Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OL coach Pollack looking for guys with a nasty streak
(01-24-2018, 04:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: last tidbit was interesting on the Alabama center

Bozeman looked really good the first day. He's not the most athletic center but he has excellent hands and an anchor (bubble butt) that allows no one to push him around. He get his hands on you and sits down in his stance it's game over.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, I haven't given up on Bodine (yeah, camp looks deserted around here), but I say we still draft a top center if there's one available and let them compete. If Bodine loses starting C, then let him be the backup. 

So if the Bengals draft a top C and re-sign Bodine and the drafted C beats both him and TJ Johnson out, do you think Johnson should be the one cut then?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:35 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How do you think he will do this? By looking at film and seeing what was wrong and think he can coach him? My biggest fear, we sign him and think we are set at C for the next couple of years.

Yes, absolutely.  How else is he supposed to sit down with Lazor and Lewis, and make his case as to who's worth keeping and who we need to bail on?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 06:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So if the Bengals draft a top C and re-sign Bodine and the drafted C beats both him and TJ Johnson out, do you think Johnson should be the one cut then?

he would be a cheaper backup than bodine probly but yeah at least bodine has been doing it for the last 4 years where TJ has been putting a grove on the bench

Well if he likes nasty... These guys are getting old but still around

[Image: Nasty_Boys_bio.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Bozeman looked really good the first day. He's not the most athletic center but he has excellent hands and an anchor (bubble butt) that allows no one to push him around. He get his hands on you and sits down in his stance it's game over.

I say this and he struggles day two. Quicker interior linemen are getting under his hands and he doesn't have the athleticism to recover to that speed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 07:12 PM)Synric Wrote: I say this and he struggles day two. Quicker interior linemen are getting under his hands and he doesn't have the athleticism to recover to that speed.

Better to make that discovery now, rather than in training camp.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bodine doesn't lack a mean streak, he lacks lateral movement and the ability to identify who to block.

Ogbeuhi has lacked pretty much everything except for the fact that he has developed the fastest backpedal in the league.

Draft the best left tackle available and Billy Price.
Reply/Quote
We can blame scheme all we want. But when a nose tackle is right over Bodine wether it's a zone , man or whatever scheme it is Bodine gets pushed back like he's on roller skates. Let's just move on from this mistake . I'm sure we can find anyone in FA or college that is way better then this piece . The Center from Ohio St. Would have been great last year in the 3rd round..
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 05:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's really tough to get a prediction of what they will do, until Coach Pollack has had time to complete his initial review of the current guys

Man...doesn't it feel nice just saying that name and realizing PA is in the rear view?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 12:43 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Except for "Nasty Nate"

Who turned out to be not so nasty.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 06:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he would be a cheaper backup than bodine probly but yeah at least bodine has been doing it for the last 4 years where TJ has been putting a grove on the bench

Well if he likes nasty... These guys are getting old but still around

[Image: Nasty_Boys_bio.jpg]

Or these guys...
[Image: f5af73e17f12cb1715750b9d89e06840.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 04:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cappa (6-foot-6, 299 pounds)

http://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/article/headline/senior-bowl-notebook-division-ii-ot-cappa-stands-his-ground/465315/

last tidbit was interesting on the Alabama center

Thanks Xeno, just about the dimensions of a fit Whitworth. Definately want to give Cappa a look in the 2nd to 3rd rounds.

Also liked that tidbit on Bozeman, sounds like one of those big, tough to move Centers. Right there that is better than Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Or these guys...

Damn, Rob looks like he's zooming on something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hobson just posted an article where Pollack talks about what he's looking for in OL.
The main takeaway is he likes guys with a nasty streak.
He also likes scheme versatility. The ability to play power or zone.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Down-the-line/b242d055-9da4-4fc3-949e-0108c14d8098

I know Jake Fisher had a mean streak coming out of Oregon. Ogbuehi did not. Bodine I think (kinda?) had that but may have been influenced by Alexander's more passive approach.
I'll be singling out OL prospects in the draft that have "mean streaks" as likely candidates to be drafted by the Bengals.

Well, I guess that leaves off 4 of our starting 5 OL.

Just watch, Mike Brown will force him to play Ogbuehi and Bodine (who we will resign at an inflated price - just because it's a "family" thing in Mikey boy's mind).

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 09:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, I guess that leaves off 4 of our starting 5 OL.

Just watch, Mike Brown will force him to play Ogbuehi and Bodine (who we will resign at an inflated price - just because it's a "family" thing in Mikey boy's mind).

I believe it was Paul Alexander forcing the play of Ogbuehi and Bodine. Those were his guys. He's repeatedly stood up on the table for them.
Where I think Mike Brown would impose his influence is playing a young, cheap guy over a costly vet. Since Ogbuehi is still on a rookie contract and Bodine is a FA and shouldn't command much money (hopefully) in FA, I would hope neither would be handed a starter role since they would still be considered "cheap".
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 09:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Just watch, Mike Brown will force him to play Ogbuehi and Bodine (who we will resign at an inflated price - just because it's a "family" thing in Mikey boy's mind).

Where did you come up with this theory that Mike Brown decides who plays?

And I guess you were not a Bengal fan when we let Ghiacuic walk at the end of his contract and then cut Kyle Cook while he was still under contract.
Reply/Quote
He wants guys with mean streaks? Sounds like something you would find in a Disney movie.

Ide rather just have really good offensive lineman that can play.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I believe it was Paul Alexander forcing the play of Ogbuehi and Bodine. Those were his guys. He's repeatedly stood up on the table for them.
Where I think Mike Brown would impose his influence is playing a young, cheap guy over a costly vet. Since Ogbuehi is still on a rookie contract and Bodine is a FA and shouldn't command much money (hopefully) in FA, I would hope neither would be handed a starter role since they would still be considered "cheap".

Bodine not commanding much is not a good thing for us. It means Mikey will see him as a cheap starter. But he will over pay given that Bodine should not be starting anywhere in the league.

Mike Brown affects who starts by saying goodbye to better veteran players, thus forcing the coaches to go with weaker talent. It's not just the OL, it's many positions. Reggie Nelson signed with Oakland for less money that we paid unproven young safety Williams. Nelson is still the better player.

Look at the WRs where we have Aj Green followed by a bunch of cheap guys.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 01:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Bodine not commanding much is not a good thing for us. It means Mikey will see him as a cheap starter. But he will over pay given that Bodine should not be starting anywhere in the league.

Mike Brown affects who starts by saying goodbye to better veteran players, thus forcing the coaches to go with weaker talent. It's not just the OL, it's many positions. Reggie Nelson signed with Oakland for less money that we paid unproven young safety Williams. Nelson is still the better player.

Look at the WRs where we have Aj Green followed by a bunch of cheap guys.

I understand and will clarify that I don't want Bodine back by any means. That ship has sailed for me even though there's a new OL coach in town.
But what would be even worse than Bodine back on a cheap contract is Bodine back on a medium-to-large contract.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Or these guys...
Meyers has got to be standing on chair!
Reply/Quote