Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Go Joe
(08-16-2021, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.aol.com/bengals-joe-burrow-decision-second-215314475.html

Out for the 2nd PS game.

Can't make the team in the tub..Go Kyle Shumur..

*can't make the club in the tub.

Just sayin.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 08:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm on the fence about it. There's a part of me that believes he needs some reps. I dunno

He should get a couple series at home in game #3. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:09 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd park him until:
1- he's healthy
2- the ol is functional.

There's no point in putting him out there just hoping he can stay healthy and not take a beating.

Unless we trade Burrow he's eventually going to be out there taking a beating for the Bengals and we are going to be holding our breath.  I can't see a day coming soon where Burrow is 100% confident and healthy and our oline is good enough for us to be comfortable in his return. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:12 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Not sure he’d be going full pads MULTIPLE practice early if he wasn’t 100% healthy. Maybe it’s not smart to put him out there when they are still figuring out line and it just happens to be the place he tore his ACL.

This.  I'll take a pass vs WFT's beasts and depth.  Get the line straight and play him more vs Miami.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Unless we trade Burrow he's eventually going to be out there taking a beating for the Bengals and we are going to be holding our breath.  I can't see a day coming soon where Burrow is 100% confident and healthy and our oline is good enough for us to be comfortable in his return. 
Then that's a huge problem.

If we don't have an ol in place, we don't need a franchise QB. 

Dalton was an ok QB. If there wasn't a line in place, whatever, there's a dozen other guys who can do that good in the same circumstance. But if we're going to go all in on a QB? Then we've got to treat it as such.

If we can't protect joe, we need to park him until we get our shit together. Otherwise, it's Tim Couch 2.0.
Reply/Quote
The Oline kept our QBs clean against TB. Their dline is pretty good as well.

The "save Joe from WFT" is silly. AS I said: The game is a contact sport. If he's ready, he's ready. I'm not sure any starters from any team will play week 3.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Feel reps would definitely do our young QB some good and he will only gain true confidence in knee by getting hit.

But if he is not quite 100% ready then I see no reason to push it at this moment.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well I guess it could be that they’re holding off to give the OL time to get their act together so he’ll have better protection when he does take the field.Plus it gives him more rehab time on the knee,before he really puts it to the test.With such a devastating knee injury as he had I would use caution,as they have.But in preseason game 3 I would cut him loose for 2 possessions in the first quarter.I’m sure it would be a big help in getting him ready for opening day.
Reply/Quote
I imagine that he'll get some reps in the 3rd game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The timing strikes me as odd. Announcing on Monday that he won't play on Friday

It strikes me as a predetermined position no matter his health. I think if he was going to play preseason it was always going to be the last one.
Reply/Quote
Lap said the 2nd game is now the old 3rd game, ie the dress rehearsal, and the 3rd game is now the 4th for evaluating the back end of the roster. I see no reason to throw Burrow into the buzzsaw at Washington while Pollack is still putting together the best 5. Let him get the line straight, give the starting 5 a week of reps together, then let Burrow play behind them at Miami for a couple of series. Or, don't put him in at all. A quarter of play is not going to make a huge difference either way, and if he were to get hurt in the pre-season this board would lose it's collective crap about why he was in there. I'm fine with sitting him until the Minnesota. Unleash him on Zim.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 06:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It strikes me as a predetermined position no matter his health. I think if he was going to play preseason it was always going to be the last one.

I'm used to the 4 game preseason trend of which games have starters etc.  So is game 3 still the dress reversal game or is game 3 the new game 4 where it's all about resting starters and determining final cuts for depth players?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm used to the 4 game preseason trend of which games have starters etc.  So is game 3 still the dress reversal game or is game 3 the new game 4 where it's all about resting starters and determining final cuts for depth players?

According to Lap, 3 is now 4, 2 is now 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Lap, 3 is now 4, 2 is now 3.

Interesting...I guess it's about just getting Burrow out there on the field, but you'd think they'd rather have him in during the most like an NFL game of the pre-season than put him and the line out there with 3rd string players.  This, along with ruling him out for Friday on a Monday may add to the suspicions that Burrow isn't as close to 100% as we'd have hoped.

