Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Timetable on when AJ Green will practice
(11-17-2019, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If Green was milking the injury then why even return to practice?

The fact is you have no idea what is gouinbg on with his ankle.  

I dont know if he was or not but if he was cleared by the medical staff and didnt at least try the team could fine him his game check for every week he didnt go. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 01:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: How'd that work out for him? Gutsy, yes.... AJ knows for well the same thing could happen to him, especially if he is playing at less than 100%.

If every player on this team had the same attitude we wouldn't be able to field a team.

Imagine every player in the last few games with a brace (ie WJIII), cast (ie Webb) or anything else to help with an injury not playing because they're not 100%. We wouldn't have a team. 

I'm pretty well of AJ at this point. What good is a star WR that doesn't play. Whatever the reason is. Time to move on and let him go sit on someone elses sideline.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green has now missed 23 games and counting since the start of the 2016 season.
That's nearly 40% of games that were missed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I believe AJ will not play this year and will be looking for a new team in 2020. He is not going to risk further injury for a lost season. He will move on and the Bengals will get absolutely nothing for it. It truly is baffling how inept this franchise is.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 11:40 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: I believe AJ will not play this year and will be looking for a new team in 2020. He is not going to risk further injury for a lost season. He will move on and the Bengals will get absolutely nothing for it. It truly is baffling how inept this franchise is.

So the franchise would look better if they gave a aging oft injured WR a contract with no guarantee he would ever return  to previous success. He has missed 10 games with a sprained freaking ankle. He has collected 20+ million over the last contract without contributing anything. Franchise him for 2020 . That will give him 18 mil guaranteed and let him prove that he is an elite receiver and deserves another contract.  The team owes the fans the opportunity to see their favorite player over the last decade get another chance here.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 11:40 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: I believe AJ will not play this year and will be looking for a new team in 2020. He is not going to risk further injury for a lost season. He will move on and the Bengals will get absolutely nothing for it. It truly is baffling how inept this franchise is.

I feel like if he were just saying "pay me to sit on the bench so I don't mess up my next contract with a different team" that wouldn't sit well with Mike "it's not my job to trade players and make other teams better" Brown, so I can't see that being ok.  Finley is drowning in there and we have a ho-hum vet on the sidelines in Dalton who could have won the Raiders game with semi-competent play and AJ is on to month 4 of his non-IRed injury...I'm starting to think of this as a bit of an intentional yet passive sort of "see what we've got in the young guys" style tank going on.

Even the tanking Dolphins put in Fitzpatrick when it was clear Rosen wasn't the better option.  They didn't say "We need to see what we have in Rosen because he could be the future" and then watch him drown week in and week out.  I'm not saying Finley is hopeless, but the guy starting over a healthy Dalton is good way to help us lose, is all.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 12:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I feel like if he were just saying "pay me to sit on the bench so I don't mess up my next contract with a different team" that wouldn't sit well with Mike "it's not my job to trade players and make other teams better" Brown, so I can't see that being ok.  Finley is drowning in there and we have a ho-hum vet on the sidelines in Dalton who could have won the Raiders game with semi-competent play and AJ is on to month 4 of his non-IRed injury...I'm starting to think of this as a bit of an intentional yet passive sort of "see what we've got in the young guys" style tank going on.

Even the tanking Dolphins put in Fitzpatrick when it was clear Rosen wasn't the better option.  They didn't say "We need to see what we have in Rosen because he could be the future" and then watch him drown week in and week out.  I'm not saying Finley is hopeless, but the guy starting over a healthy Dalton is good way to help us lose, is all.

If this is some sort of incognito tank job going on, it would be the smartest thing I've seen out of this organization in a long time. Now if they could just flip some of these veterans for picks they might have a punchers chance at competence.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 01:43 PM)HuDey Wrote: If this is some sort of incognito tank job going on, it would be the smartest thing I've seen out of this organization in a long time. Now if they could just flip some of these veterans for picks they might have a punchers chance at competence.

I feel like they tried to win up until the Bye week...then when they put in Finley they knew they couldn't win.

Is that tanking? I don't know...because they didn't win with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 01:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like they tried to win up until the Bye week...then when they put in Finley they knew they couldn't win.

Is that tanking? I don't know...because they didn't win with Dalton.

Yeah, but Dalton would be better than Finley...you can't look at a game where Finley played abysmal football and we lost by 7 points and say "Well, out average vet QB wouldn't have done any better" with a straight face.  Again, I don't care that Dalton is benched and this year is cooked either way, but Finley is playing so badly so far that he's making 2019 bad Dalton look pretty damn good.

