Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now, the truth starts to emerge from some of the veterans..
(09-21-2015, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To think that American forces were told to "look the other way". 

Told to look the other way by whom?  The military chain of command.

Quote:I believe that I am beginning to understand what bfine means when he has seen what is behind the curtain, so to speak.  And, all of you that claim that we have no business over there, meddling in affairs that have went on forever..  Can it.
What have you done?  Nothing.  So can it.
I bet you're one of those people against foreign aid.  So can it.
I bet you're one of those people complaining about Obama keeping troops in Afghanistan.  So can it.
I bet you're one of those people complaining about Obama's involvement in Syria.  So can it.
I bet you're one of those people who claim we aren't the world's police force during our involvement in places like Haiti, Bosnia, Sinai.  Hell, I'll bet you don't even know about the Sinai.  So can it.
I bet you're one of those people who don't want us involved in Rwanda and similar countries with similar situations.  So can it.
Quote: 
You seem to vote liberal when it comes to here at home, but what about children that have it so bad everywhere else??

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/world/asia/us-soldiers-told-to-ignore-afghan-allies-abuse-of-boys.html?_r=0
Why don't you care about the children of the Central African Republic?  So can it.
(09-22-2015, 09:38 AM)Blutarsky Wrote: Perhaps the education you receive from watching this video will cause you to have a change of heart...from being disgusted to at least having understanding why America is the worlds policeman.

Have understanding first, then refute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176KRhEAgUs

The US military's mission doesn't involve policing the world.  Period.

But, of course, you wouldn't know anything about that now would you?
So our country should now invade and set straight any country that is cool with child abuse?

When do we start shelling The Vatican?
(09-22-2015, 01:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So you think we should only try to make live better for those that make it to our country?

I must admit, I have no idea what the majority of your post had to do with the question at hand. 

I must admit, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Giving someone a place to live where it's less like their kids will be sexually abused by public officials, if that's what you mean by better... then yes. If you mean everyone a new car and Twinkies... then no.

More direct questions get more direct answers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-22-2015, 10:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We should pull the help away.  And close immigration/student visas.    That will force changes, several nations survive off of sending kids here on student visas

Well that makes no sense.

And your answer to abused kids is to force them to stay in a country and get educated that's operated by a system which perpetuates the idea it's ok for an adult male to has sex with an underage male against his will?

See the flaw there?

But I do agree — I think — with pulling the help away if you're talking about foreign aide. We dole out too much as is.
(09-22-2015, 10:03 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not saying it wasn't happening, I'm saying it wasn't as rampant until we kicked the Taliban out. Everything we've been shown about this says the Taliban had made this illegal and it was not as much the norm. Then we kicked the Taliban out and put people in power that are involved in this. So through our invasion and creation of a power vacuum that we then filled, we perpetuated the problem.

Are you talking about the same Taliban that mutilated a young girl because she tried to walk to school abd then went to her house and murdered her whole family for allowing it 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-22-2015, 07:48 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's disgusting, and it's a human rights violation, but we are not, or should not, be the world's police force. I am for a smaller federal government and the idea that we should be handling these things around the world is contrary to that.

Do you think we should be the world's housing project? 

(09-22-2015, 11:18 AM)Benton Wrote: Well that makes no sense.

And your answer to abused kids is to force them to stay in a country and get educated that's operated by a system which perpetuates the idea it's ok for an adult male to has sex with an underage male against his will?

See the flaw there?

But I do agree — I think — with pulling the help away if you're talking about foreign aide. We dole out too much as is.

It's not a "system", it's a religious belief. 

So do you think that those that come here should be forced to assimilate? 

(09-22-2015, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you talking about the same Taliban that mutilated a young girl because she tried to walk to school abd then went to her house and murdered her whole family for allowing it 

That's shitty and all, and is a horrible thing. But this goes back to my comments about us being the world's police force. I'll accept the argument that we should be taking care of this stuff around the world from the hawks in this country once they start caring about these sorts of situations in places where it is no benefit to us. Don't kid yourself, we didn't go after the Taliban for their human rights violations, we did it because of their ties to Bin Laden.

(09-22-2015, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think we should be the world's housing project? 

Not sure what this has to do with anything I said, but whatever.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-22-2015, 12:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's shitty and all, and is a horrible thing. But this goes back to my comments about us being the world's police force. I'll accept the argument that we should be taking care of this stuff around the world from the hawks in this country once they start caring about these sorts of situations in places where it is no benefit to us. Don't kid yourself, we didn't go after the Taliban for their human rights violations, we did it because of their ties to Bin Laden.

Not sure what this has to do with anything I said, but whatever.

