Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
No O Line Help Is Bad News
The worst O Line in NFL got no help in Rounds 1 thru 5. That's not a good thing.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Except for 1st round LT Jonah Williams.
Reply/Quote
We def didn't need a DE in Rd , they must love Fred Johnson
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
The beat writers mentioned that the team didn't view OL as bog of a need as many others suggested. Looks like that wasn't a smokescreen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I get the frustration; they are getting Williams, the signed Fulia(meh), re-signed Hopkins, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan turns a corner this season. The key is Fred Johnson they must really like them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:25 PM)J24 Wrote: I get the frustration; they are getting Williams, the signed Fulia(meh), re-signed Hopkins, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan turns a corner this season. The key is Fred Johnson they must really like them.

They also picked up Isaiah Prince and like you said XFS.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:24 PM)corpjet Wrote: We def didn't need a DE in Rd , they must love Fred Johnson

We only had 3 DE's on the roster.  It was definitely a depth need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The beat writers mentioned that the team didn't view OL as bog of a need as many others suggested. Looks like that wasn't a smokescreen.

What is a smokescreen is thinking the worst O Line in NFL the last 3 years needed no help.  They got much needed LB Tackling, but they have blown it on not getting any Blocking.  This O Line is a 2 win season O Line that could luck into a 4 win season.  Not many wins with this awful O Line, even if Williams comes on strong there are too many weak areas up front. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
One thing to consider is that Burrow is better at navigating a messy pocket than Dalton. So, while we have the same players, and Burrow will be running for his life, there is a greater chance of success as he will be better at making something happen when the protection breaks down.

Still would have loved at least one lineman to add to the mix in the earlier rounds. Still hoping we can get someone through trade but we will see.
Reply/Quote
I would have liked a trade up into the end of the 4th for a guard, tackle or C/G Biadasz. The prospect of having three lineman that could play center if needed intrigued me. Another tackle or guard for depth would've been nice too. Obviously they really feel comfortable with what they have, or maybe didn't see the value there at the offensive line position group.

It seems like they liked the DE Kareem, as they didn't waste any time picking him. From watching a couple youtube videos of his game tape ten minutes ago: He plays his position well, but he's not really a good pass rusher. He doesn't have the speed to beat a running back to the sideline. I didn't see him in coverage once. He was a team captain, and has good size. Maybe they want to use him as a 3-4 DE? Overall I don't know what to think about this pick. How often do we nail 5th round picks though?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:40 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I would have liked a trade up into the end of the 4th for a guard, tackle or C/G Biadasz. The prospect of having three lineman that could play center if needed intrigued me. Another tackle or guard for depth would've been nice too. Obviously they really feel comfortable with what they have, or maybe didn't see the value there at the offensive line position group.

It seems like they liked the DE Kareem, as they didn't waste any time picking him. From watching a couple youtube videos of his game tape ten minutes ago: He plays his position well, but he's not really a good pass rusher. He doesn't have the speed to beat a running back to the sideline. I didn't see him in coverage once. He was a team captain, and has good size. Maybe they want to use him as a 3-4 DE? Overall I don't know what to think about this pick. How often do we nail 5th round picks though?

This is the drew sample of this draft.  Luckily it came in the 5th this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown said of Montoya and Zeitler, " Why should I pay a Guard ". Mike Brown also let Whitworth go.

Paul Brown understood the need for O Line Blocking. Mike Brown never has, never will.

So what is happening in this draft is the same old, same old. As good blockers go off the board, the Mike Brown Bengals still feel they don't need Blocking. On this, Mike Brown has always been wrong.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:35 PM)kevin Wrote: What is a smokescreen is thinking the worst O Line in NFL the last 3 years needed no help.  They got much needed LB Tackling, but they have blown it on not getting any Blocking.  This O Line is a 2 win season O Line that could luck into a 4 win season.  Not many wins with this awful O Line, even if Williams comes on strong there are too many weak areas up front. 

So, bringing in new starters for 1/3 of your Offensive Line to you isn't doing anything for the Line?

Please Please Please stop forgetting that they are basically bringing in another 1st Round Left Tackle Pick to their OL already!!!
A #11 pick with a year of NFL experience, a consummate Pro, who didn't give up a single Sack at LT for ALABAMA his Senior Year.

In Xavier, he was a 2nd round Draft choice with 4 years experience playing with one of the Best rushing teams in the league the last 3 years. He did a heck of a job every time his number was called. Their Rushing numbers were even better when he was in there than before Williams got injured.

Michael Jordan gets the chance to turn a corner with a year under his belt, I've seen his Off season workouts. He should be Improved.

Supposedly, Billy Price is injury free for the first time in an off season and his workouts have been reported as Beastly.

There will be vast improvement to the OL and I'm sure the Bengals coaching staff knows more than we do about the state of their OL than any of us do at this point.
Reply/Quote
Here is something to throw into your pot. don't be surprised in the 6th when they draft Weaver or Bachie at linebacker. lol

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:17 PM)kevin Wrote: The worst O Line in NFL got no help in Rounds 1 thru 5.  That's not a good thing.

Jonah Williams will be starting LT.  Xaver Su'a'filo, Guard, was signed in free agency.  I expect we'll add some others next two picks and UDFAs.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:00 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Jonah Williams will be starting LT.  Xaver Su'a'filo, Guard, was signed in free agency.  I expect we'll add some others next two picks and UDFAs.

I'll give you Jonah, but XSF is nothing to write home about.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:58 PM)Okeana Wrote: Here is something to throw into your pot.  don't be surprised in the 6th when they draft Weaver or Bachie at linebacker.   lol

Agreed!! Lmao!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:02 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'll give you Jonah, but XSF is nothing to write home about.
I'm definitely calling him XSF from now on.  All those apostrophes are a pain to type.  
Reply/Quote

There was marked improvement in Harts game as well as the Oline as a whole at the end of the season.

Relax

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:58 PM)Okeana Wrote: Here is something to throw into your pot.  don't be surprised in the 6th when they draft Weaver or Bachie at linebacker.   lol

If they throw that into the pot, it doesn't even make a good smoke screen.  Mike Brown just never has understood the need for Blockers as his winning Dad did. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote