Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina House Passes Bill Voiding All Local LGBT Nondiscrimination Ordinances
(04-11-2016, 10:46 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Any polls out there of what women in general think of this? It is their bathrooms afterall. If a transgender girl2boy wanted to use same bathroom I am using, I could care less. But since it is the other way around, I think women should have more of a say in the matter. Just my 2cents.

All the women I know agree that they don't care what sex the person is.  If people in women's restrooms (either gay women or transgender males) are exposing themselves to children or peeking into stalls then those people needs to be punished.
(04-12-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All the women I know agree that they don't care what sex the person is.  If people in women's restrooms (either gay women or transgender males) are exposing themselves to children or peeking into stalls then those people needs to be punished.

and in those situations, it would happen whether or not they were legally allowed to be in said restroom in the first place
People suck
(04-12-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All the women I know agree that they don't care what sex the person is.  If people in women's restrooms (either gay women or transgender males) are exposing themselves to children or peeking into stalls then those people needs to be punished.

(04-12-2016, 01:01 PM)Griever Wrote: and in those situations, it would happen whether or not they were legally allowed to be in said restroom in the first place

Which leads back to Larry's question about *why* there  needs to be a law allowing it.

If it is legally allowed there will be less fuss about it happening and the ones who are there for nefarious purposes would have tried it anyway without any law.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

OK that's 4 ugly women down, we'll have to wait on the rest of the population to chime in and maybe answer the question asked.

I'm not sure anyone would be OK with flashing children or peeping into stalls; however, I see it's all you got and you're gonna roll with it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-12-2016, 01:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK that's 4 ugly women down, we'll have to wait on the rest of the population to chime in and maybe answer the question asked.

I'm not sure anyone would be OK with flashing children or peeping into stalls; however, I see it's all you got and you're gonna roll with it.

Of course no one is OK with that.

It's just that the laws allowing people to use the gender they identify with has nothing to do with it.  So all the hubbub and special sessions to outlaw it seems illy and wrong.

Anyway....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article68401147.html

Quote:In a one-day specially convened session Wednesday, North Carolina’s legislature passed a sweeping law that reverses a Charlotte ordinance that had extended some rights to people who are gay or transgender.

The law passed by the General Assembly and signed that same night by Gov. Pat McCrory goes further than a narrow elimination of Charlotte’s ordinance, which had generated the most controversy by a change that protected transgender people who use public restrooms based on their gender identity. The new law also nullified local ordinances around the state that would have expanded protections for the LGBT community.

The state has long had laws regulating workplace discrimination, use of public accommodations, minimum wage standards and other business issues. The new law – known as HB2, the Charlotte bathroom bill or, more officially, as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act – makes it illegal for cities to expand upon those state laws, as more than a dozen cities had done including Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham.

North Carolina’s new law sets a statewide definition of classes of people who are protected against discrimination: race, religion, color, national origin, age, handicap or biological sex as designated on a person’s birth certificate. Sexual orientation – people who are gay – was never explicitly protected under state law and is not now, despite recent court decisions that legalized same-sex marriage.

[READ MORE: In Tim Moore’s Cleveland County, a different view on HB2]
[READ MORE: Head of LGBT rights group named to legislature]

Transgender people who have not taken surgical and legal steps to change the gender noted on their birth certificates have no legal right under state law to use public restrooms of the gender with which they identify. Cities and counties no longer can establish a different standard. Critics of the Charlotte ordinance cite privacy concerns and say it was “social engineering” to allow people born as biological males to enter women’s restrooms.

McCrory’s office says businesses aren’t limited by the bill, and that private companies and private universities can adopt new or keep existing nondiscrimination policies. Private businesses can establish their own practices concerning LGBT employees and customers; the new law does not allow so-called “public policy common law” complaints in state courts to challenge those practices.
Here are additional questions and answers about the new law:

Does HB2 affect rights of people who aren’t gay or transgender?

Yes. The law limits how people pursue claims of discrimination because of race, religion, color, national origin, biological sex or handicap in state courts. The law also means a city or county cannot set a minimum wage standard for private employers.

Are other states taking the same approach?
Yes, some states also are considering new laws aimed at blocking specific LGBT rights. The national headquarters of the ACLU describes North Carolina’s HB2 as the “most extreme anti-LGBT measure in the country.” Some legal experts say the N.C. bill combines elements of laws in other states that make it more comprehensive. South Dakota’s legislature passed a bill focused specifically on public schools; that bill was vetoed by the governor, the ACLU said. States that recently have proposed similar measures include Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia, experts say.

How soon will HB2 be challenged in court?
Advocacy groups, including the ACLU and Equality North Carolina, say they will soon take legal action. State ACLU legal director Chris Brook said Friday that a federal lawsuit by his group and others will be filed within days, not weeks. How quickly those expected lawsuits will be resolved is not yet known. Challenges to Amendment 1, the state’s constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, were filed shortly after it was passed in 2012, and were resolved in 2014. A lawsuit by a group of Charlotte lawyers is pending against North Carolina’s law passed in 2015 that allows magistrates and register of deeds employees to decline to handle same-sex marriages based on conflict with their spiritual beliefs.

What federal protections exist for workplace discrimination for LGBT employees?
There is no federal law that specifically prohibits discrimination against LGBT citizens in their jobs. The Employment Nondiscrimination Act that would do so has been proposed for many years, but has not passed.

Can someone be fired in North Carolina for being gay or transgender?

Yes. North Carolina is an “at will” employment state and offers limited protection for all workers. State law has never included protections for workers who are LGBT. The language in HB2 makes it more clear that the state does not intend to create a new class of protections based on sexual orientation or identity, and also will not allow cities and counties to create such a protected class.

How does HB2 affect schools?
North Carolina now requires students to use public school restrooms and locker rooms based on the gender on their birth certificates. It is not yet clear how that reconciles with the federal Title IX law that prohibits discrimination in all school programs. The federal government includes sexual identity and orientation under the broader category of sex discrimination, says Charlotte attorney John Wester. That sets up a potential collision involving hundreds of millions of federal education dollars that flow into the state’s school systems, colleges and universities.

Where is public opinion in North Carolina on LGBT rights?
In 2012, a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage passed with more than 60 percent of the vote. A June 2015 poll from the Democrat-leading Public Policy Polling of Raleigh showed that 44 percent of state residents supported same-sex marriage, with 46 percent opposed. Last April, an Elon University poll found that 63 percent of the state’s registered voters disagreed with the state’s magistrate law. The same poll showed that 51 percent of Republicans supported a business’ right to deny service to customers based on religious objections.

What are some of the political factors driving this?
Conservative religious groups within North Carolina are taking some credit for getting HB2 passed into law, and pro-LGBT rights advocates note there is financial support from national groups with similar interests. Many also believe gay and transgender issues are being used by politicians to motivate voters in a presidential election year. In North Carolina, both Republicans and Democrats are using HB2 as a rallying point for supporters.

Southern Evangelical Seminary president Richard Land says the situation may also indicate a growing anger in the country on both the left and right. “I don’t like the form the revolution is taking,” he said. “Donald Trump is coarse and crude and frankly, dangerous, but I understand what is behind it. ...The establishment in Washington shows signs of existing more for its own benefit than for the people they were elected to serve.”

How did Democrats vote on HB2?
The vote in the N.C. House was 84-25 after three hours of debate, with all Republicans voting for it and 11 Democrats breaking ranks with their party to support the bill. In the Senate, the vote was 32-0 after the Democrats walked out in protest, saying they had not been allowed to participate in the process. Gov. Pat McCrory, a Republican, then signed it into law.

Is the NBA All-Star game the only sports event reacting negatively to the bill?
No. Both the NCAA, which has men’s basketball tournament games planned in North Carolina in 2017 and 2018, and the CIAA, which has hosted its annual basketball tournament in Charlotte since 2006, say they’re “monitoring the situation.” And cable network ESPN, which has been considering Charlotte as a contender for its summer X Games, said it embraces “diversity and inclusion and will evaluate all of our options” as it seeks the next site for the extreme-sports event.

Could this hurt economic development in North Carolina?
It’s too soon to tell. Major employers in North Carolina – American Airlines, Lowe’s, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, to name a few – all have said they’re disappointed with the measure, though they haven’t threatened to pull out from the state. Some business leaders say the new law could feed a perception that North Carolina isn’t inclusive, which could jeopardize employee recruitment and economic development.

If boycotts happen, do they work?
South Carolina was the subject of many boycotts for flying the Confederate flag at the state capitol. The NAACP announced a national boycott of the state in 2000. Tourism officials estimated the state lost $7 million in the first month as groups from the NCAA to the American Bar Association joined the protest. The loss of sporting events alone cost Columbia, Charleston and Greenville-Spartanburg millions of dollars every year, reports say. The flag was removed last year not because of boycotts, but after the shocking mass killings at a Charleston church that appear to have been racially motivated.

Haven’t cities other than Charlotte expanded nondiscrimination ordinances?
Charlotte’s ordinance was the first of its kind in North Carolina. Three South Carolina cities have similar ordinances: Columbia, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. They’re written differently, but “conceptually are identical” to what Charlotte did, city attorney Bob Hagemann has said. Those South Carolina cities and more than 200 other cities around the nation where similar ordinances exist have not reported problems with transgender bathroom use.

"Bathroom Bill"   Smirk
(04-12-2016, 01:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not sure anyone would be OK with flashing children or peeping into stalls; however, I see it's all you got and you're gonna roll with it.

Actually that lame argument was all YOU had.
(04-12-2016, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that lame argument was all YOU had.

Not the famous "I'm rubber you're glue" retort.

Brilliant

Heard Deutsche Bank decided not to expand in the state now.
(04-12-2016, 06:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Heard Deutsche Bank decided not to expand in the state now.

"Wait!  Don't take your money!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/north-carolina-gov-pat-mccory-vows-to-revise-transgender-law-1460491573?mod=e2fb

Quote:North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory Seeks to Roll Back Limits on Antibias Protections in Transgender Bill

Move comes after some corporations dropped plans to invest in state in protest

RALEIGH, N. C.—Republican Gov. Pat McCrory said Tuesday that he will seek to roll back some provisions of a new state law that [/url]limits antidiscrimination protections for lesbians, gays and transgender people in an attempt to “affirm and improve” the state’s commitment to equality after weeks of protest, including some corporations dropping plans to invest in North Carolina.

But Mr. McCrory said he was standing by a “common-sense” provision of the law requiring transgender people to use the public bathroom corresponding to the sex on their birth certificate.

READ MORE

Mr. McCrory issued an executive order that sought to unwind and clarify aspects of a law he signed March 23. He affirmed the ability of private businesses and local government entities to establish their own antidiscrimination policies for their employees and expanded state equal employment policy to include sexual orientation.

“I know these actions will not totally satisfy everyone,” said Mr. McCrory, in a video statement. “But the vast majority of our citizens want common sense solutions to complex issues.”

LGBT advocacy groups said the executive order doesn’t go far enough—and that they are still seeking full repeal of the law.
“The governor’s action are an insufficient response to a terrible, misguided law that continues to harm LGBT people on a daily basis,” said Sarah Warbelow, legal director at Human Rights Campaign. “The North Carolina Legislature must act to right this wrong as swiftly as possible.”

Earlier Tuesday, the German bank Deutsche Bank AG said it is pulling the plug on plans to add 250 new jobs outside Raleigh, in protest of the new law. North Carolina-based Deutsche Bank employees raised concerns about the law within the bank, according to a person familiar with the matter.

PayPal Holdings
 Inc. previously scrapped plans for a new, 400-employee expansion in Charlotte, the state’s biggest city, and officials from more than 100 other companies, including Apple Inc., have also objected to the law.

Mr. McCrory said he is shocked at [url=http://www.wsj.com/articles/opponents-of-north-carolinas-transgender-law-pressure-governor-to-repeal-it-1459462686]the backlash, particularly since transgender issues weren’t on many people’s radar until last summer when Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as the Olympic athlete Bruce Jenner, revealed her new identity.

“Who would’ve thought?” Mr. McCrory said, in an interview last week. “I can’t believe we’re talking about this.”

Mr. McCrory said in a statement Tuesday that he would ask the legislature later this month to adopt legislation reinstating the right to sue in state court for discrimination. The new law prevented people from pursuing state court claims of wrongful termination on the grounds of discrimination based on age, gender or religion. Employment lawyers say the change affects thousands of people a year, who now must seek redress through the slower, more costly avenue of federal court.

Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger, an architect of the law, said in a statement that Mr. McCrory was putting “to rest the left’s lies” about the law and standing up to political opponents who want to allow “any man into any women’s bathroom or locker room at any time simply by claiming to feel like a woman.”

Mr. Berger didn't immediately respond to comment on whether he supported Mr. McCrory’s call for reversing the change to state court law.

As a side note:  I made the accusation observation before that when ever these things come up it is always about the men:

"Gay marriage is bad!  It's not Adam and Steve!"
"Men will attack women in the bathroom!!"

I just find it humorous. 
(04-12-2016, 07:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: "Wait!  Don't take your money!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/north-carolina-gov-pat-mccory-vows-to-revise-transgender-law-1460491573?mod=e2fb

As a side note:  I made the accusation observation before that when ever these things come up it is always about the men:

"Gay marriage is bad!  It's not Adam and Steve!"
"Men will attack women in the bathroom!!"

I just find it humorous. 

Yeah, I guess paypal will have to stop doing business in the 25 countries that they currently do, where homosexuality is a crime, with 5 of those countries allowing punishment to be death...

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/rev-graham-paypal-hypocrite-does-business-countries-where-homosexual-behavior

Let alone the fact that they have a HQ in Plano TX.  Are they going to close that facility?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-12-2016, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I guess paypal will have to stop doing business in the 25 countries that they currently do, where homosexuality is a crime, with 5 of those countries allowing punishment to be death...

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/rev-graham-paypal-hypocrite-does-business-countries-where-homosexual-behavior

Let alone the fact that they have a HQ in Plano TX.  Are they going to close that facility?

I keep on hearing about the country comparison for Pay Pal, which is really faulty logic. If Pay Pal doesn't open a center in NC and instead in another state on the eastern seaboard, not much of a difference in their operation. For countries, they may need an infrastructure there to operate at all which is about the customers. All of this not forgetting that their locations are currently almost entirely inherited from when they were the child company of eBay, and so this could be representative of the management ideals of the company now instead of those from eBay.
(04-12-2016, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I guess paypal will have to stop doing business in the 25 countries that they currently do, where homosexuality is a crime, with 5 of those countries allowing punishment to be death...

Don't tell me...tell Gov Drysdale down there in NC.  He's afraid the Clampetts are gonna take their money out his bank!
(04-12-2016, 08:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Don't tell me...tell Gov Drysdale down there in NC.  He's afraid the Clampetts are gonna take their money out his bank!

A little ironic that one who defends "anti discrimination", would choose to use disparaging words to generalize a people.  Don't ya think? Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-12-2016, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A little ironic that one who defends "anti discrimination", would choose to use disparaging words to generalize a people.  Don't ya think? Wink

Saying he loves his money more than his "ethics" or "morals" is discrimination?

Nervous
(04-12-2016, 09:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: Saying he loves his money more than his "ethics" or "morals" is discrimination?

Nervous

Nope, but using a Beverly Hillbillies reference, in regard to the Gov. of the Great State of NC, certainly is.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-13-2016, 12:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nope, but using a Beverly Hillbillies reference, in regard to the Gov. of the Great State of NC, certainly is.

Calling him this guy:
[Image: ShowPictureTV.asp?ID=135]

...and saying he loves money like him is "discriminating"?   
(04-13-2016, 12:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nope, but using a Beverly Hillbillies reference, in regard to the Gov. of the Great State of NC, certainly is.

You do realize that the character he compared the governor to is not one of the hillbillies, right? You realize that he was speaking about one person and about his recent actions, so it is not a generalization, right? I think you might have missed the point in his post if you are calling it a generalization or discrimination.
Gov. Terry McAuliffe is making a move to welcome Pay Pal to Virginia. This will be interesting because we don't have protections codified for the LGBT community, as far as I know. But, the Gov vetoed our "freedom of religion" law. The VADoRF is all we need.

swing and a miss
People suck
Folks hate when Wall Street controls politics until they influence something they believe in.

It saddens me that a state must go against the will of its people to ensure its financial prosperity.