We went after the Taliban because they were bringing terror to our doorstep. We got there and saw behind the curtain and found what we saw reprehensible.  

You say we should try to instill morality "world's police" as you call with your sandals on, so if we cannot instill a stable, moral living environment elsewhere then do you think we should accept all "world's housing project" who flee the environment you suggest we should not tamper with? 

(09-22-2015, 12:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This seems like a "their country, their problem" mentality. Do you think other countries should accept their immigrants? 

(09-22-2015, 01:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So you think we should only try to make live better for those that make it to our country?

I must admit, I have no idea what the majority of your post had to do with the question at hand. 

(09-22-2015, 12:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you talking about the same Taliban that mutilated a young girl because she tried to walk to school abd then went to her house and murdered her whole family for allowing it 

(09-22-2015, 12:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think we should be the world's housing project? 

(09-22-2015, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's not a "system", it's a religious belief. 

So do you think that those that come here should be forced to assimilate? 

(09-22-2015, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We went after the Taliban because they were bringing terror to our doorstep. We got there and saw behind the curtain and found what we saw reprehensible.  

You say we should try to instill morality "world's police" as you call with your sandals on, so if we cannot instill a stable, moral living environment elsewhere then do you think we should accept all "world's housing project" who flee the environment you suggest we should not tamper with? 

So many questions...so little substance.  Good little troll.

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-22-2015, 12:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: So many questions...so little substance.  Good little troll.

Rock On

You bring absolutely nothing to every conversation and choose to call someone else a troll. 

(09-22-2015, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We went after the Taliban because they were bringing terror to our doorstep. We got there and saw behind the curtain and found what we saw reprehensible.  

Exactly right. That still means we did not go in and take out the Taliban for those reprehensible acts. We went in for the terrorism/Bin Laden angle. So this does not refute what I said.

(09-22-2015, 12:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You say we should try to instill morality "world's police" as you call with your sandals on, so if we cannot instill a stable, moral living environment elsewhere then do you think we should accept all "world's housing project" who flee the environment you suggest we should not tamper with? 

Why should we? Everyone has immigration quotas, us included. And they should be upheld. Do you think we should allow people to come here from those poor countries we decide not to meddle in?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-22-2015, 12:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Exactly right. That still means we did not go in and take out the Taliban for those reprehensible acts. We went in for the terrorism/Bin Laden angle. So this does not refute what I said.

Why should we? Everyone has immigration quotas, us included. And they should be upheld. Do you think we should allow people to come here from those poor countries we decide not to meddle in?

But it does refute the suggestion that we should turn a blind eye while there. I'm surprised you would suggest we stand by while peoples' huperson rights were being destroyed.

Of course we should allow people to immigrate that do so legally. 

Do you think we should try to correct wrongs we see in other countries while there? We didn't join WWII because Germany was killing Jews.

What's wrong with sandals? Confused
This is a difficult topic.

We need to protect our interests as well the interests of our allies wherever they may be in the world. Those interests may be tactical, political, or resource driven. The issue we run into often is the fact, and it has been said already, is that policing the world is not the mission of the US military. Occupation of a country indefinitely is incredibly expensive whether you consider the financial aspect or the soldier himself. It becomes draining in all aspects, as well it has yet to prove effective, nation building that is.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(09-22-2015, 01:04 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This is a difficult topic.

We need to protect our interests as well the interests of our allies wherever they may be in the world.  Those interests may be tactical, political, or resource driven.  The issue we run into often is the fact, and it has been said already, is that policing the world is not the mission of the US military.  Occupation of a country indefinitely is incredibly expensive whether you consider the financial aspect or the soldier himself.  It becomes draining in all aspects, as well it has yet to prove effective, nation building that is.

We did pretty good work in Germany while occupying it. Hell we're still there.

(09-22-2015, 01:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We did pretty good work in Germany while occupying it. Hell we're still there.

I agree with this. Germany and Japan are success stories.  We do not occupy them however and have not since 1955.  We have bases there, but we have bases in many countries we have never occupied.

(09-22-2015, 01:12 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I agree with this. Germany and Japan are success stories.  We do not occupy them however and have not since 1955.  We have bases there, but we have bases in many countries we have never occupied.

And I would love for the presence we have in Europe and Asia to be shifted to the Middle East. 

(09-22-2015, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I would love for the presence we have in Europe and Asia to be shifted to the Middle East. 

And so we do that.  The problem?...What is the long term goal?  Outside of Israel, name a middle eastern country we have had success with nation building, or regime change.  Our presence in Germany is not due to Germany.  Our presence in Japan and South Korea isn't due to them.