Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Not impressed with Browning
If we signed Matt Ryan or Nick Foles tomorrow, would you feel happy, sad, or indifferent?
We are still 5-5.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:27 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If we signed Matt Ryan or Nick Foles tomorrow, would you feel happy, sad, or indifferent?
We are still 5-5.

Signing Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, or even Tom Brady would be very exciting — but they don’t know the playbook. Jake Browning does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Signing Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, or even Tom Brady would be very exciting — but they don’t know the playbook.  Jake Browning does.

I'd rather have any of those guys with a vanilla offense than Browning.  Just my opinion though.

I just hate the whole giving up thing when we have $12 million in cap space. I don't think it's fair to the players or fans.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:34 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'd rather have any of those guys with a vanilla offense than Browning.  Just my opinion though.

I just hate the whole giving up thing when we have $12 million in cap space. I don't think it's fair to the players or fans.

Maybe if the Bengals had a worse record I would feel differently but I think we can do better than Jake Browning. If it were up to me I would look for a veteran free agent and prepare AJ McCarron, not Browning, to play the Steelers. AJ plays confidently and don’t forget he won championships at Alabama.

I agree with you about tanking; I don’t think it’s a good idea at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:42 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Maybe if the Bengals had a worse record I would feel differently but I think we can do better than Jake Browning.  If it were up to me I would look for a veteran free agent and prepare AJ McCarron, not Browning, to play the Steelers.  AJ plays confidently and don’t forget he won championships at Alabama.  

I agree with you about tanking; I don’t think it’s a good idea at all.

Ya, I think that's a good strategy.  Just really got to win 1 or 2 games with AJ until someone better can be brought up to speed.  Heck, maybe AJ stays the starter and we have a good backup.

Tee will be back and we have a great team otherwise.  Why give up?
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:44 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Ya, I think that's a good strategy.  Just really got to win 1 or 2 games with AJ until someone better can be brought up to speed.  Heck, maybe AJ stays the starter and we have a good backup.

Tee will be back and we have a great team otherwise.  Why give up?

Amen. I am completely AGAINST tanking!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:27 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If we signed Matt Ryan or Nick Foles tomorrow, would you feel happy, sad, or indifferent?
We are still 5-5.

Sign anybody and give them a shot. 
Sign nobody and roll with what we got. 
My needle ain't moving.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Amen.  I am completely AGAINST tanking!

And do what?  Have worse draft picks and a more difficult schedule next season when we have a legitimate chance to win the SB?  We have a chance to seriously improve the squad and that might not happen if we squeak out a few empty wins.  We have zero tie breakers so the playoffs are out.  Im sure you would have been thrilled had we completed that comeback vs Miami in 2019...... 

I hope for our young guys to gain valuable experience with no blowouts but no wins, gain better players in the draft and have the easiest schedule in the AFCN next season.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:57 PM)Destro Wrote: Sign anybody and give them a shot. 
Sign nobody and roll with what we got. 
My needle ain't moving.

Sign nobody and roll over the cash to next season and go all in with free agency cash and good draft picks...

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Signing Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Cam Newton, or even Tom Brady would be very exciting — but they don’t know the playbook.  Jake Browning does.

None of those three would be exciting. 

Matt Ryan is just old and broken.
Nick Foles was last decent 5 years ago.
Cam Newton hasn't played in 2 years and was last decent 5 years ago.

You can't keep running Browning out there, though. I could know the playbook, but that doesn't make me a better choice than someone who is actually good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Which actually might be a good thing. Would be awesome to get a top talent in the Draft to add to this team.

If the season ended right now we'd pick 14th.. Unless the rest of the league just goes to crap we likely won't be in the top 10.. Who ever thought 5 wins could leave us in the middle of the pack on draft day?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I would imagine that if there is someone better than Browning that the Bengals might take a look but in the end I think everyone knows the season is over. I think they’ll roll Browning out there and let the chips fall where they may. He didn’t blow me away against Baltimore but that is a very tough defense to come off the bench against in a primetime game where they’re out for blood.

Maybe with more time and more practice he can be serviceable. Somehow I don’t see the Bengals shelling out any more money on a season that is slowly circling the drain.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
I have no idea why folks are stating Browning is "no good". The kid has looked good in the Preseason and decent in limited time in the NFL. He had to come in cold against one of the best defenses in the NFL, in Primetime, at their house, and didn't crap the bed.

Folks who get paid to analyze players miss all the time, much less some dudes on a message board. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he craps the bed on the field.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are stating Browning is "no good". The kid has looked good in the Preseason and decent in limited time in the NFL. He had to come in cold against one of the best defenses in the NFL, in Primetime, at their house, and didn't crap the bed.

Folks who get paid to analyze players miss all the time, much less some dudes on a message board. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he craps the bed on the field.

This could be true. Browning could surprise people. He seems as mobile if not more so than JB which seems to be a must today. Lots of teams have a mobile QB that can move and find a receiver or run for a 1st down.

The talk of bringing in a FA vet seems like a reach as they won't know the playbook like Browning or AJ do now. And the talk of Brady? He is what 42 years old with his all-pro days behind him. May as well bring him in as an OC and design a new Offensive playbook attack. Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 12:23 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: This could be true. Browning could surprise people. He seems as mobile if not more so than JB which seems to be a must today. Lots of teams have a mobile QB that can move and find a receiver or run for a 1st down.

The talk of bringing in a FA vet seems like a reach as they won't know the playbook like Browning or AJ do now. And the talk of Brady? He is what 42 years old with his all-pro days behind him. May as well bring him in as an OC and design a new Offensive playbook attack. Cool

I'll admit one of the things that upsets me about this team is their reluctance to make in-season moves, but by the same token one of the things I love about this team is the culture in the locker room.

It's hard to get the second and third stringers to buy in when you're quick to bring in someone off the street when a starter goes down. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have no idea why folks are stating Browning is "no good". The kid has looked good in the Preseason and decent in limited time in the NFL. He had to come in cold against one of the best defenses in the NFL, in Primetime, at their house, and didn't crap the bed.

Some posters have declared Browning no good before he ever took a snap and have to run with that narrative. I've always wanted to see exactly how good he is with a week or two of reps with the starters. Now we get a chance. Not ideal, but at least we will know if we should keep him for next year or not. 
Reply/Quote

I don't get the horrible mobility take, he looked pretty mobil to me. 4/40 running, and I saw him make a few good escapes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:01 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: at least he wasn't captain checkdowning it up, although maybe zac will have him do that now for some reason, because he seems to like to make burrow do that who has likely a superior arm when healthy.

Post this about 275 million more times please...Read my mind.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Some posters have declared Browning no good before he ever took a snap and have to run with that narrative. I've always wanted to see exactly how good he is with a week or two of reps with the starters. Now we get a chance. Not ideal, but at least we will know if we should keep him for next year or not. 

Be nice to work the young guys that might be the future into the game plan more as well. The Battles, Yoshi, Sizzle, see what we have with these guys not saying start them but at least get them a bunch of reps. I do not expect this team to make the playoffs this year, but we can still develop some younger guys for the future.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 04:15 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Be nice to work the young guys that might be the future into the game plan more as well. The Battles, Yoshi, Sizzle, see what we have with these guys not saying start them but at least get them a bunch of reps. I do not expect this team to make the playoffs this year, but we can still develop some younger guys for the future.

I think it's time for Battle to take the starting job, but I thought that prior to this injury. The rest, yes work them in, but still play the stars because we are not out of anything yet. Remember, Watson is done for the year, Lamar is hobbled and lost Andrew for the year. There's no telling what happens in the next 7 weeks.
Reply/Quote