Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina House Passes Bill Voiding All Local LGBT Nondiscrimination Ordinances

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-13-2016, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks hate when Wall Street controls politics until they influence something they believe in.

It saddens me that a state must go against the will of its people to ensure its financial prosperity.

People only oppose the influence of Wall Street when the influence is self serving and does nothing but promote the interests of Wall Street.

I think it is wonderful when a company does something the promotes freedom and opposes discrimination.  This is the complete opposite of a company using its influence to promote its own profit at the expense of taxpayers or the environment.
(04-13-2016, 10:41 AM)GMDino Wrote:

Smirk

Dear God....he's annoying.
He may also be in denial.

I do agree with the urinal rule though.
You have to afford the bro-gap, if possible.
(04-13-2016, 10:41 AM)GMDino Wrote:

Smirk

100% agree that people should be more aware of the comfort zones of other people.

100% disagree that this is only a problem with poorly dressed men that don't "manscape".  I have seen plenty of well-dressed and trimmed men who are a little too proud of being naked around other people.
(04-13-2016, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 100% agree that people should be more aware of the comfort zones of other people.

100% disagree that this is only a problem with poorly dressed men that don't "manscape".  I have seen plenty of well-dressed and trimmed men who are a little too proud of being naked around other people.

Go to any YMCA or similar training gym facility during the day and marvel at the complete lack of shame possessed by elderly men.  ThumbsUp
(04-13-2016, 11:53 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Go to any YMCA or similar training gym facility during the day and marvel at the complete lack of shame possessed by elderly men.  ThumbsUp

Oh, I do.

All the time.
(04-13-2016, 11:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh, I do.

All the time.

As soon as I retire, I'm spending every single day at my nearest YMCA (or similar facility) and spending the entire day in the lockerroom, bare-ass naked stretching as if I'm about to start a workout or I'm finishing up one. 
(04-13-2016, 12:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: As soon as I retire, I'm spending every single day at my nearest YMCA (or similar facility) and spending the entire day in the lockerroom, bare-ass naked stretching as if I'm about to start a workout or I'm finishing up one. 

Not just in the locker room.

Wear these type of shorts 

[Image: img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=25224549]

then hang around the bench press offering to spot everyone

[Image: benchpress-spotter2.jpg]
(04-13-2016, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not just in the locker room.

Wear these type of shorts 

[Image: img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=25224549]

then hang around the bench press offering to spot everyone

[Image: benchpress-spotter2.jpg]

You probably already realize this but I'm hairy like Robin Williams down there, so it would be even better for those I'm spotting.
(04-13-2016, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks hate when Wall Street controls politics until they influence something they believe in.

It saddens me that a state must go against the will of its people to ensure its financial prosperity.

They don't need to. I'm sure there are companies out there that would agree and the state can court them. I don't agree with the bill in question, but I think a government caving to business interests like that is bull shit. If it is to be repealed it should be because of legal reasons, not because it hurts their checkbook.

until that states violates something on the federal like it did with Title IX

http://www.glsen.org/article/dept-ed-title-ix-protects-trans-students
People suck
(04-13-2016, 02:11 PM)Griever Wrote: until that states violates something on the federal like it did with Title IX

http://www.glsen.org/article/dept-ed-title-ix-protects-trans-students

Not familiar with glsen. So I'll wait to get home to click the link.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-13-2016, 03:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not familiar with glsen. So I'll wait to get home to click the link.

Quote: 

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 29, 2014—The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in the U.S. Department of Education today issued official guidance which makes clear that transgender students are protected from discrimination under Title IX. Title IX is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in federally funded education programs and activities. Specifically, the guidance states that “Title IX’s sex discrimination prohibition extends to claims of discrimination based on gender identity or failure to conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity or femininity and OCR accepts such complaints for investigation.”
The statement is part of broader guidance on sexual violence and the responsibility that schools have to protect all students. The Department has brought enforcement actions against school districts in the past on behalf of transgender students, but had not previously made such a proactive public statement about their commitment. GLSEN and other advocates for LGBT youth had long sought such a statement regarding the protections available to transgender students under Title IX to ensure that schools had no doubt as to their responsibilities.
“Make no mistake: transgender students are protected by Title IX, and the U.S. Department of Education stands ready to help them,” said GLSEN Executive Director Eliza Byard. “We thank the Department of Education, Secretary Arne Duncan and Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Catherine Lhamon for making this commitment so clear.”
Findings from GLSEN’s 2011 National School Climate Survey indicate that 80% of transgender students experience a more hostile school climate and feel unsafe at school because of who they are. While the guidance does not explicitly address specific forms of discrimination against transgender students, and while the protection is provided in the context of physical or sexual violence, Title IX protections extend to all forms of discrimination in education. 
“We must make sure that transgender students and their families know that help is available,” Byard continued, “and that they report incidents to the Office of Civil Rights at the Department of Education.
Violations of Title IX protections should be reported to the Office of Civil Rights, and GLSEN has guidance on incident reporting available here. For schools and districts needing to update their policies to protect transgender students, GLSEN has a model policy available, developed in partnership with the National Center for Transgender Equality: Model School District Policy on Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students
- See more at: http://www.glsen.org/article/dept-ed-title-ix-protects-trans-students#sthash.kHBbC9nC.dpuf
People suck
Views from a conservative news source:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/paypal-apple-coca-cola-reject-nc-bathroom-law-do-business-where-gay

