Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nice game, Jackson Carman
(01-25-2023, 11:33 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: While I kind of agree with your assessment on Jonah, I think this year was the first year he trended downward. PFF wise (whatever that is worth): 70.1 to 77.1 to 61.2. The OL & Burrow were horrid early on, and almost completely predictable by formation. And then Jonah played through a dislocated kneecap. 

When making the call on the 5th year, our other options were Adeniji who looked terrible at guard, Carman, who looked terrible at guard,, and Smith, who has barely played. A big time FA is gonna be pricey and there is no guarantee we could land one. 

Jonah will have next year to prove he is a franchise level LT. Collins will have a year to bounce back to form. And Carman & Adeniji will have another year to improve & challenge them if they falter. Smith or a drafted OT as well. 

I 100% get where you're coming from. And I agree that the 5th year option was, indeed, the only option. However, if Carman emerges.... there IS the other option. As far as Carman is concerned, one game does not give me any confidence in him as far as long term option. It does give me hope for game #2 that a healthy Carman is better than a gimpy Jonah Williams.

I'm incredibly eager to see if this run game continues in KC.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point.  I mentioned that in another thread.  I think the Bengals hiring him and having him focus on developing the guys that aren't getting all the snaps in practice was huge.  

Never understood why teams don't do this anyways. There's no cap restrictions on the number of coaches you can have. So why not let the top coach work with starters and have 2nd coach responsible for developing the backups?

1 guy can't do it all. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Offensive line obviously struggled last night - any thoughts on how Carman played last night?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:43 PM)bk42 Wrote: Offensive line obviously struggled last night - any thoughts on how Carman played last night?

Carman had a tough game he gave more than a few pressures but really for his second start at LT on this stage it wasnt the worst game... now Max Sharping and Hakeem Adeniji on the other than were just all bad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Carman had a tough game he gave more than a few pressures but really for his second start at LT on this stage it wasnt the worst game... now Max Sharping and Hakeem Adeniji on the other than were just all bad.

Yep, was really disappointed with how Scharping and Adeniji played but Carman isn't Charmin anymore lol
Reply/Quote
Thanks - while not perfect, I thought Carman was solid last night (which gives me a little more hope for his future with the Bengals compared to what I thought a month ago)
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:04 PM)bk42 Wrote: Thanks - while not perfect, I thought Carman was solid last night (which gives me a little more hope for his future with the Bengals compared to what I thought a month ago)

He is a beast in the running game, but speed rushers DO give him problems same as I always thought.

He will man handle power rushers.
Reply/Quote
Carman played good and was the best one of the bunch last night..we need Cappa back healthy and a new starting right tackle, Collins is blah.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, was really disappointed with how Scharping and Adeniji played but Carman isn't Charmin anymore lol

those 2 cost us the game,,absolutely horrible last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:15 PM)RancidJedi Wrote: those 2 cost us the game,,absolutely horrible last night.

Yep, the right side of the line was an absolute nightmare all game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 02:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is a beast in the running game, but speed rushers DO give him problems same as I always thought.

He will man handle power rushers.

That's the one thing that really makes Carman pop, especially if you're not specifically paying attention to him. He has tremendous power and can really dominate a defender once he gets his hands on them. That'll stand out while watching the game and you'll think "Carman seems to be doing well" but you may miss his losses that result in pressures without reviewing it. 

He undoubtedly looked better at T than G. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:30 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yep, the right side of the line was an absolute nightmare all game. 

It was somehow even worse than I thought.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's the one thing that really makes Carman pop, especially if you're not specifically paying attention to him. He has tremendous power and can really dominate a defender once he gets his hands on them. That'll stand out while watching the game and you'll think "Carman seems to be doing well" but you may miss his losses that result in pressures without reviewing it. 

Last year he was getting better at guard but for some reason they pulled him for Adeniji. They said it was because of his back but then brought him in as the 6th lineman in heavy lol. That first preseason game at LG though ouch.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Last year he was getting better at guard but for some reason they pulled him for Adeniji. They said it was because of his back but then brought him in as the 6th lineman in heavy lol. That first preseason game at LG though ouch.

I do think Carman has the physical ability to play OL in the NFL, so it isn't necessarily surprising that he did fine at T. It's probably a reps issue. He has rarely (ever?) played G, so him being falling flat there there is also...not surprising, I guess. I would hate to move him around much more, but he may get looks at RT next season with Collins' injury and mediocre play. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was somehow even worse than I thought.

Even just an average game by that side and we likely win. Of course both have the worst performances ever in the same game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:15 PM)RancidJedi Wrote: those 2 cost us the game,,absolutely horrible last night.

Yeah, it sure wasn't Ossai the fall guy that some are blaming. He played great all day.

Thought Adeniji and Scharping played really good against the Bills but damn, them and even our starters in Karras and Volson
were getting abused by the Chiefs DL most of the game. Chris Jones owned us, need to remedy this for our future rivalry with 
these guys. Almost hoping Mahomes big contract makes it hard for the Chiefs to extend Chris Jones whenever his contract is up.

Dude is seriously a great player.

(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's the one thing that really makes Carman pop, especially if you're not specifically paying attention to him. He has tremendous power and can really dominate a defender once he gets his hands on them. That'll stand out while watching the game and you'll think "Carman seems to be doing well" but you may miss his losses that result in pressures without reviewing it. 

Truth, sometimes he just completely obliterates a Defender. He will give up pressures as he doesn't have quick feet.

I would just love it if we just went bully ball behind him though and ran it. I think this was apart of our demise.

More of the running game would of really helped, young O-lineman are just better at run blocking at this level.

Gives them confidence and Carman is a natural run blocker.
Reply/Quote