Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Vigil a Bengal
(04-30-2016, 11:53 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Where did you hear this?

bengals.com

Makes sense too as the Packers took the other backer from USU right after us and he is not as good as Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am saying s that I trust the decisions of all 32 NFL teams over all the draft "experts" around here.

As I have said many times there is a lot of luck involved in the draft.  Even the best teams miss on first round picks.  But when a guy that a lot of people were wanting us to take in the first or second is still on the board in the fourth round I am guessing the NFL scouts know something that most of you don't.

So all  of you saying "we could have gotten Vigil in the 4th" don't have clue what you are talking about.

And even the "experts" get it wrong a lot of the time. Can't always trust them either.

I tend to trust my own eyes in the end.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Only if you ignore the fact that the teams that missed ahead of us are franchises that show year after year they're bad at drafting talent. Simpson wasn't a good pick no matter how you try and spin it Fred.

Wrong again.  In that same draft the Seahawks wasted a first round pick on DE Lawrence Jackson 18 picks before we took Simpson.

I am not saying that Simpson was a great pick.  All I am saying is that it was not the disaster that many of you claim.  Simpson had a better career than many other players taken in front of him in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I heard Marvin on Sirius NFL this morning address LB pick. Last year we grabbed Dawson in the 3rd, this year Vigil. The last LB drafted before round 4 before Dawson was Rey M. He said it was an area they needed to address now and for the long term. He is also high on Flowers and Dawson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:50 AM)Benton Wrote: The Bengals must have had a bet going, to pick the one guy that would create the most dead air for ESPN. All they could come up with? "Uh... his brother played in 16 games for Miami last year and started in two."

Man, I do not get this draft. We need a receiver, center, DT (in reverse order of need there). All those guys would likely get into the rotation. So we take a corner who probably won't see the field, a receiver and a linebacker who — the only thing I can figure — is going to be brought in on passing downs once they can teach him a playbook. WTF!? There's decent DL talent on the board and we bring in a situational linebacker.

I'm, not dogging the Bengals. Last season was awesome and the next looks to be even better. But crap, we haven't done much to improve the team the last two drafts outside of replacing Andre Smith.

They took a shutdown corner in round 1 to replace kirk who they will probably let walk. The guy was pretty awful last year. WGIII might replace Kirk immediately or at least start in the nickel. And we still got a good receiver to play alongside Green. I don't see this as a failure. Sure I'd rather of had Doctson, but in any other year those three receivers wouldn't of had first round grades. They'd of been 2nd rounders by their draft grade.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong again.  In that same draft the Seahawks wasted a first round pick on DE Lawrence Jackson 18 picks before we took Simpson.

I am not saying that Simpson was a great pick.  All I am saying is that it was not the disaster that many of you claim.  Simpson had a better career than many other players taken in front of him in the draft.
Except the Seahawks weren't that great in the draft until Pete Carrol came in, in 2010.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Except the Seahawks weren't that great in the draft until Pete Carrol came in, in 2010.

Seahawks had 20 picks combined in the '13 and '14 drafts and did not get a single player as good as Jerome Simpson.
Reply/Quote
IMO this guy will eventually change everyone's opinion of him. I think he's going to be a solid linebacker in the future for the Bengals. I watched some video of him right away after the pick, coaches are gonna have fun with him. His progression through college was great. Not sure about the rat tail stuff though lol.

I'm happy with the draft so far, three picks that will help the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seahawks had 20 picks combined in the '13 and '14 drafts and did not get a single player as good as Jerome Simpson.

Irrelevant to the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:46 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Irrelevant to the conversation.

Only to people who want to ignore context and reality when ripping the Bengals.

When looked at in context the Simpson pick was not that bad.  We got a better player than many other teams who drafted in front of us that year, and not just the bad teams.
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of potential in this pick. His measurables and production match Brian Urlacher and Luke Kuechly. Urlacher was also from a school in a weaker conference. GUrlacher was about .1 ish faster in the 40, 2" taller and 250 lbs instead of 240, but similar timed quickness and just a hard nosed, instinctive football player.

Maualuga is getting older, but still, this kid has plenty of time to grow into a regular role with the Bengals. I'm not upset, but not wow'd, either. He's a football PLAYER so lets see how he plays.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only to people who want to ignore context and reality when ripping the Bengals.

When looked at in context the Simpson pick was not that bad.  We got a better player than many other teams who drafted in front of us that year, and not just the bad teams.

How is the people that the Seahawks drafted in 2013-14 relevant? Any of those players could be better than Simpson, because Simpson really didn't play until his 4th year in the league, and he the only reason why he ever started was because he was on teams that were in desperate need of WRs. Out of the 7 years he was in the league he was only a starter 2 of those years, and when he was a starter he was very underwhelming.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 12:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: bengals.com

Makes sense too as the Packers took the other backer from USU right after us and he is not as good as Vigil.

Very interesting. Marvin's suspicion that he wouldn't make it to day 3 may have been correct. 
Reply/Quote
Ourlads scouting had Vigil ranted as the #3 LB in the entire draft behind Jack & Raggland.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 04:22 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He would have been a great pick for us but he's shit for the Steelers' scheme.  They keep drafting horribly.  The only bright side to us not drafting him is the Steelers did.
I disagree with the Boyle grade because Thomas went early and he was the best receiver for us left.

None of the receivers before us fit what we needed.  I was pissed when Thomas went earlier, but he was the only better fit for us.  

I am pissed that we didn't take Billings or Hargrave.

As Tomlin's background is 4-3, you really can't make that statement.

It was well known that once they moved on from LeBeau the would begin a transition, and they're own comments about the lessening need for a beefy NT shows that they are indeed starting that move.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But it proves he was not the disaster many of you claim.  He was better than 2 of the 5 taken before him.

No it doesn't.

Your argument relies on Simpson's performace relative to other receivers in his draft class.

Other players turning out as diasters doesn't negate the fact the Simpson was also a disaster. It only establishes that other receivers were shit. Well, so what? You act as if those receivers were the only alternative.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 01:03 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: No it doesn't.

Your argument relies on Simpson's performace relative to other receivers in his draft class.

Other players turning out as diasters doesn't negate the fact the Simpson was also a disaster. It only establishes that other receivers were shit. Well, so what? You act as if those receivers were the only alternative.

I understand Fred's point. Not to speak for him, but I think his point is that the Bengals took a WR (fankly, out of need) and the only ones to choose from were in that draft so, therefore, they did not make a bad pick based on what was there to choose from and what was known at the time.

Simpson was a dissapointment for several reasons, but it wasnt due to lack of talent. The Bengals made a great pick talent wise. Dude was just an idiot personally and professionally.

The Bengals are running the draft so differently now, I guess I don't see much relevance in discussing picks pre-20111.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have another player or wish they used the pick to trade up earlier.
Reply/Quote
Ive been finding a ton more positives by the 'experts' out there than negatives on pickin Virgil in the 3rd, for what that is worth. CBS, NFL, and ESPN all had good things to say about the pick. Personally I think it was a good one for this season for special teams, and then after a year of getting stronger he can be push for a starting spot at LB. Of course like all draft picks of every year, we wont know a whole lot until preseason kicks off at the earliest.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Since we had Billings on 4th round, that will give the kid some air.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote