Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Not impressed with Browning
I expect very little from Browning. He's probably a better runner than 9, but that's about it. He was the best of two pretty unfavorable options in camp, so here we are. I don't think the staff ever really thought Trevor Siemian would be as bad as he was, but that's how it went down.

My only hope for him is that he plays better with the first team guys than he did with the backups.

I think it's borderline negligent of them to have no viable backup on the roster. Even so, Joe isn't coming back this year, so asking Browning to succeed in a meaningful way, ie a run at making the playoffs, is kind of moot. If it was about coming out with a W while Joe gets healthy and takes over, then I'd be a bit more upset at the situation. The damage is most likely done as far as the season goes.

Best case scenario: the kid is Brock Purdy 2.0 and becomes a commodity with real value both as a legitimate backup and a potential trade piece. Worst case: he plays about like he did in preseason and the Bengals are forced to take a serious look at how they evaluate backup quarterback candidates in 2024.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 05:00 PM)jason Wrote: **** it... We should just put the ball in our best player's hands as much as possible. Let Ja'Marr try to do the Taysom Hill thing.

We did that earlier in the season when Burrow's calf was dead and Browning should have been throwing to him anyway.
Reply/Quote
no shortage of confidence from Jake

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If he wins at home against the Steelers the playoff chances are alive and well, it's hard to beat the Steelers defense. At the minimum this year let's prove we are allowed to use our backup QB in situations where Burrow is not healthy.
Reply/Quote
Deer meet headlights

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I want to make the playoffs as well, but any win from here on out is basically house money, correct? So no reason for people to aneurism in the GD threads or whine about every loss till the end of the season. I think it's much better to sit and enjoy watching them play, hope they win, but really no pressure if they don't. Burrow is shut down and can focus on his calf and wrist, and try again next year. 

I do not read the GD threads lol heard bad things about them...

I agree about enjoying the game and hoping for wins...any given Sunday

I am very excited to see the youth play and develop something we have not seen much of recently

Any win is a good thing Love to see what we got in Browning for the future 

I have seen so many podcasters laugh when they mention Jake winning games for us I really hope the guy makes them all eat crow and play good. Which I think he has the tools to do if the coaches are legit.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:01 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Jake Browning is underwhelming should the coaches consider starting AJ McCarron?

FO seems to have been building up Browning the past week.  But I haven't seen McCarron play in a while.  Is he better?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 05:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: FO seems to have been building up Browning the past week.  But I haven't seen McCarron play in a while.  Is he better?

McCarron never was good. He played on a stacked Alabama team, so that made him better than Dalton in the casuals' eyes.

Browning was a two time Gatorade Player of the year in high school. He threw 92 TDs his senior year at Folsom High in California. Yes, you read that right. 92 TDs in a high school season. He threw for over 16,000 yards at Folsom. He was the first true freshman to ever start for the Washington Huskies. There he was Pac 12 OPOY in 2016. The reason he wasn't drafted was because he had a shoulder surgery his junior year, and his production dropped a little his senior year. His WRs were drafted high, and flopped (Dante Pettis was one). This guy is a lot better than people think. The shoulder surgery definitely hampered his trajectory. 

McCarron? He played on a team littered with NFL players for a HoF coach. Fumbled away our first round bye in Denver, fumbled three times and threw a pick in the 2016 playoff debacle, and because AJ Green made a good grab, fans STILL swing off that guy's nuts. LMAO  It's straight up comical. Green makes a catch from a Dalton throw, and he was propping him up. He makes a good catch on a below average throw, and "McCarron almost won us a playoff game!" Some of our fans are ****ing stupid. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 06:40 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: McCarron never was good. He played on a stacked Alabama team, so that made him better than Dalton in the casuals' eyes.

Browning was a two time Gatorade Player of the year in high school. He threw 92 TDs his senior year at Folsom High in California. Yes, you read that right. 92 TDs in a high school season. He threw for over 16,000 yards at Folsom. He was the first true freshman to ever start for the Washington Huskies. There he was Pac 12 OPOY in 2016. The reason he wasn't drafted was because he had a shoulder surgery his junior year, and his production dropped a little his senior year. His WRs were drafted high, and flopped (Dante Pettis was one). This guy is a lot better than people think. The shoulder surgery definitely hampered his trajectory. 

McCarron? He played on a team littered with NFL players for a HoF coach. Fumbled away our first round bye in Denver, fumbled three times and threw a pick in the 2016 playoff debacle, and because AJ Green made a good grab, fans STILL swing off that guy's nuts. LMAO  It's straight up comical. Green makes a catch from a Dalton throw, and he was propping him up. He makes a good catch on a below average throw, and "McCarron almost won us a playoff game!" Some of our fans are ****ing stupid. Mellow

Yes... More accurately Burfict almost won us a playoff game. Then went ahead and made sure we lost it. Even more accurate... If McCarron made 4 or 5 plays in the first 3 quarters we probably win that game going away.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 06:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: McCarron never was good. He played on a stacked Alabama team, so that made him better than Dalton in the casuals' eyes.

So you're saying Zac really sucks if he can't win with Browning against almost all backup QBs the rest of the year.
Reply/Quote
I'll never understand the hate for AJ Mc. Folks can call others stupid and all other things, but between Boomer Esiason and Joe Burrow; AJ had our highest-rated playoff game by a QB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 11:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll never understand the hate for AJ Mc. Folks can call others stupid and all other things, but between Boomer Esiason and Joe Burrow; AJ had our highest-rated playoff game by a QB.

Yeah 1 whole passer rating better than Daltons 2013 passer rating and 5 from his 2014 passer rating..... McCarron had a 68 rating. I believe 2013 was also the only time that Dalton had any kind of weapons in the playoffs also
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:07 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah 1 whole passer rating better than Daltons 2013 passer rating and 5 from his 2014 passer rating..... McCarron had a 68 rating. I believe 2013 was also the only time that Dalton had any kind of weapons in the playoffs also

What part of what I typed are you disagreeing with? 

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What part of what I typed are you disagreeing with? 

well technically Palmer had a 118 rating in 2005  Ninja

But it's not like a 68 rating is good, and saying because he had a slightly better passer rating than Dalton isn't saying much. Especially when he had way more weapons in 2015
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 12:16 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: well technically Palmer had a 118 rating in 2005  Ninja

But it's not like a 68 rating is good, and saying because he had a slightly better passer rating than Dalton isn't saying much. Especially when he had way more weapons in 2015

Unsure you understand the definition of technically (according to rule)

and nowhere did I say AJ performed "good".

Simply stated I never understood the hate and you're doing very little to help me figure it out; you're just adding to it.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 01:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure you understand the definition of technically (according to rule)

and nowhere did I say AJ performed "good".

Simply stated I never understood the hate and you're doing very little to help me figure it out; you're just adding to it.

Yeah, technically Palmer had a 118 rating in 2005
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 02:04 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah, technically Palmer had a 118 rating in 2005

Nah, technicality is why he didn't have a 118-passer rating. Perhaps you meant literally. 

Regardless, you're adding to my perplexity as to why folks hate AJ by invoking a performance that consisted of one play. 

I still don't understand it. 

Reply/Quote
I’m not saying we are going to the playoffs- but there is no reason he cannot win a few games down the stretch. Zac Taylor won a game with Ryan FInley (where is he even now?) and Brandon Allen, with much less talent than this team has. Run the offense through Chase like we did early this year.

Outside of Lawrence and Mahomes we play all bottom tier QBs. So let’s see how good this team is or is not without JB9.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 02:11 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, technicality is why he didn't have a 118-passer rating. Perhaps you meant literally. 

Regardless, you're adding to my perplexity as to why folks hate AJ by invoking a performance that consisted of one play. 

I still don't understand it. 

People really don't like AJ because he didn't play well at all when he started? He had a loaded offense and barely got 200 yards a game. We went to one of the best offenses in the league, and I believe Dalton was 1st or 2nd in passer rating before he got hurt and we had a top 5 scoring offense to an inept one.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 02:26 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m not saying we are going to the playoffs- but there is no reason he cannot win a few games down the stretch. Zac Taylor won a game with Ryan FInley (where is he even now?) and Brandon Allen, with much less talent than this team has. Run the offense through Chase like we did early this year.

Outside of Lawrence and Mahomes we play all bottom tier QBs. So let’s see how good this team is or is not without JB9.

Sorry man, this board is unified in their belief that Burrow is the love child of Montana and Manning. Anyone other than Burrow is going winless
through the rest of the year despite the fact that we should be 8-2 right now.

In reality you’re correct that TL and Mahomes are the only solid QBs on the schedule and JB6 should win 3-5 games at a minimum.

Baseline is 8-9 finish, high mark is fans are chanting for Browning when Burrow gets off to a slow start yet again in 24.
Reply/Quote