Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Go Joe
I've said it a bunch of times but if I had my way QB1 would never play in the preseason, healthy or not.  And that goes for loads of other starters too.  I just don't think most of these guys get much out of it.  Certainly not enough for the reward to outweigh the risk.  They see more reps in a single day's worth of practice then they do in an enitre preseason.

Not only do I hope they hold Joe out this year, I hope the hold him out next year, the year after that, the year after that and so on.  IMHO the preseason is stupid, especially for roster locks.  High School kids don't get a preseason.  College kids don't get a preseason.  But all of the sudden in the NFL these guys needs to play in meaningless warmup games?

Think of this way, Joe Burrow didn't get a preseason last year.  He didn't get OTA's or a Minincamp either.  His team meetings took place on Zoom.  And all of this happened with ZERO experience as an NFL rookie.  You can say the same for Justin Herbert, and you can close to the same for Andy Dalton in 2011.  I think they did ok.  I don't think it's the end of the world if Joe Burrow doesn't see reps in year 2.

PS I have laugh at Brady playing that series.  That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Like he really needed those two attempts.  That was totally worth torpedoing your entire season so a 20+ year vet could play about 5 plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've said it a bunch of times but if I had my way QB1 would never play in the preseason, healthy or not.  And that goes for loads of other starters too.  I just don't think most of these guys get much out of it.  Certainly not enough for the reward to outweigh the risk.  They see more reps in a single day's worth of practice then they do in an enitre preseason.

Not only do I hope they hold Joe out this year, I hope the hold him out next year, the year after that, the year after that and so on.  IMHO the preseason is stupid, especially for roster locks.  High School kids don't get a preseason.  College kids don't get a preseason.  But all of the sudden in the NFL these guys needs to play in meaningless warmup games?

Think of this way, Joe Burrow didn't get a preseason last year.  He didn't get OTA's or a Minincamp either.  His team meetings took place on Zoom.  And all of this happened with ZERO experience as an NFL rookie.  You can say the same for Justin Herbert, and you can close to the same for Andy Dalton in 2011.  I think they did ok.  I don't think it's the end of the world if Joe Burrow doesn't see reps in year 2.

PS I have laugh at Brady playing that series.  That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Like he really needed those two attempts.  That was totally worth torpedoing your entire season so a 20+ year vet could play about 5 plays.

Brady didnt need to play for sure if there is 1 guy in the league that doesnt need preseason its him and he wants to be out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: PS I have laugh at Brady playing that series.  That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Like he really needed those two attempts.  That was totally worth torpedoing your entire season so a 20+ year vet could play about 5 plays.

Right? I would have been holding my breath if I was a TB fan. They have a legitimate chance to repeat, and this is the LAST thing I would want to see…

[Image: gw05anjqwrh71.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: If he was 100% he would play.

Coming off a 4 win season isnt the time to rest starters.

If he wasn’t 100% he wouldn’t be take every first team snap. If he wasn’t 100% he wouldn’t be scrambling, and running in 11 v 11. If he wasn’t 100% he wouldn’t have only taken 1 single day off of practice.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I've said it a bunch of times but if I had my way QB1 would never play in the preseason, healthy or not.  And that goes for loads of other starters too.  I just don't think most of these guys get much out of it.  Certainly not enough for the reward to outweigh the risk.  They see more reps in a single day's worth of practice then they do in an enitre preseason.

Not only do NFL players need multiple pre-season games, but season ticket holders need to be forced to pay regular season prices for a couple of these games.

It's all about the revenue. The owners and players want it and they realize these games woyld be a hard sale wirh no vets playing at all. Plus the top players, like Brady, will want to get every possible snap they can.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 11:54 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not only do I hope they hold Joe out this year, I hope the hold him out next year, the year after that, the year after that and so on.

Burrow could be the first NFL player of note to never play in a pre-season game, I bet.

2020 - no pre-season covid stuff
2021 - injured/precautionary
2022 onward - veteran, doesn't need a pre-season

Brady is nuts, but that's just the way he is.  The guy is ultra rich and is like 60 years old and played last season with a busted knee when dudes half his age would have retired.  You can't apply Tom Brady logic to anyone.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not only do NFL players need multiple pre-season games, but season ticket holders need to be forced to pay regular season prices for a couple of these games.

It's all about the revenue. The owners and players want it and they realize these games woyld be a hard sale wirh no vets playing at all. Plus the top players, like Brady, will want to get every possible snap they can.

