No - Make this a prove it year?
21.05%
12 21.05%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jonah Williams - On Notice
(05-03-2022, 04:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good point.  Burrow does not climb the pocket enough.  I forget the person but someone watched all of Burrow's sacks and estimated that maybe 20% were due to his lack of climbing the pocket, or holding ball to make a play but that is also what makes Burrow who he is as QB. He will take the hit to make a play for his team.  

Another interesting stat: NFL teams lose about 4.5 expected points from sacks per game; it is about 15-20% more value loss for sacks compared to INT.    

Nevertheless, according to Ian Rapoport,  PFF ranked Jonah Williams No. 32 at OT in NFL.  Williams missed 22 games his first two years with 2021 as his first full year.  The latter sentence can be interpreted a couple ways, one, Williams missed several games his first two years and still is learning, hence has potential to improve.  Another interpretation is that Williams has an injury history so health is a factor consideration with regards to a second contract.  

Yeah, some sacks were Joe holding on too long, but you don't wanna rein him in too much, as that's part of his game. Making the big play. 

As to climbing the pocket, we had a lot of problems with pressure up the gut and from the right side of the line. In other words, the pocket wasn't there too many times. My hope is that was corrected via FA.

You're on to something in the last paragraph. Last year was Jonah's first full season at the hardest oline position. He'll continue to improve because the guy is a film junkie like his QB. I think the best is yet to come.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 10:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, some sacks were Joe holding on too long, but you don't wanna rein him in too much, as that's part of his game. Making the big play. 

Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger took too many sacks on their way to the Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger took too many sacks on their way to the Hall of Fame.

Right. You don't want to take away what makes him Joe Burrow. There are going to be sacks with his style of play. We just need to minimize the sacks that aren't due to that. I think we will.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 10:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right. You don't want to take away what makes him Joe Burrow. There are going to be sacks with his style of play. We just need to minimize the sacks that aren't due to that. I think we will.

True that Wyche. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 10:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right. You don't want to take away what makes him Joe Burrow. There are going to be sacks with his style of play. We just need to minimize the sacks that aren't due to that. I think we will.

Indeed. Burrow's willingness (stubbornness?) to try to extend plays can result in more sacks than necessary.
The OL needs to focus on not having pure turnstyles though to at least give Burrow 3-5 seconds before a defender gets on him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Indeed. Burrow's willingness (stubbornness?) to try to extend plays can result in more sacks than necessary.
The OL needs to focus on not having pure turnstyles though to at least give Burrow 3-5 seconds before a defender gets on him.

Exactly this....

Reply/Quote