Quote:Although many large businesses, including PayPal, Apple, Microsoft, and Coca-Cola, have criticized North Carolina’s new locker room and bathroom law as “discriminatory” to LGBT people, those same four corporations do business in Middle Eastern countries where homosexual conduct and cross-dressing are illegal.

In Saudi Arabia, for instance, homosexual conduct is “punishable by death or flogging,” according to the U.S. State Department. In Kuwait, practicing homosexuals can face prison terms up to 10 years; cross-dressers can go to prison for up to three years.

PayPal, Apple, Microsoft, and Coca-Cola do business in both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Despite the anti-gay laws in those two countries, neither PayPal, Apple, Microsoft, nor Coca-Cola would tell CNSNews.com if they opposed those laws; whether they would publicly ask that those laws be repealed; whether it is hypocritical for them to oppose the North Carolina law while doing business in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait; and why, since they are committed to LGBT rights, they conduct business in countries where homosexual acts and cross-dressing are illegal.

Also by cancelling his concert didn't Bruce Springsteen deny his services to a population because of their religious beliefs?

(04-15-2016, 12:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Views from a conservative news source:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/paypal-apple-coca-cola-reject-nc-bathroom-law-do-business-where-gay

Also by cancelling his concert didn't Bruce Springsteen deny his services to a population because of their religious beliefs?

I already addressed the part about the other countries a bit earlier, at least with regards to PayPal. The others, well, hard to say there. I have a feeling that for all of them it comes down to the fact that whether they add jobs in NC or VA, there isn't as much of an operational difference whereas not being in an entire country can be a huge hit to their bottom line. Pick your battles, as some like to say.

As for Springsteen, no. He is denying his services because of legislation. The legislation doesn't specify any religion, does it?
(04-15-2016, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I already addressed the part about the other countries a bit earlier, at least with regards to PayPal. The others, well, hard to say there. I have a feeling that for all of them it comes down to the fact that whether they add jobs in NC or VA, there isn't as much of an operational difference whereas not being in an entire country can be a huge hit to their bottom line. Pick your battles, as some like to say.

As for Springsteen, no. He is denying his services because of legislation. The legislation doesn't specify any religion, does it?

So you agree that the companies that are boycotting NC are showing a double-standard and being hypocritical/ I guess there's a price to their outrage.

If a Baker denies service to a gay wedding can he say he is simply denying it because of the legislation making it legal?

I agree....North Carolina, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait all the same.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(04-15-2016, 01:03 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I agree....North Carolina, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait all the same.

Personally I think Saudi and Kuwait's laws are much more severe, but we all have our opinions. I just think being killed for your sexual orientation is a little more drastic that not being able to use whichever bathroom you feel like.

(04-15-2016, 12:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you agree that the companies that are boycotting NC are showing a double-standard and being hypocritical/ I guess there's a price to their outrage.

If a Baker denies service to a gay wedding can he say he is simply denying it because of the legislation making it legal?

This logic is a total fail.

Springsteen is not opposed to religious beliefs.  He is opposed to discrimination based on religious beliefs.  

He does not care what your religious beliefs are.  All he cares about is discrimination.  He will gladly perform and take the money of any religion, but he will not accept discrimination based on those beliefs.
(04-15-2016, 12:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If a Baker denies service to a gay wedding can he say he is simply denying it because of the legislation making it legal?

Only if he agrees not to do any business at all in the state.  The state can not do anything about people who choose not to do business in their states.  But if you are going to do business in the state you have to follow the rules.