I think the NFL does need preseason games, simply to see what they have on the roster. I don't believe the starters need to play, however. I also have never agreed with them charging full price for season ticket holders for these games when you can get them from stub hub and the like for 12 dollars. If I were Taylor, Burrow, both starting tackles, Mixon, Boyd, Higgins and Chase would probably not see the field until Minnesota. Nor would Reader or Ogunjobi. The few snaps they will get are just chances to get hurt for very little gain. 
Reply/Quote
He's coming off a major knee injury so we can't have the best of both worlds: gets reps and heals up. I'm fine with them being cautious and letting him continue to heal.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He's coming off a major knee injury so we can't have the best of both worlds: gets reps and heals up. I'm fine with them being cautious and letting him continue to heal.

Besides, people are acting like Taylor said he won't play at all, or that reps against Miami don't count for some reason. WFT is not the last pre season game.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Save Burrow for the Phins. That is all I have to say.

No need to throw him to those Washington wolves.

Get him a couple series against the Phins and gain a bit of chemistry. We are in weird years where we have to adjust.

This
Reply/Quote
So if most part people are all in on Joe not playing in the preseason does this mean we are safe in Gameday threads for the first few weeks from seeing posts and threads about how he is just rusty, and needs to build timing and hasn't seen any game action?

I get being concerned with his health, and the worry but the guy missed half a season of his rookie year in Covid world. Extra snaps against a defense that isn't being told to hold back would be a good test for him. Practice completions are great, but the DL is pushing to a point then holds up, Joe knows he will not get touched in practice. Defenders aren't going to hit a WR trying to catch a pass and risk injurying their own teammate. Preseason has a value, and that value is just getting reps against an opponent that is trying to beat you.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
People better brace for some less-than-stellar performances from Burrow right out the gate.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Seems if our goal is to build the best oline; it'd be good for that oline to know how thew QB moves in the pocket and for the QB to know how they block.

I remember being a little upset with Wilcots when he questioned why the GOAT was playing and JB was not; but I kinda see it now.

We said our oline was going to get Allen killed; I don't think he got touched.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So if most part people are all in on Joe not playing in the preseason does this mean we are safe in Gameday threads for the first few weeks from seeing posts and threads about how he is just rusty, and needs to build timing and hasn't seen any game action?

I get being concerned with his health, and the worry but the guy missed half a season of his rookie year in Covid world. Extra snaps against a defense that isn't being told to hold back would be a good test for him. Practice completions are great, but the DL is pushing to a point then holds up, Joe knows he will not get touched in practice. Defenders aren't going to hit a WR trying to catch a pass and risk injurying their own teammate. Preseason has a value, and that value is just getting reps against an opponent that is trying to beat you.
Well...for those saying he should play...are you ok with him getting hurt in a meaningless game?  I prefer the rust. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems if our goal is to build the best oline; it'd be good for that oline to know how thew QB moves in the pocket and for the QB to know how they block.

I remember being a little upset with Wilcots when he questioned why the GOAT was playing and JB was not; but I kinda see it now.

We said our oline was going to get Allen killed; I don't think he got touched.

Both Allen and Ryan Thinley survived behind this o-line.  I understand that Burrow is more valuable than the two of them combined times 100, but still, he might not like being treated like he's made of glass.
Reply/Quote
I bet he pays a quarter or more in the last game...
Reply/Quote

When I was in high-school we played at least 2 scrimmage games before the season... Same thing as pre-season..we lost our QB in 1 of them. So yes they do..
Reply/Quote
I am old enough to remember a time when Joe Burrow didn't need a good OL because he was so good he would make a bad OL better. He also didn't need great weapons because he would turn mediocre receivers into good ones and good ones into great ones.

Now he has his top pick WR to go along with his two other 1k WR candidates, and people don't want him to play football until his OL is solidified.

My how the times have changed since all those.... *Checks date.*....Months... ago.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 02:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am old enough to remember a time when Joe Burrow didn't need a good OL because he was so good he would make a bad OL better. He also didn't need great weapons because he would turn mediocre receivers into good ones and good ones into great ones.

Now he has his top pick WR to go along with his two other 1k WR candidates, and people don't want him to play football until his OL is solidified.

My how the times have changed since all those.... *Checks date.*....Months... ago.

No, just no until it count for something.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 01:43 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Well...for those saying he should play...are you ok with him getting hurt in a meaningless game?  I prefer the rust. 

If he is healthy enough to play week 1 of the season, then yes I'm okay with him getting hurt in a meaningless game if that is what happens. I in no way want him to get hurt but he needs reps. He doesn't have to play long, but he certainly needs to get out there and face a defense that is going to challenge him and put real pressure on him especially coming off the injury. He needs to get hit and be okay with it because he is going to get hit across 17 games. I'd rather him get the jitters and rust off in a game that means nothing, then week one look tentative and struggle out to a 0-2 or 0-3 start. The schedule gets harder not easier for the Bengals, the last 9 weeks won't be fun.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote