Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Not impressed with Browning
(11-17-2023, 05:49 PM)Destro Wrote: I can hate on a player as good as the next guy, but he came in cold to face the Ravens. He isn't going to be our Brett Favre, but not going to judge him very harshly on such a limited display.
He still wasn't the worst player on the field last night.

My thoughts as well.  Realistic expectations are somewhat limited here.

He certainly played better than I would imagine Brandon (self-sac) Allen play.  Allen always had that I broke mom's vase look on his face and played weak and scared.  I did not see that at all in Browning.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we see improvement from Browning after he gets the 10 days of practice and reps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:49 PM)Destro Wrote: He came in cold to face the Ravens. He isn't going to be our Brett Favre, but not going to judge him very harshly on such a limited display.
He still wasn't the worst player on the field last night.

Totally reasonable take. I concur

I’m as aggravated as anyone that the season is basically over but he did “ok” and given the hostile environment, great team he faced, top 3 D in the league and the stress of trying to replace a team’s franchise QB off the bench - he did his part.

Others needed to step up more IMO.

Kudos to Browning.
Reply/Quote
Neither of our backup Quarterbacks are NFL caliber.But,we’re stuck with them,and,knowing Mike Brown,that’s as good as it’s going to get.
Reply/Quote
**** it... We should just put the ball in our best player's hands as much as possible. Let Ja'Marr try to do the Taysom Hill thing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:25 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Browning did okay IMO on Thursday night. He will be given more practice reps this week and hopefully emerge as a stud. The real test will be Pittsburgh next Sunday.

He put as many points on the board as Burrow. And by that time, the defense couldn’t van slow the ravens down.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 04:08 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Neither of our backup Quarterbacks are NFL caliber.But,we’re stuck with them,and,knowing Mike Brown,that’s as good as it’s going to get.

We never prepare for the worst, until it’s too late.  Burrow never should have started the first 4 games, we would have had a backup ready to go, when Browning had played.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that it's a bit soon to be down on Browning.  The staff elected to make him the back up based upon what they saw in him from camp, preseason and practice.  Evidently they thought he was worth a shot, maybe we should at least give him a chance as well?

I hear ya, but Zac and this staff also thought highly of Ryan Finley.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He’s going to be fine, and although it may not be popular to say here, probably isn’t much of a downgrade for the way Burrow has been playing most of this year. Things are lining up well for a nice run and expectations are low. He’s actually a pretty solid QB just hasn’t had a shot yet. I’d rather have him than Brock or Dobbs tbh. I love the Bengals but I’ve never bought into the whole Burrow is God mantra that most seem to. He’s a good, but not great, QB who has a ton of weapons and with that and some luck was able to make a couple of playoff runs. He isn’t obsessed with football like Tom Brady. Doesn’t have the win at all costs spirit of Brett Favre. Certainly is not as cool and laid back as Joe Namath. He’s a marketable guy though and the media is pushing him as the face of the NFL and most of the fan base, understandably, bought in.

Is Browning Burrow? Obviously not, but he’s nowhere near as bad as a lot of people on here seem to believe. It’s worth pointing out that he was a Heisman candidate as a Sophomore while Burrow was riding the pine in Columbus. Things change and there’s no reason to believe he’s not capable of surprising people the same way that Burrow did when he headed to Baton Rouge. I really think the only game that’s out of reach is KC. If the D steps up, they should be in a position to win the rest. I’d especially be shocked, but no one else would, if we didn’t win out the rest of our division games. I don’t think the playoffs are out of reach at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:18 AM)WestieInDelhi Wrote: He’s going to be fine, and although it may not be popular to say here, probably isn’t much of a downgrade for the way Burrow has been playing most of this year. Things are lining up well for a nice run and expectations are low. He’s actually a pretty solid QB just hasn’t had a shot yet. I’d rather have him than Brock or Dobbs tbh. I love the Bengals but I’ve never bought into the whole Burrow is God mantra that most seem to. He’s a good, but not great, QB who has a ton of weapons and with that and some luck was able to make a couple of playoff runs. He isn’t obsessed with football like Tom Brady. Doesn’t have the win at all costs spirit of Brett Favre. Certainly is not as cool and laid back as Joe Namath. He’s a marketable guy though and the media is pushing him as the face of the NFL and most of the fan base, understandably, bought in.

Is Browning Burrow? Obviously not, but he’s nowhere near as bad as a lot of people on here seem to believe. It’s worth pointing out that he was a Heisman candidate as a Sophomore while Burrow was riding the pine in Columbus. Things change and there’s no reason to believe he’s not capable of surprising people the same way that Burrow did when he headed to Baton Rouge. I really think the only game that’s out of reach is KC. If the D steps up, they should be in a position to win the rest. I’d especially be shocked, but no one else would, if we didn’t win out the rest of our division games. I don’t think the playoffs are out of reach at all.

You joined way back in January and waited til November to make your first post, which is to make Joe Burrow sound like a glorified Andy Dalton who is largely a product of his weapons and massively overhyped?

I resent people talking him up like a god, but me thinks you're taking this a smidge too far. He's definitely in the "great" category, injuries this season aside.

Also, the "luck" thing can be said of any QB. How many did Brady win off of Vinatieri's leg? The tuck rule? Pete Carroll opting to throw at the goal line? Etc?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 08:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it's time for Battle to take the starting job, but I thought that prior to this injury. The rest, yes work them in, but still play the stars because we are not out of anything yet. Remember, Watson is done for the year, Lamar is hobbled and lost Andrew for the year. There's no telling what happens in the next 7 weeks.

I want us to make the playoffs, but we had lots of issues excluding the Burrow injury. Worried about Zacs play calling will he run the ball enough to take pressure off Browning or try to throw 45 to 50 times with Browning. Can the O line run block or pass block decently I see Pollock as a problem and think he needs replaced next year. The defense is a question mark. Will the vets support Browning or want to shut it down.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 11:47 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I want us to make the playoffs, but we had lots of issues excluding the Burrow injury. Worried about Zacs play calling will he run the ball enough to take pressure off Browning or try to throw 45 to 50 times with Browning. Can the O line run block or pass block decently I see Pollock as a problem and think he needs replaced next year. The defense is a question mark. Will the vets support Browning or want to shut it down.

I want to make the playoffs as well, but any win from here on out is basically house money, correct? So no reason for people to aneurism in the GD threads or whine about every loss till the end of the season. I think it's much better to sit and enjoy watching them play, hope they win, but really no pressure if they don't. Burrow is shut down and can focus on his calf and wrist, and try again next year. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 04:08 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Neither of our backup Quarterbacks are NFL caliber.But,we’re stuck with them,and,knowing Mike Brown,that’s as good as it’s going to get.

Why do people think Mike Brown still makes the decisions around here?

(11-20-2023, 01:18 AM)WestieInDelhi Wrote: He’s going to be fine, and although it may not be popular to say here, probably isn’t much of a downgrade for the way Burrow has been playing most of this year. Things are lining up well for a nice run and expectations are low. He’s actually a pretty solid QB just hasn’t had a shot yet. I’d rather have him than Brock or Dobbs tbh. I love the Bengals but I’ve never bought into the whole Burrow is God mantra that most seem to. He’s a good, but not great, QB who has a ton of weapons and with that and some luck was able to make a couple of playoff runs. He isn’t obsessed with football like Tom Brady. Doesn’t have the win at all costs spirit of Brett Favre. Certainly is not as cool and laid back as Joe Namath. He’s a marketable guy though and the media is pushing him as the face of the NFL and most of the fan base, understandably, bought in.

Assuming you're not a troll (and if you ARE a troll, clearly not a good one) this has got to be the worst first post someone's made in Bengals Board history.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I want to make the playoffs as well, but any win from here on out is basically house money, correct? So no reason for people to aneurism in the GD threads or whine about every loss till the end of the season. I think it's much better to sit and enjoy watching them play, hope they win, but really no pressure if they don't. Burrow is shut down and can focus on his calf and wrist, and try again next year. 

It is true the pressure is off now. You never know what will happen when it is like this, playing without pressure and nothing to lose
makes you a dangerous team. I am going to enjoy the rest of the season without fretting like I do when I want us to win on nearly 
every snap and play as perfect as possible. We see good things from here on out it is gravy, especially with the youth on the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why do people think Mike Brown still makes the decisions around here?

Assuming you're not a troll (and if you ARE a troll, clearly not a good one) this has got to be the worst first post someone's made in Bengals Board history.

Not a troll, just being real. Have no clue why it matters being a first post. I’m a Bengals fan first and root for Burrow because of that, not the other way around. Like I said he’s a good quarterback, and I’m happy he’s with the Bengals but the hype around him is over the top.

