haven't given up on Bodine (yeah, camp looks deserted around here), but I say we still draft a top center if there's one available and let them compete. If Bodine loses starting C, then let him be the backup. 
Reply/Quote
I'm already resigned to Bodine coming back (I'll be VERY surprised - elatedly so - if he doesn't), so I just hope Pollack can at the very least keep him from always being driven back into Dalton's lap.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, I haven't given up on Bodine (yeah, camp looks deserted around here), but I say we still draft a top center if there's one available and let them compete. If Bodine loses starting C, then let him be the backup. 

It's really tough to get a prediction of what they will do, until Coach Pollack has had time to complete his initial review of the current guys.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At the worst I would give bodine a 1-2 year deals with no cap hit if cut.... Cause if we don't get the Center we want or any center... Then we are looking at TJ Johnson snapping the ball And he hasn't unseated bodine the past 2 years
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's really tough to get a prediction of what they will do, until Coach Pollack has had time to complete his initial review of the current guys.

How do you think he will do this? By looking at film and seeing what was wrong and think he can coach him? My biggest fear, we sign him and think we are set at C for the next couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whitworth had dropped down to about 310 and was still playing LT at a high level

I got a chance to watch a little practice today in between lessons and lunch. I couldn't tell exactly who Cappa was? Is he LT or RT? Shiney metalic helmet?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:37 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I got a chance to watch a little practice today in between lessons and lunch. I couldn't tell exactly who Cappa was? Is he LT or RT? Shiney metalic helmet?

Green helmet with Clay Mathews hair. He's played both tackle spots in thr senior bowl practice but was a LT in college.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote