Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Go Joe
(08-16-2021, 08:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm on the fence about it. There's a part of me that believes he needs some reps. I dunno

How you doing old friend?  I am in agreement, as usual, with you on this topic.  I think they should let him start getting some timing back in those legs and arms.  But very gently...
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I also get that Burrow was injured and rushing him back is a lousy idea, but what does it say that Ryan Thinley and Brandon Allen managed to survive behind lousy o-lines that we are terrified to put Burrow behind? I get that he's more valuable than them, but still.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:05 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Here's my worry about Burrow not playing a snap in the pre-season.

Everyone's saying last year he didn't play a snap in the preseason and had a good year until he went down.  Problem with that theory is if he doesn't play 1 snap of football this preseason he's 3 games behind everyone else.

I guarantee you that week 1, Mike Zimmer isnt going to put white gloves on his defense and say don't hit Burrow hard.  Zimmer's defense is going to come out firing and blitzing like he did here in Cincinnati.  

Burrows going to get hit sometime, so he might as well take a few hits against Miami because he may be a little shell shocked after Game 1 against Zimmer's bunch.  

I agree with what most have said, If he's healthy and cleared he needs to play in game 3.  If not then let Allen take us into the regular season until Joe feels comfortable with playing or Zac feels comfortable playing Burrow.

He's still doing 11 on 11's in camp. It's not like he's sitting on the bench. Do you think the 6 plays and the sac really helped Brady? I doubt it made much difference other than when Hendrickson and Ossai hit him the coach was regretting having him out there until he got up. I just don't think a few snaps in a preseason game is going to make that much difference. The kids been playing football his whole life and he's practicing every day.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I also get that Burrow was injured and rushing him back is a lousy idea, but what does it say that Ryan Thinley and Brandon Allen managed to survive behind lousy o-lines that we are terrified to put Burrow behind?  I get that he's more valuable than them, but still.

I just think getting the starting 5 together and then putting Burrow in behind them is the smart move, instead of putting him out there while still shuffling the line against one of the best D-lines in the league. To me, that's dumb. Miami is the smart play.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's still doing 11 on 11's in camp. It's not like he's sitting on the bench. Do you think the 6 plays and the sac really helped Brady? I doubt it made much difference other than when Hendrickson and Ossai hit him the coach was regretting having him out there until he got up. I just don't think a few snaps in a preseason game is going to make that much difference. The kids been playing football his whole life and he's practicing every day.

Do i think Brady is probably is going to play in any of the other 2 games this preseason?  Probably.  He has a coach who trust the 44 YO QB and  how his body feels.  Then you have a HC in Cincy who knows his career hinges on this year. 

However, my thing is he can practice and 11 on 11 camps all you want.  It doesn't match game conditions.  

You can try and make a pocket feel uncomfortable all you want but until someone knocks him upside the head IMO won't be football conditions.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I just think getting the starting 5 together and then putting Burrow in behind them is the smart move, instead of putting him out there while still shuffling the line against one of the best D-lines in the league. To me, that's dumb. Miami is the smart play.

RIght, but that gets back to the notion that Burrow while not being 6'5 and having a canon for an arm was supposed to bring the intangibles that he is never flustered by his opponent and he would never let hesitancy nor uncertainty get in the way of his performance.  Academically, I get it...fan-wise we are backpedaling on what makes Burrow so special.
Reply/Quote
Many teams aren't playing their starting QB at all in the preseason, some are doing one series, I am not sure why we are convinced it's a huge deal that Burrow doesn't play. The guy literally took 0 preseason snaps last year and had very limited snaps as a whole during the off season because of the pandemic. He was perfectly fine yesterday in practice in 11 on 11 when the play broke down, at this point it's about managing risks to a starting QB in general in my mind not necessarily one returning from injury.
Reply/Quote
Just keep him healthy and ready for Miami. Also give him plenty of reps. Don’t jeopardize the regular season. But Joe needs live reps.

That’s where I’m at.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Many teams aren't playing their starting QB at all in the preseason, some are doing one series, I am not sure why we are convinced it's a huge deal that Burrow doesn't play. The guy literally took 0 preseason snaps last year and had very limited snaps as a whole during the off season because of the pandemic. He was perfectly fine yesterday in practice in 11 on 11 when the play broke down, at this point it's about managing risks to a starting QB in general in my mind not necessarily one returning from injury.