Browning is not a bad quarterback and the ridiculous nonsense I see on this message board about 1) losing every remaining game or tanking for a draft pick, or 2) Signing Tom Brady or handing the keys over to AJ, is just completely ridiculous. Far too many examples recently, and in the past, of “garbage” backups finally getting a chance and rising to the occasion to just conclude the season is over and Browning is a bum.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 03:54 PM)WestieInDelhi Wrote: Not a troll, just being real. Have no clue why it matters being a first post. I’m a Bengals fan first and root for Burrow because of that, not the other way around. Like I said he’s a good quarterback, and I’m happy he’s with the Bengals but the hype around him is over the top.

Browning is not a bad quarterback and the ridiculous nonsense I see on this message board about 1) losing every remaining game or tanking for a draft pick, or 2) Signing Tom Brady or handing the keys over to AJ, is just completely ridiculous. Far too many examples recently, and in the past, of “garbage” backups finally getting a chance and rising to the occasion to just conclude the season is over and Browning is a bum.

I agree, Browning needs a shot with a full week's prep with the ones and see where it leads. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 03:54 PM)WestieInDelhi Wrote: Not a troll, just being real. Have no clue why it matters being a first post. I’m a Bengals fan first and root for Burrow because of that, not the other way around. Like I said he’s a good quarterback, and I’m happy he’s with the Bengals but the hype around him is over the top.

As an example of "garbage" backups finally getting a chance and rising to the occasion, the feel-good story has to be Tony DeVito of the Giants. Undrafted. Not even invited to combine. First two QBs go down. And he leads his team to a rare victory with a 137.7 QB rating and 3 TDs -- despite being sacked 9 times. 

We don't know what the Bengals have in Browning. And I can't imagine a harder first-two games, back-to-back, than the Ravens and Steelers' defenses. But let's hope he turns out like some of the other feel-good stories we are seeing this year with backup QBs. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 08:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it's time for Battle to take the starting job, but I thought that prior to this injury. The rest, yes work them in, but still play the stars because we are not out of anything yet. Remember, Watson is done for the year, Lamar is hobbled and lost Andrew for the year. There's no telling what happens in the next 7 weeks.

A joe flacco led Browns team will win the superbowl. That would be a story for the ages with Chubb out and would make zero sense. if the NFL wants to throw a curveball, throw it.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why do people think Mike Brown still makes the decisions around here?

Because he is the Owner and President of the Bengals.  He oversees the daily business operations and ensures they are carrying out the daily operations of the company.  He also meets with other managers/officers of the Bengals to make sure their decisions are in the best interest of the company.
Basically, all major decisions (and maybe some minor ones as well), need to have his stamp of approval.  So, you could say he makes the final decision(s).
Burrow's contract?  No way in hell Mike didn't sign off on it and likely participated in generating the contract value/length.

I am currently Vice President and minority owner of a family-owned construction company, so I can assure you that what I've stated above is an accurate description of reality, unless of course, he becomes incapacitated and is unable to carry on his duties, for which I have seen no evidence that that has happened.

If Mike says, "Duke, go out and bring Foles in for a tryout", you bet your ass Duke is going to be on the horn with Foles's agent.  Mike's the boss and the buck stops with him until he dies or notifies us otherwise.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I'm impressed. Some things from his "sit down' with Hobbs:
https://www.bengals.com/news/jake-browning-leads-bengals-into-playoff-push-looking-to-win-fi
Quote:That's kind of been my thing to the coaches. 'Hey, let's call whatever plays are going to help us beat the Steelers,' and not be as worried as much about whether they're protecting me with certain play calls or trying to run the ball just to give me plays off or something like that. Let's call plays to go win the game.

Yeah, I'm not looking to pat the baby back there. But part of that is mixing up when you're going to take your shots. You don't want to just sit there and quick game the whole game. You don't want to let DBs just play downhill. You want to challenge them. It's just anytime you're going against a good pass rush, whether it's Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or basically this whole division, you want to pick and choose your spots. You still have to challenge people down the field.

As far as the favorite plays thing, Joe likes having that throughout the week and my thing is just call … just get someone open. I'll get it to the open guys. Just get somebody open and call whatever is going to help us beat the Steelers and I'll just play accordingly.

And I dig how he shut Hobbs down on these
Quote:GH: what your favorite plays are. What do you like? Obviously, I don't want you to tell me that ….
JB: I wasn't planning on it.

GH: You left Cali with a lot of records...What's your favorite
JB: I don't know
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote