Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nick Mangold
(02-25-2017, 06:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's no way he has 3-4 years left in the tank. He's been a starter in the NFL for 11 years already and is 33.

Just because early thirties is the norm, does not mean that is the end for an OLman.  Look at guys like Ray Brown, Jackie Slater, Bruce Matthews, Jon Runyan.  There are plenty more that played well into their late thirties, those are just the extreme examples.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:20 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I just figured maybe Mangold would want to play for us since he grew up pretty close to here. It would be a great fit and he could come back home

I didn't even know he grew up close. This is sounding more and more likely.

Cut, old, cheap, used to be very good etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 06:33 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Right, like someone else posted also, makes too much sense. Mike might not want to hurt Whit or Zeitler feelings by offering something to Mangold before they are locked. This is a great chance to salvage this line and open up the draft, it has the Bengals MO all over it, yet we will just do nothing. We just want to see something, at least show a little effort to improve this team rather than saving a buck. I know Mangold is up there age wise but he's better than what we have now.

Whit just wants reassurance from what i have read.

This would help with that, he won't be insulted if we brought in Mangold. More likely than not encouraged.
Reply/Quote
Even at 33 he would be an instant upgrade over Bodine. But it wont happen.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Even at 33 he would be an instant upgrade over Bodine. But it wont happen.

This is actually the type of deal we make without fail.

But what if for some reason the FO thinks Bodine is good and doesn't feel they need another center?

That's scary
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:37 PM)Housh Wrote: This is actually the type of deal we make without fail.

But what if for some reason the FO thinks Bodine is good and doesn't feel they need another center?

That's scary

Yeah, we do this like every year. I actually would be surprised if he is not a Bengal this year.

It is too blatant, i don't think the FO is THAT stupid. They have made smart moves in the past.

Just letting the team fall into decrepancy is not how they roll. They love mediocrity.

This keeps us there and might even make us a contender again. This is their move. Not even hard to predict.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 06:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's no way he has 3-4 years left in the tank. He's been a starter in the NFL for 11 years already and is 33.

Rich Braham was 36 when he walked away from the game due to injury. He had missed @ 19 games prior to that.   Mangold has been playing at a higher level and with better health than Braham.  It's not too much of a stretch to think that Mangold, with better physical abilities and current medical treatments could see another 3 solid years playing. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:44 PM)Burma Wrote: Rich Braham was 36 when he walked away from the game due to injury. He had missed @ 19 games prior to that.   Mangold has been playing at a higher level and with better health than Braham.  It's not too much of a stretch to think that Mangold, with better physical abilities and current medical treatments could see another 3 solid years playing. 

Nope, not a stretch by any means.

This sounds like it has a Bengal stamp on it to me.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whit just wants reassurance from what i have read.

This would help with that, he won't be insulted if we brought in Mangold. More likely than not encouraged.

I agree.  Seeing the Bengals trying to win and making smart moves could go a long way here.  Think of it as a do over for the front office on the Carson Palmer kerfluffle.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't even know he grew up close. This is sounding more and more likely.

Cut, old, cheap, used to be very good etc. 
His wikipedia said he went to Alter in Kettering, but I thought he went to Centerville with Nugent and A.J. Hawk. None the less , same vicinity and pretty close to Cincy!!!

As opposed to the scrap heap signings we usually do, I think he still has enough in the tank to get us through the window years of our core.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:37 PM)Housh Wrote: This is actually the type of deal we make without fail.

That's scary

If someone thinks that Bodine is good right now they are ignorant. Bodine makes a few good plays a game, but it does not outweigh the mistakes he makes that costs us field position every game.  When you lose games as close as we did this season you cannot have someone who is not mentally equipped to handle the situation.
Reply/Quote
Well lets just hope they even come to their senses about our current C need. I'm still mad we missed out on Mack a couple times. I wanted us to draft him.
Reply/Quote
This makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 08:01 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: His wikipedia said he went to Alter in Kettering, but I thought he went to Centerville with Nugent and A.J. Hawk. None the less , same vicinity and pretty close to Cincy!!!

As opposed to the scrap heap signings we usually do, I think he still has enough in the tank to get us through the window years of our core.

Good to know, would be nice if he came home.

Like i said, i would rather have Wisnewski cause of age but this guy was one of if not the best Center in football in his prime.

If he has something left he would help this team more than anyone immediately and it just looks like a Bengal signing.

Dansbyesque.
Reply/Quote
I'm game.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 08:13 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: This makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

You are so right. I have been a Bengals fan as long as I can remember (at least 1978) and I can see the moves that I know would help this team. I want them to happen so bad I think that just be discussing them with other Bengals fans maybe it will happen.  Then the Rose Colored glasses come off and the Brown Colored glasses go on. 
Reply/Quote
Even if he repeats and gives us only 8 games. That's 8 games where we don't have to see Bodine get raped on the line. Now we can see Mangold basically not be too good but not be bad either. Hed at least make the center position a 0 instead of a negative million
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 08:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, would be nice if he came home.

Like i said, i would rather have Wisnewski cause of age but this guy was one of if not the best Center in football in his prime.

If he has something left he would help this team more than anyone immediately and it just looks like a Bengal signing.

Dansbyes
Having a good C is so critical. Our line was never the same after Rich Braham got hurt and we have been scrambling and plugging scrubs in ever since
Reply/Quote
It would also most likely help to get Whit to stay.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 08:19 PM)Housh Wrote: Even if he repeats and gives us only 8 games. That's 8 games where we don't have to see Bodine get raped on the line. Now we can see Mangold basically not be too good but not be bad either. Hed at least make the center position a 0 instead of a negative million

Bodine reminds me of the big strong farm kid in high school that all the coaches want to play football so bad. Then he gets in there and has no clue what's going on
Reply/Quote