My thoughts exactly.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: RIght, but that gets back to the notion that Burrow while not being 6'5 and having a canon for an arm was supposed to bring the intangibles that he is never flustered by his opponent and he would never let hesitancy nor uncertainty get in the way of his performance.  Academically, I get it...fan-wise we are backpedaling on what makes Burrow so special.

Maybe fans are backpedaling on what make Burrow special.  But today's Burrow isn't the Burrow of a year ago.  He had a season-ending knee injury and surgery.  That can mess with the head in a way he hasn't dealt with before.  There's almost guaranteed to be some hesitation on his part on the field.  Better to get those cobwebs shaken loose in preseason when the poor timing interception or dumping the ball just to clear it don't matter as much.  

If he doesn't play against Washington this week, fine.  But I think he has to be on the field against Miami, and probably more than just one series since he's sitting out the other two preseason games entirely. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I also get that Burrow was injured and rushing him back is a lousy idea, but what does it say that Ryan Thinley and Brandon Allen managed to survive behind lousy o-lines that we are terrified to put Burrow behind?  I get that he's more valuable than them, but still.

Because why take a chance with an OLine that is still gelling.  They looked pretty good out there, but who's to know that until they get some live action like they did in TB.  Similarly in Washington - new schemes, new positions on our OLine....why take chances?  With two games under their belt I believe Joe will be out there for at least a couple series in PS game 3.   Perhaps the entire first half.

It all makes sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: If he's good to go, he needs to play.

Yeah, otherwise don't bench, I agree. 
Reply/Quote
We all want Burrow to stay healthy. I think for the mental side of it, he needs to play a series or two. Have people coming at him. Potentially have to move around or take a hit. He's a great kid and each day he's progressing. A series or two against competition that isn't going to pull up would be helpful mentally. If he took a hit or avoided pressure, I think that would just add to his confidence. If you put him out there and he gets dropped on the first play, you can always pull him out and send one of the stiffs in.
Reply/Quote
He'll get his reps vs. Miami.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:09 AM)Stewy Wrote: Because why take a chance with an OLine that is still gelling.  They looked pretty good out there, but who's to know that until they get some live action like they did in TB.  Similarly in Washington - new schemes, new positions on our OLine....why take chances?  With two games under their belt I believe Joe will be out there for at least a couple series in PS game 3.   Perhaps the entire first half.

It all makes sense to me.

It makes sense to me, too...but this line ain't gonna gel by week 1.  What I'm saying is the argument is more along the lines of "Why risk Burrow when the games don't count?" rather than the notion that we aren't going to be holding our collective breath as Burrow is under assault later than sooner.

Chances are going to be taken with Burrow, but the notion is the games matter so chances need to be taken.  Maybe we luck out and the Vikings QB room is out on covid violations and we can treat week 1 as his "get right" game. 
Reply/Quote
I understand holding him out 2nd preseason but if he continues to not be at 100% through the preseason do we run him out there for real contact game 1 if he still is not considered 100%, is that risk worth it?
Reply/Quote
Burrow is already pushing the earliest return to play envelope his prognosis allows. And just because a player is cleared to play doesn’t mean they’re 100%. How much of a difference is playing one or two series on 8/29/21 versus 9/12/21 really going to make?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:23 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I understand holding him out 2nd preseason but if he continues to not be at 100% through the preseason do we run him out there for real contact game 1 if he still is not considered 100%, is that risk worth it?

I think he is 100%, and the decision has nothing to do with his health..... it's just being safe and putting him in for some game reps against Miami instead of WFT. Either way, with the way the line played in TB, he won't be under the same assault he was last year (hopefully) and he's going to be fine. He can get the ball out quick or hand it off until he gets his groove.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:23 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I understand holding him out 2nd preseason but if he continues to not be at 100% through the preseason do we run him out there for real contact game 1 if he still is not considered 100%, is that risk worth it?

Him not playing in a meaningless game does not mean he’s not 100%.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:37 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Him not playing in a meaningless game does not mean he’s not 100%.

If he was 100% he would play.

Coming off a 4 win season isnt the time to rest starters.
Reply/Quote