Now I'm back to thinking that playing Finley and letting him flop because he's in a hopeless situation is going to "prove" that we need to keep Dalton around.  Oooh lordy.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but Dalton would be better than Finley...you can't look at a game where Finley played abysmal football and we lost by 7 points and say "Well, out average vet QB wouldn't have done any better" with a straight face.  Again, I don't care that Dalton is benched and this year is cooked either way, but Finley is playing so badly so far that he's making 2019 bad Dalton look pretty damn good.

Now I'm back to thinking that playing Finley and letting him flop because he's in a hopeless situation is going to "prove" that we need to keep Dalton around.  Oooh lordy.

I think there were some improvements in the running game...but that stuff is hidden because we've downgraded at QB. Funny how we do stuff like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think there were some improvements in the running game...but that stuff is hidden because we've downgraded at QB. Funny how we do stuff like that.

Maybe we should bench Mixon and play some RB that will take us back to getting 1.3 YPC carry because "we aren't winning with Mixon, anyways."  I'm used to the Bengals underwhelming, but this whole situation and the player status this year is just getting bizarre.  The idea that Mike Brown would refuse to trade AJ Green but is ok with paying him to sit the bench so he doesn't hurt himself and can't sign with another team next year is just....ida know, this is all just crazy and crappy.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe we should bench Mixon and play some RB that will take us back to getting 1.3 YPC carry because "we aren't winning with Mixon, anyways."  I'm used to the Bengals underwhelming, but this whole situation and the player status this year is just getting bizarre.  The idea that Mike Brown would refuse to trade AJ Green but is ok with paying him to sit the bench so he doesn't hurt himself and can't sign with another team next year is just....ida know, this is all just crazy and crappy.

Right. IF we were tanking, you trade for more picks.

The Green situation makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 04:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Right. IF we were tanking, you trade for more picks.

Not necessarily.

Unless you have the kind of guy who will get a first rounder or multiple picks in return you don't gain a lot by creating a new hole in the roster in exchange for a mid round pick.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not necessarily.

Unless you have the kind of guy who will get a first rounder or multiple picks in return you don't gain a lot by creating a new hole in the roster in exchange for a mid round pick.

I see the logic in that, but as much as we didn't create holes by trading Green or Dalton they're on the bench doing nothing and probably aren't going to be too eager to stick around next year.  I guess we could trade them in the off-season, but it seems like at the moment we have accrued no picks and yet created holes anyways.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not necessarily.

The value for Dalton will probably be higher in the spring when teams who have major issues at QB and little chance to get one in the draft. Alot of people say we should have traded him before the deadline but no one really knows what was offered
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The value for Dalton will probably be higher in the spring when teams who have major issues at QB and little chance to get one in the draft. Alot of people say we should have traded him before the deadline but no one really knows what was offered

I don't know. There are about 5 good QB's in the draft atleast. Teams can just draft a new one.

Hard to say though. All it takes is one team to really like Andy.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 04:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Right. IF we were tanking, you trade for more picks.

The Green situation makes no sense.

Nobody was trading for Green if he couldn't pass a physical and/or sign a contract extension. I get the sense AJ doesn't want to be traded.  He either wants the Bengals to pay him or he wants to be an UFA.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 01:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: Nobody was trading for Green if he couldn't pass a physical and/or sign a contract extension. I get the sense AJ doesn't want to be traded.  He either wants the Bengals to pay him or he wants to be an UFA.  

If he can’t pass a physical then he isn’t milking his injury. If he is milking his injury, as you claim, then he should be able to pass a physical. And trades are contingent upon players passing a physical, but teams can waive that clause. So if a team did trade picks for AJ and he failed the physical then the trade is void and the other team would retain their picks. Plus there aren’t any medical standards to NFL physicals. So that’s why Drew Brees flunked the Dolphins physical and passed the Saints physical. And if a team wants to pass a player who failed the physical they will, e.g. Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers, avascular necrosis of the hip.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 11:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ Green has now missed 23 games and counting since the start of the 2016 season.
That's nearly 40% of games that were missed.

So far the last three and a half years he has earned 1.6 million for every start. Don't you feel sorry for him. Doesn't that make you want to call MB a miser for not resigning this diva and his coming out party. He has made 90mil while here and has been paid well. While I don't know what the negotiations were I believe AJ should sign a team friendly deal if he wants to be here . If not seeya.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 10:52 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: So far the last three and a half years he has earned 1.6 million for every start. Don't you feel sorry for him. Doesn't that make you want to call MB a miser for not resigning this diva and his coming out party. He has made 90mil while here and has been paid well. While I don't know what the negotiations were I believe AJ should sign a team friendly deal if he wants to be here . If not seeya.

Oy, the idea of a player signing a team-friendly deal to play for the worst team in the league and a front office that proudly sticks to a proven formula of abject failure highlighted with the occasional 12th place finish is just a hoot. How did that team-friendly deal work for Dalton? He seems to be sitting the bench behind a QB who has yet to find his ass with both hands, but I guess it's only been 2 starts.
Reply/Quote