I 'spose I mostly attribute our hesitance and disappointment to the off-season notion that Burrow would be leaps and bounds ahead of schedule in regards to the mental and physical rigors of returning from an injury.  As per usual with the Bengals it's hard to tell who is making the call on these things...is Mike Brown being extra cautious, is ZT worried about Burrow's confidence, is Burrow getting resentful about being placed in bubble wrap like he's some sort of weakling?  Maybe I'm just overthinking things.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Lap, 3 is now 4, 2 is now 3.

Lapham is guessing... 

No one really knows how they are going to go about the pre-season eith only 3 games. I believe they will just do away with the game 4 concept because it was a useless game other than guys got to get stuff on tape before they are cut. Really teams knew their roster by game 4. I can easily see teams playing their starters a quarter Friday then a half game 3 with still 2 weeks rest until game 1.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting...I guess it's about just getting Burrow out there on the field, but you'd think they'd rather have him in during the most like an NFL game of the pre-season than put him and the line out there with 3rd string players.  This, along with ruling him out for Friday on a Monday may add to the suspicions that Burrow isn't as close to 100% as we'd have hoped.

I 'spose I mostly attribute our hesitance and disappointment to the off-season notion that Burrow would be leaps and bounds ahead of schedule in regards to the mental and physical rigors of returning from an injury.  As per usual with the Bengals it's hard to tell who is making the call on these things...is Mike Brown being extra cautious, is ZT worried about Burrow's confidence, is Burrow getting resentful about being placed in bubble wrap like he's some sort of weakling?  Maybe I'm just overthinking things.

I think it all just boils down to the fact they are still putting the oline together, WFT has one of the best D lines in the league, Joe is lighting it up in practice now, and the risks in a meaningless game are just not worth the reward. Letting him sit this one out and giving him a couple of series against Miami is the smart play. Much of this is just people being anxious to see him again. I am too. But I can wait.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:47 AM)Synric Wrote: Lapham is guessing... 

No one really knows how they are going to go about the pre-season eith only 3 games. I believe they will just do away with the game 4 concept because it was a useless game other than guys got to get stuff on tape before they are cut. Really teams knew their roster by game 4. I can easily see teams playing their starters a quarter Friday then a half game 3 with still 2 weeks rest until game 1.

Maybe. Game 4 is for determining final cuts. Game 3 was the dress rehearsal as sorts, and the starters all got game 4 off to rest, so what Lap says makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer to see him out there in at least 1 pre-season game.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it all just boils down to the fact they are still putting the oline together, WFT has one of the best D lines in the league, Joe is lighting it up in practice now, and the risks in a meaningless game are just not worth the reward. Letting him sit this one out and giving him a couple of series against Miami is the smart play. Much of this is just people being anxious to see him again. I am too. But I can wait.

I'm a bit of a fatalist, I guess.  I feel like we've been waiting for the o-line to "get right" for years now, though jettisoning Turner for Pollack is legitimate change.  A few years ago we "didn't need to get a new QB until the line was better" but we still declared Dalton done and Burrow the cure to our ills, so I had the same mindset then that I do now.  Eventually our new QB (as I said before we drafted Burrow) is going to have to play behind a less than stellar line, so why stick with Dalton until 2025?

I get it, meaningless games and all but if week 1 is his first game action in a long time then we have to brace ourselves for a season where "we don't know what he have" in ZT and Burrow and the o-line going into 2022.  We are kicking the can down the road week by week, and I get it. Er, then again we have 17+ weeks of games to see what we have so maybe we "know what we have" by the end of the season...maybe.
Reply/Quote
Here's my worry about Burrow not playing a snap in the pre-season.

Everyone's saying last year he didn't play a snap in the preseason and had a good year until he went down. Problem with that theory is if he doesn't play 1 snap of football this preseason he's 3 games behind everyone else.

I guarantee you that week 1, Mike Zimmer isnt going to put white gloves on his defense and say don't hit Burrow hard. Zimmer's defense is going to come out firing and blitzing like he did here in Cincinnati.

Burrows going to get hit sometime, so he might as well take a few hits against Miami because he may be a little shell shocked after Game 1 against Zimmer's bunch.

I agree with what most have said, If he's healthy and cleared he needs to play in game 3. If not then let Allen take us into the regular season until Joe feels comfortable with playing or Zac feels comfortable playing Burrow.
Reply/Quote